Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - Sept 15 2021

gordi

4 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

FTR vs Sydal/Dante was alright, but it was basically just a showcase for Dante. Dude jumps really fucking high!

In what universe is this a bad thing?!?!

3 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Dynamite was kinda meh, not gonna lie. That first hour was particularly rough with some pretty bad segments

Everything had a purpose, to book and build matches for next week. I thought it was perfect weekly episodic booking, something AEW has got great at, even if there was no marquee match on the lineup - unless you're one of those who really liked Kaz-Cole - or even a marquee segment apart from the Danielson-Omega confrontation and the Punk beatdown, both of which I thought they absolutely nailed, although I have no idea how they were allowed to say shit on TV so many times. The only segment I thought was actually bad was the Dan Lambert segment. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, MoS said:

Ah, my bad, I thought you weren't high (heh) on him, and I actually haven't seen a single fan who hasn't been at least somewhat high on the guy so I was curious about what you didn't like about him

No, he has tons of upside! I love that he doesn't have to do insane flips because he is doing more basic things in breath-taking fashion. The height he gets on that Missile Dropkick is fucking amazing.

He kinda reminds me of ECW/Air Boom Sydal, who was also a super fun young dude to watch. 

The more I think about it, the more I realize this Lambert shit really ticks off most of my boxes on shit I really dislike

1. Explicitly pointing out things are fake, but THIS and THESE people are real

2. Angles about guys complaining about booking

3. Using real sport athletes not to add legitimacy to pro wrestling, but to point out how lame and fake pro wrestling is

4. Getting heel heat by telling fans they're stupid and wasting their time watching the shows

5. People like this repeatedly being clearly invited guests and given TV and ring time for no apparent reason

6. Chris Jericho

7. Jack Swagger

Just really veered into full Russoism bullshit last night and my fear is it won't end next week, but Hager will turn on Jericho and join his MMA buddies and that will be Jericho's next 9 months.

Also was not a fan of Christian's dig on NXT/Cole, as that A. Felt way out of character for a vet face B. Shits on a lot more talent than just Adam Cole in AEW. 

I'm just fucking mad that he has Andrei Arlovski and Cigano - actual outsiders - in the ring and yet the ones having a match are.... Ethan Page and Scorpio Sky. Who are signed to AEW. 

And with Jericho making allusions to Brock Lesnar AND Bill Goldberg, saying he's had "shoot fights" with both and survived, no way this shit ends here. 

It wouldn't have been as bad had it been Santana and Ortiz cutting a promo on the outsiders, not Jericho. Santana is incredible on the mic, they just won a big match, and they are from Queens. If this had to be an Inner Circle angle, then Santana and Ortiz were the obvious choice. Santana could have absolutely heated up this angle simply by cutting a great promo, and the match next week would have been great. Instead we had Chris Jericho pretending he is a shoot badass

I thought this show was great but maybe it was just the ideal tonic after a shitty day at work. I actually thought the opener was really good since old man Kazarian is a far more interesting worker now than he’s ever been. It’s probably time for him to shuffle into something else but he should definitely be around having matches on Dark and the odd Dynamite showcase. FTR are still quietly the tag MVPs and I’m guessing they’re going against the Lucha Bros down the line so they’ll end up pinning Darby next week. 

The Top Team/Jericho segment was something that got progressively worse as it went on and I had the same thought re: Santana and Ortiz getting the match in New York next week but I’m guessing Cage and Scorpio are winning and Jericho is willing to eat the fall? Though his feuds usually start with him winning the first match. Either way, I’m assuming we’re getting a Hager/one of the MMA dudes stare down to hint at something in the future.

Next weeks shows look insane and I wonder if they start with Danielson/Omega, especially if they’re doing a draw. Sort of feels like Danielson needs to win his first match though.

35 minutes ago, Blehschmidt said:

Past his prime Arlovski or Past his prime Dos Santos fucking kills Hager in a real fight, so I really hope they aren't angling for that.

I mean, I don't expect them to do a full MMA match, but what's the point of having Dan Lambert, who has founded one of the best teams in mixed martial arts, if he is not going to use his fighters?

If the end goal is to have a spotlight on heel Page/Scorpio, couldn't they just do that without having Lambert as a mouthpiece? I mean, both guys can talk. If they are using Cigano and/or Arlovski, why even have Ego and Sky? It all just seems very messy.

10 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

I mean, I don't expect them to do a full MMA match, but what's the point of having Dan Lambert, who has founded one of the best teams in mixed martial arts, if he is not going to use his fighters?

If the end goal is to have a spotlight on heel Page/Scorpio, couldn't they just do that without having Lambert as a mouthpiece? I mean, both guys can talk. If they are using Cigano and/or Arlovski, why even have Ego and Sky? It all just seems very messy.

I don't disagree.

I just can't see UFC allowing Dos Santos or Arlovski to put over Hager in a fake fight, but I think either guy kills Hager in a real fight. 

So I'm not sure what the point is.

48 minutes ago, MoS said:

Omega losing too many non-title matches blunts him eventually losing the title (hopefully to Hangman, if Coach Tony K has any sense) and he has already had one loss, so I would do a TV time limit draw, and then book a 2 out of 3 falls match for the PPV.

I just dont see the drama in doing a draw when the title isn't on the line, but I always look at these things through an old school booking lens