Pro Wrestling Only

2020 Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame

NintendoLogic

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you meant by it, like the way an old football coach describes a d-end as stiff he means not a lot of bend in the ankles, knees, hips, not a lot of explosiveness and a lack of overall body control. Thats how I took it. I gotta ask you have you not seen Kobashi's work from his early years? For a kid that age, size, and experience level he's as fluid, nimble  and as explosive as I've ever seen.  

I know what you meant by it, like the way an old football coach describes a d-end as stiff he means not a lot of bend in the ankles, knees, hips, not a lot of explosiveness and a lack of overall body control. Thats how I took it. I gotta ask you have you not seen Kobashi's work from his early years? For a kid that age, size, and experience level he's as fluid, nimble  and as explosive as I've ever seen.  

4 hours ago, joeg said:

I gotta ask you have you not seen Kobashi's work from his early years? For a kid that age, size, and experience level he's as fluid, nimble  and as explosive as I've ever seen.  

I have, in lenght. A long time ago though, so it's absolutely possible I'm clouded by my latest vision of Kobashi's work, which is the NOAH Kobashi, which I've rewatched a few years ago.

4 hours ago, El-P said:

I have, in lenght. A long time ago though, so it's absolutely possible I'm clouded by my latest vision of Kobashi's work, which is the NOAH Kobashi, which I've rewatched a few years ago.

I watched this yesterday and it took me by surprise:

Primarily, because I've been watching everything we have available from 89 AJPW chronologically and Kobashi's only shown up once or twice (a handheld where Nakano takes most of the match comes to mind and I can't think of anything else) while Kawada's been in high profile stuff against Yatsu/Jumbo (as well as Footloose tags up and down) all year.

Are you saying that now that he's in the HOF he's really starting to show that he belongs because he's now making a difference in 2 places?  While that may be true, that essentially means the induction itself is premature when people could have waited another year to decide.  From all I've seen and read, it appears the major bone of contention is that Omega was in the Japanese section, requiring less votes to get in, when most seem to say his AEW (non-Japan) work was a deciding factor.

Let's compare him to AJ Styles, who if memory serves (feel free to refute this), he was on the American section coming off TNA, got dropped off due to shockingly low support, came back on under the Japan section, didn't get voted in, then moved to the American section upon entering WWE and then got in.  If that's the case then Omega should have moved to the American section this year.

I don't see why him being in the Japan section was such an issue for some, he was a proven draw and was just announcing him on the card was enough for the ROH shows he was on to sell out.  I think you can more than make a HOF case on his New Japan run alone and anything he did in AEW would just be icing on the cake.