Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - September16, 2020

MoS

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great return to form. That main event was wild in a way that I was never expecting Best Friends to get; Trent took some absolutely nasty bumps, my god. You can tell there's something in the water when both Hager and Chuck Taylor put in top-drawer performances. I've said it before and I'll say it again; Moxley and Darby's weird little friendship might be my favourite long-running story in AEW. Two loners that always help each other out because they're both headcases is great and Moxley picking Hobbs is exactly something he'd do. 

Though I am surprised they haven't booked a stronger card for LND since I'm not sure Jericho being on commentary is enough. I'd have maybe had a Young Bucks match in there too.

In the 90's, that would make for good little pro-wrestling folklore. In 2020, people make whining tweets and call for people to lose their jobs and win Internet points.

Whatever happens with Ivelisse it's too bad, because she's better than 90% of the AEW roster (Diamanté is not even close to Ivy in term of in-ring talent, let's not be silly here). She may be difficult to deal with, but her stuff is not difficult to watch like, say, Swole. Oh anyway, it was fun while it lasted. IMPACT, wanna grab one more to piss off the usual Twitter crowd ?

How long is Thunder Rosa gonna stay within the NWA btw ? I mean, really, she's the best catch AEW can do right now (straight at the very top of their female roster in term of both in-ring talent and charisma) and it seems she's becoming more and more of a regular...

Yeah, really good stuff this week, nothing much to add to what's been said already. Main event was ridiculous

4 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Not to mention of all people to decide to do it with, it's against someone representing another company so you can burn two bridges for the price of one.

That's kinda the beauty of it, actually. :lol: (for personal reasons, I will always kinda have a soft spot for anyone not giving a flying fuck)

Although, burning bridges with the NWA is basically burning a bridge to nowhere (hey, I enjoyed the second season of Powerr, but let's be realistic for a second, those weekly "PPV" aren't even really NWA stuff).

Yeah, but Billy is at least someone willing to spend money to run professional wrestling shows. That's not something common enough to be able to afford to piss one of them off. 

At this point, if it wasn't clear already, it seems like she needs to be moved  fully into the "not worth the hassle" pile. 

7 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Yeah, but Billy is at least someone willing to spend money to run professional wrestling shows.

He's not doing that right now. Nothing clearly indicates he's gonna do it again in a near future either (the weekly PPV are not his deal apparently and definitely aren't done under the NWA umbrella).

Hey, I'm an Ivy fan, I don't care. I'm also a Thunder Rosa fan. So, if I get Rosa on my AEW TV every week anyway, I'm fine with it. I'd rather have both, of course.

32 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Ivelisse continuing to be the female Austin Aries is not surprising but disappointing. Not to mention of all people to decide to do it with, it's against someone representing another company so you can burn two bridges for the price of one.

The problem with Ivelisse is that, even if you're willing to deal with her constantly being a headache - which arguably her work isn't good enough for even that, she also appears to be injury prone on top of that. Poor girl went through so much in Lucha Underground, I felt like I was watching Lionheart & was saying "just stay down!"

3 minutes ago, Coffey said:

Poor girl went through so much in Lucha Underground, I felt like I was watching Lionheart & was saying "just stay down!"

Yeah, she will always and forever remain a highlight of the show that brought me back into current pro-wrestling. She did not have it easy at all.

Damn, and now I realize I do miss Dario Cueto sitting in his office, planning some evil stuff... :( As much as I really enjoy AEW a lot, LU was the future.

Just watched the match. While I personally enjoyed it, it was clear that something was weird from the moment Ive slapped Rosa, which was basically the opening moment.

I think that the question here is not "Is Ivelisse talented enough?", but instead "Is Ivelisse cooperative enough?". When you have this match, Jack Evans, Tessa, Mia Yim and others saying how much of a headache you are, all of your talent - and Ivelisse certainly is good enough - just goes to waste.

Like, talented people were sacked in other sports due to their behavior. It happens constantly in associated soccer and my team suffered from that a lot. No reason why that should be different when it comes to pro wrestling, even moreso when it is all about two people or more cooperating to make the match good.

When one of your wrestlers already has well-known history and doesn't cooperate, there isn't much you can do but let that wrestler go.

37 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Just watched the match. While I personally enjoyed it, it was clear that something was weird from the moment Ive slapped Rosa, which was basically the opening moment.

I think that the question here is not "Is Ivelisse talented enough?", but instead "Is Ivelisse cooperative enough?". When you have this match, Jack Evans, Tessa, Mia Yim and others saying how much of a headache you are, all of your talent - and Ivelisse certainly is good enough - just goes to waste.

Like, talented people were sacked in other sports due to their behavior. It happens constantly in associated soccer and my team suffered from that a lot. No reason why that should be different when it comes to pro wrestling, even moreso when it is all about two people or more cooperating to make the match good.

When one of your wrestlers already has well-known history and doesn't cooperate, there isn't much you can do but let that wrestler go.

I think the best indictment is that the recently passed Casey Michael, who devoted his entire life to women's wrestling and those who do it,  didn't like you that was the largest red flag possible. 

The overreacting is amazing. People act like Ivelisse injured someone or something. Yeah, match got stiff (and was no less fun because of it). Big fucking deal. It's not like she carelessly threw a chair into someone's head or something. :rolleyes: Or threw a helpless opponent straight into metal steps... 

I just watched the show (before reading any of this) and didn't notice any egregious no selling or lack of cooperation in the match.  whatever.  what are the sources on heat over the match?

anyway......

Great show top to bottom.  Maybe the best show beginning to end match quality wise?  At least since the start of the pandemic.  Everything was solid-good, nothing dragged, and the Parking Lot Fight was dope as fuck

- I thought Jungle Boy was the star of the opener.  Love all the pinning combinations and rollups he uses.  He had a really nice victory roll, a crucifix, and I think a rolling cradle that were all plausible as near falls.  It works perfectly for someone like him who is agile and athletic but also on the smaller side.  When he gets the eventual singles push I can absolutely see him stealing pins on bigger/stronger opponents that way

- Really liked Page and Kaz, with Omega on commentary furthering the story

- Private Party are hit and miss but Jericho and Hager had a fun match with them

- I often skip the womens matches on AEW (not that I don't like womens wrestling, I like it a lot when it's good) so Thunder Rosa and Ivalese are a breath of fresh air here.  Really enjoyed this match.

- Loved Jake & Archer making a deal with Taz and the setup for the 6 man

- The Anniversary show is looking great on paper

- What can I say about the Parking Lot Fight?  some really creative and brutal looking shit here.  I thought Chuck killed Santana when he threw him into the side mirror of the sedan.  Poor Ortiz getting senton'd TWICE under the hood.  Loved the ending with Sue.  Thought Orange showing up was perfect.  Turnabout is fair play dealing with thugs like Santana & Ortiz.  No Inner Circle involvement, I feel like they're gradually splitting that group up

Next weeks show looks like a lot of fun too.  Orange Cassidy vs. Brodie Lee should be great, and if you've followed the Dark Order's attempts to recruit on BTE it plays into that

12 hours ago, El-P said:

People complain about too much tigh slapping and whatnot, then this happens and they complain again. B)

I guess that was the AEW drama spot of the week. Gotta have one. Twitter People are bored. And boring, mostly.

Definitely no in between from thigh slapping and shooting on someone.

2 hours ago, FMKK said:

Definitely no in between from thigh slapping and shooting on someone.

Yeah, "shooting"... Funny how there are people talking about how Ivelisse was so unprofessional and how she should be gone and making Gifs on Twitter because of my god this was sooo bad, but there are also a bunch of people who are like "Really good match there", basically, not making anything more out of it.

Why I mentioned tight slapping, in a bit of a jest because I have talked about that before, is that watching the match, to me it just seemed rough around the edge and a wee bit heated, but that actually gave it an interesting edge and realism to it, which was *fun* to watch. People complain all the time that matches don't look like a struggle and too much like cooperation. Well, this looked more like a struggle. It had an old-school kinda japanese feel to it. So yeah, I think some people are way overreacting. Give me Ivelisse trying her opponent a little bit any day, it makes for fun stuff. 

I dunno, if I was running a wrestling company and someone on my payroll was refusing to cooperate in a match with someone from another promotion I'm trying to cultivate a relationship with, I'd probably can them. 

I wouldn't say that this looked like more of a struggle.

I have seen the whole match (well, what was showed of it). Of course there was some awkwardness because Ivelisse absolutely did fuck with Rosa at times. And I don't make my opinion from a stupid gif posted on Twitter (especially from *that* Twitter account, thank you very much. :lol:).

10 minutes ago, El-P said:

I have seen the whole match (well, what was showed of it). Of course there was some awkwardness because Ivelisse absolutely did fuck with Rosa at times. And I don't make my opinion from a stupid gif posted on Twitter (especially from *that* Twitter account, thank you very much. :lol:).

You can look at all the other spots in the match too and the fact they had to cut to tight shots of the ring as a lot of wrestlers walked away from ringside in disgust over Ivelisse's professionalism.

Two AEW wrestlers I talked to said it was the first in-ring shoot in AEW history also.