Pro Wrestling Only

Ken the Box

Grimmas

Elliott said: "Epic brawler with a knack working psychological masterpieces. On the short list of most interesting characters in wrestling history and the definition of the wrestler you want to see vs anybody. Ken the Box vs Brock Lesnar? Ken the Box vs Lou Thesz? Ken the Box vs Jaguar Yokota? Ken the Box vs Sabu? Ken the Box vs Shinya Hashimoto? Ken the Box vs Abdullah the Butcher? Ken the Box vs Kenta Kobashi (Battle of the Kens!)? These are all guarateed 5 star matches. I challenge anyone to come up with an opponent for Ken the Box that wouldn't be a 5 star match. He's the only wrestler in history you could say that about. Ken the Box is the ultimate cheat code. He solved pro-wrestling. "

• 7 months later...

Survival Tobita matches are funny and all, but why is it this opponent that grabs people the most?

I think If we didn't call him such a funny name in English he probably wouldn't have gotten nominated, if his name had been translated properly on bootleg tapes as Ken the Wooden Man or Wooden Ken or whatever this thread wouldn't exist.

I disagree, I've always called him Mokujin Ken after the monster from Tekken. The fact that he's a blocky wooden monster with club hands who happpens to be plainly named "Ken" is hilarious enough.

I think part of the mystique is that he's the one monster Tobita couldn't beat. The strongest thing in the universe being a blocky piece of lumber that clubs you in the head is hilarious on it's own. Also his taunt, and the fact he can only exist in this scuzzy underworld of Japanese indy wrestling where they don't use rings.

On 12/15/2021 at 10:20 AM, El McKell said:

Survival Tobita matches are funny and all, but why is it this opponent that grabs people the most?

I think If we didn't call him such a funny name in English he probably wouldn't have gotten nominated, if his name had been translated properly on bootleg tapes as Ken the Wooden Man or Wooden Ken or whatever this thread wouldn't exist.

He lost a match by count out because he couldn't get into the ring because he's made of boxes. That's just the best.