Pro Wrestling Only

GWE 2021

Matt D

@Alan4L@InYourCase

So I have no idea exactly what's going on with this, but I saw something through the grapevine. I'm not sure where the hub is or the timeline or anything else. I assume social media since that's how you guys did GME?

I do have a few helpful thoughts though. Feel free to repost parts of this elsewhere or not

1. It's absolutely imperative that you guys define your criteria. I'd suggest something extremely simple such as "This is based on in-ring work as can be proven by footage." Otherwise you get people putting down Dusty for his promos or Hogan for his drawing or someone like Danny Hodge when there's barely enough footage to know anything at all and you just get a mishmash of confusion. That said, "how good a wrestler is in ring" can be informed by interviews and other things because they help you see patterns. For instance, I think each and every one of you (Stace, I'm looking at you), should hold the last few years of NXT against Michaels, but feel free to give Arn a few points for coming up with all of the best Cena finishes (like the Batista LMS finish).

2. I'm happy to update the master list of Segunda Caida New Footage Friday over the next couple of weeks. I think it'll be pretty useful for you guys trying to figure out what new footage has come out since mid 2018 as 75% of everyone's lists are people who haven't been active since the last list. http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2019/09/new-footage-friday-master-list.html

3. As for the French Catch footage (the biggest footage dump since the last GWE), use the master list on PWO. It probably makes the most sense to look at the wrestlers who show up on the list the most times. Delaporte and Bollet certainly have a case. Guys like Labat/Sola/Leduc/etc probably deserve a look. Petit Prince, though there are less matches. Plus the ones where we have footage elsewhere like Lasartesse. You need enough matches to make a case and there's only so much time, so prioritize.

4. Vote Bock! Here's my previous case for him, that I wrote probably too late to sway voters, and it's only been made better by the few new matches we've gotten of his:

5. Look, I really enjoyed GWE and wish everyone the best of luck but most likely, I'll see you kids in 2026. Part of it's time. Part of it's that I'm deep in some other projects, but a lot is that those projects mean that I could rank Tenryu but not Misawa and that just feels weird and unpleasant to me. Part of it is that I'll probably be more willing to engage with people on social media then. That said, I'm happy to talk anything over with anyone. Feel free to reach out.

By no means have Alan and I intended to make this as all encompassing as it was in 2016. We both felt like the wrestling world has changed a lot in five years (plus with the pandemic we've been watching much more classic wrestling than current wrestling), so we felt like refreshing our ballots. We invited others to do the same if they'd like. It's a shortened timeline than what we did five years ago, but it's not supposed to be the massive overtaking that the 2016 project was. We're using the same criteria that was used in 2016. We did a podcast (up on the Torch site) explaining everything. 

It looks like we're going to have a website helping us out as a centralized hub but that isn't nailed down just yet. 

Come 2024, I'll want to rally the troops again and do a big, expansive project. This time around it's simply a refresh to see how our tastes have changed, represent guys who have made it onto our lists over the last 5 years, and to have a little fun. Alan and I are going to be doing some pods about it over the next few months and we simply encouraged people to join in if they're enjoying the episodes. 

(I also am a Bock voter.)

On 11/14/2020 at 4:42 PM, InYourCase said:

By no means have Alan and I intended to make this as all encompassing as it was in 2016. We both felt like the wrestling world has changed a lot in five years (plus with the pandemic we've been watching much more classic wrestling than current wrestling), so we felt like refreshing our ballots. We invited others to do the same if they'd like. It's a shortened timeline than what we did five years ago, but it's not supposed to be the massive overtaking that the 2016 project was. We're using the same criteria that was used in 2016. We did a podcast (up on the Torch site) explaining everything. 

It looks like we're going to have a website helping us out as a centralized hub but that isn't nailed down just yet. 

Come 2024, I'll want to rally the troops again and do a big, expansive project. This time around it's simply a refresh to see how our tastes have changed, represent guys who have made it onto our lists over the last 5 years, and to have a little fun. Alan and I are going to be doing some pods about it over the next few months and we simply encouraged people to join in if they're enjoying the episodes. 

(I also am a Bock voter.)

For whatever it's worth, I'm about 99% sure Grimmas still plans to run 2026, as I was talking to about it pretty recently. It's still a bit early for that to be set on the how at this point, but yeah, he still plans on running it just like he ran 2016 as of a couple weeks ago. 

On 11/17/2020 at 10:39 PM, El Dragon said:

For whatever it's worth, I'm about 99% sure Grimmas still plans to run 2026, as I was talking to about it pretty recently. It's still a bit early for that to be set on the how at this point, but yeah, he still plans on running it just like he ran 2016 as of a couple weeks ago. 

The more help the merrier!

• 1 month later...

Alan4L set up a Slack that you can find on his Twitter. That's where others have joined us in discussion. We have a few different channels set up there to discuss various topics. 

Alan and I will be posting our revamped ballots in April 2021, yes. Again, this is not meant to be a formal project like it was in 2016, but we'd love for others to join us to talk about what they're watching.