Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Rampage - October 29, 2021

MoS

That last match was a really good job at using the gimmick to get a lot out of an inexperienced worker.Ā  For those who don't know, Abadon's only had about 60 matches total in her career - a third of those coming after she joined AEW.Ā  Impressive how much they got the crowd into it considering she's never on TV.

1 hour ago, funkdoc said:

That last match was a really good job at using the gimmick to get a lot out of an inexperienced worker.Ā  For those who don't know, Abadon's only had about 60 matches total in her career - a third of those coming after she joined AEW.Ā  Impressive how much they got the crowd into it considering she's never on TV.

Not surprised. She works like an inexperienced, first year in,Ā indy wrestler. Somebody with her experience and skill level should not be on national TV. She should be working the opening match battle royal at an ECWA show.Ā 

Yeah, it was fucking great and pretty much everything you'd hope for. Danielson's AEW run has been just about everything you could possibly want at this point. He's working Omega for the Reddit crowd, Kingston and Dustin for the PWO crowd and Aaron Solo just to prove he can work WCW Worldwide style. I can't wait to see what he does with Dante Martin down the line

Am I crazy to think he's somehow managed to exceed everyone's lofty expectations? We all knew he was going to be great but he's already had more bangers in like 5 weeks than he had in the last 5 years of his WWE run.Ā  He's out here doing pretty much everything he's ever wanted to do plus doing things for shits and giggles like working that Dark taping no one would give a solitary fuckĀ Ā about otherwise.Ā 

8 hours ago, sek69 said:

We all knew he was going to be great but he's already had more bangers in like 5 weeks than he had in the last 5 years of his WWE run.Ā Ā 

Come on, now. Regardless of booking flaws, his work from 2018 until this year was superb.

Off the top of my head, tv matches with Roman, Styles, Andrade, Kingston, both Usos, Adam Cole andĀ tags with Rowan were all great.

On 10/31/2021 at 11:55 PM, Matt D said:

Heā€™s maybe a little too full throttle for me. Danielson as Stan Hansen. But Hansen is maybe the boardā€™s favorite wrestler so it tracksā€¦

Tracks with me too because despite my early hesitation I fucking love AEW Bryan and Bryan vs Kingston was fucking IMMENSE.

Clearly I just don't really like Kenny Omega.

Beautiful match but. Everyone knows who they are in AEW and acts accordingly. I love the level to which Bryan understands just when and how much to sell, even in the middle of the no selling strike exchanges. Look at that exchange right at the end - a lesser dork would have done it, taken it all and screamed, then jumped right into the triangle or started running the ropes to hit a move or some shit. Bryan and Eddie do all the huffing and puffing, no sell, yell, then Eddie hits THE uraken and Bryan CRUMPLES. Then he found a submission from his back. That middle finger finish too, my God.

I think this is the first time since like maybe 2014 when I've felt the urge to make a list of my MOTYCs.

Pissed off dad Mox stomping in, beating the living shit out of 10, leaving him lying in a pool of blood and stomping out was legit frightening. I'm a little concerned that he's going to actually kill Orange Cassidy live on television. Mox vs Bryan might be the most sadomasochistic match ever.

So pumped for the Eddie/Punk tease too, that was so well done.

Little Thing I Appreciate About AEW #47: They number the rematches they do as like, "Andrade vs. Pac 2", "Dante vs. Sydal 3".

It plays so well into the "pure sportz build" nature of the shows, with the rankings and everything, making them seem like a big UFC or boxing match up. It also, consciously or not, separates them from WWE and their endless rematches with the same pairings that don't mean anything. Imagine promoting "Kofi vs. Dolph 30!!" (I don't know what the current day equivalent is...)

And like, when I was obsessed I used to do that for myself! I have notes calling things like, "Kofi vs. Swagger IV" and I know which exact Smackdown TV match from 2010 that is, because the workers took it upon themselves to do something interesting with their pointless rematches. But like, the actual promotion getting behind the idea and promoting them as such, and making rematches special, it's so neat. All hail Tony Khan the TEW booker of our dreams.

I guess they also have a roster so gigantic that they can afford to keep everyone away from each other, and still put on important unique matches literally every week on TV while not compromising the PPV events either.

Like, it turns out if you literally just give a message board dork enough money they can book a better show.

Also Dante vs. Sydal 3 ruled.

Ā 

ALSO Britt Baker and Abadon fucking ruled too!

I was not expecting to get into that but that was cool. Perfect use of Abadon. Also full credit to Abadon, there were two other girls dressed as zombies in this match, which you might think would kind of soften her effect, but it was the opposite because it literally felt like watching the difference between someone dressing up for Halloween and an actual zombie. (You know what I mean.) She is fair dinkum committed to the bit.

But it was a fun piece of garbage match theatre. I know the point of the table is to break, but honestly it looked so much more painful that it DIDN'T break, those two big spots looked fucking gnarly. And the thumbtack spots worked, especially as a callback to Britt/Rosa. I'm a deathmatch novice so don't shoot but I don't think I've ever seen anyone shove a handful of tacks into someone's mouth, that was the coolest spot in the world. Enjoyed all of this. I also enjoy Britt Baker as a Hardcore Legend in a 2004 Randy Orton, adding credibility kind of way.