Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Rampage - October 1, 2021

MoS

Nick Jackson is the second best worker in the Elite, but everybody in the world is second best to the N°1 worker in the Elite (or not, Takagi, Ishii, Okada & ZSJ are making everything possible to disprove that fact). Remember that match with Fénix a while ago ? Yeah, this is gonna be awesome. 

Speaking of the Lucha Brothers, anyone thinking that Andrade is bringing la familia to AEW after that (tremendously bad) interview on Dynamite ?

13 minutes ago, El-P said:

He's the GOAT stooge, so in a way yeah he's #1 ! Plus he looks like millennial Justin Credible, which I find kinda annoying in a good way.

LOL I can't unsee that now. Even his face guard deal looks like a clear plastic Aldo Montoya mask. 

I loved the contrast between Bryan's no-nonsense style and Nick's all-nonsense style. Great stuff.

Nice to see Orangey Boy showing some real fire on the mic!

It got a bit dusty in here during the very last scene of the show. Immediately went and hugged my girls after seeing that.

Show made me mark out, laugh out loud, and happy cry just a little bit. Can't ask for much more. Maybe a better finish to the three-way match... but nobody likes a nit-picker.

Danielson in AEW has been everything I hoped for, already. Pro wrestling heaven.

11 hours ago, MoS said:

I am so happy Danielson isn't working from underneath like he did his entire WWE run. If I never see him work underdog ever again, I will be so happy

Nah, he's gotta work from underneath when facing a bigger, dominant opponent, he's one of the greatest ever at "David vs Goliath" type of matches.

He worked kinda similarly during his last WWE Title run, just mauling people and doing shit like it's 2006-07 (he even did the "I've got till 5" shtick, which truly surprised considering it was the E). He's just able to go a little bit further in AEW and that's awesome because it's the side of him that made him get just a big following in the first place.

Crossposting what I saw this week:

Orange Cassidy vs Jack Evans: Nice pop for Cassidy considering how tired the crowd probably was. Taz telling Starks never to gamble on pro wrestling was funny. Good stuff early with Evans going for the roll up and Cassidy just being Cassidy, but then he snuck in an early backslide and pull the hair around. Hardy still has a good right hand. He was also funny counting quicker than the ref after the 450 on the floor. Evans was definitely living in the moment, interacting with "Mr. Hardy," reacting to the crowd, trying to get the win at all points given the stakes. Right up until the point he wasn't as match lost a little steam and urgency during the heat until the missed top rope move. In general I like the house style of two tries for every big move and it helps with them switching up just which move can't get hit for each wrestler in each match, but maybe it shouldn't be in EVERY match. The idea with HFO and BF/DO coming out was good but I'm not sure I liked how it was shot. Maybe they should have went around once more in the ring before the punch? Bunny's face as Hardy told them to leave was great since she never shows any expression like that. Post match was probably more important so good they gave it time.

On 10/2/2021 at 5:14 AM, gordi said:

Nice to see Orangey Boy showing some real fire on the mic!

He had me rolling.

Danielson being vicious again is so much fun. From the two matches he worked thus far (granted, against two of the best guys in the world who are able to do that kind of shit), it's so obvious that 1/he's been waiting for so long to do that again 2/he wants to work in NJPW so badly.

I did enjoy Jade Cargill not giving a flying fuck and just bashing Thunder Rosa with a chair for the win because why the hell not. If she ever get legit good in the ring (let's face it, she's a rookie), the sky is the limit for that woman. Thunder Rosa should win the title from Baker. She's the one. She's their best in-ring worker, she connects, she's got fire, she's got the cool look and outfits.

So, who is the joker for the ladder match ? It's the second anniversary, so there should be some cool stuff happening. 

56 minutes ago, El-P said:

So, who is the joker for the ladder match ? 

Page.

Or maybe Steen or Generico.

Or Jervis Cottonbelly. To revive this legendary feud:

Or Hero, because he and Kingston reviving their sick, violent feud in AEW is probably something that Tony Khan really wants to see. 

:lol: Who would have bet that one of these two guys would get over as fuck in the brand new big time US wrestling company two years later ? 

Page would not be bad, although I wonder if he's not due only after Omega defeats Danielson. Usually the joker is a surprise newcomer. Kingston did namedrop Chris Hero on Dark last week.

I sure hope Steen and/or Generico will show up in AEW eventually. The tide of coolness is not reversing anytime soon, the momentum is clearly going in one direction and not the other.

10 hours ago, El-P said:

:lol: Who would have bet that one of these two guys would get over as fuck in the brand new big time US wrestling company two years later ? 

...or that he'd pop the crowd by doing one of comedy spots with Sting? (On, I believe, the same show as a.Nick Gage match... with both Orange and Gage making sense as part of the same wrestling show).

On 10/3/2021 at 3:27 AM, MoS said:

That's a valid point. Also @Jimmy Redman if you wanted to see Bryan Danielson work a nasty style involving matwork and moves against a modern indy wrestler, this is a good 15 min match to check out.

I appreciate that, I just got around to Rampage and yeah I enjoyed Bryan vs Nick. It had more of the matwork stuff I enjoy from Danielson and (slightly) less head trauma. 

Basically I want Danielson to lean into his lucha cosplay aspirations rather than his NJPW cosplay aspirations. But that's just me and I realise NJ heavyweight matches are the style of the time.

Also Orange Cassidy is the best. I had never considered the idea of Orange doing a promo, but he is Orange. The best.