Pro Wrestling Only

NXT Takeover: XXX

cactus

This starts in half hour and looks like it might be fun even if the last Takeover was probably weakest one yet. I'm curious to see what they are going to do with the Adam Cole versus Pat McAfee match. This is probably the most I've been intrigued by an Adam Cole match. Karrion Kross fights for the NXT title in the main event against Keith Lee. I have no idea who's winning this as Keith's just won the title, but they seem very high on Kross. 

As much I don't like Graves, I love Graves shitting on incredibly stupid Dream was for going from a really high ladder to much smaller ladder in order to reach for the belt. But it does look like they have killed him off with that leap into the tables and whatever the hell was on that table.     Plenty of brutal bumps in the match from everyone.   

I missed the first hour - I'll catch up after - but joined in just in time to catch the true main event.

Pat McAfee vs. Adam Cole

Not a great match, but a fun spectacle. Pat was much better than expected. He carried Cole well. :) 

The finish looked fake as shit though. I hate overly choreographed bullshit moves like that.

I dug Cole vs McAffe. McAffe is a natural and I hope he comes back. He's got charisma for days and he's incredibly athletic. Cole working a non-wrestler forced him to slow right down and it seems like he's got a solid set of fundamentals. More of this Cole, and less of Crossfit indyriffic wrestling Cole please! 

I didn't pay much attention to the women's match, but it looked decent. Riley looked fantastic in post-match. 

I'd normally be sore at the result - I'm not sold on Kross yet - but Keith Lee should have been called up to the main roster a year ago (yes, I still and always will consider NXT developmental) and was obviously a placeholder champ after Dream fell through. 

The worst thing Bret Hart has ever done in his career was introducing the ladder match to Vince McMahon. The worst thing the Hardys ever did was to introduce the clusterfuck ladder match to WWF. How many ladder matches does WWE run each year on TV / PPV? It has to be at least 10 on average the last couple of years. Looking at matches like this, it's amazing, that there have not been more Joey Mercurys, Edges and Christians, who got their careers seriously shortened by the insane spots.

Just this match alone had a bunch of spots, that could have easily gone wrong and if they had gone wrong, it would have been really bad. For example, Damian Priest almost did not get the necessary length he needed to get in the Paul London ladder run dive spot (it looks like he stumbled at the end or got a bit scared and reduced speed). Also look how close Reed's and Candice's heads were together during the big splash. The impact could have gone seriously wrong.

5 hours ago, EricR said:

I thought McAfee/Cole was really great, and I love non wrestler matches. McAfee kept looking more and more like a natural, and all of the stuff around him using his punting was fantastic. 

McAfee has been training with Rip Rogers for a few years now. That’s probably why he looked so good. 

I'm not a Balor fan, but that was the best Balor match I've seen.  It was also the second Thatcher match I've seen and both were really good.  It's really weird seeing Thatcher's style in the WWE, even if NXT is not really aligned with the main roster.  It's also weird seeing Balor, the first Universal champion, curtain jerking NXT.

A former punter who trained with Rip Rogers being a more polished worker right out the gate than most wrestlers who've been at the Performance Center for years is yet more evidence that the PC is the worst wrestling school in history. I mean, even the Power Plant turned out Goldberg. You can chalk it up somewhat to McAfee's natural athletic ability, but there's no shortage of athleticism at the PC with all the NFL combine bullshit they make trainees do.

Takeover was alright.  I don't think I've ever seen an outright bad Takeover yet.  MVPs were McAfee and Thatcher.

Shirai bounced back pretty well after that early botch, looked like she hurt herself for a little bit.  Match was fine, though the ending was flat.

Main event was definitely not good.