Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Rampage - October 29, 2021

MoS

On 10/31/2021 at 8:55 AM, Matt D said:

He’s maybe a little too full throttle for me. Danielson as Stan Hansen. But Hansen is maybe the board’s favorite wrestler so it tracks…

Matt when you asked how the match was live before The rest of the world got to see it, I told you it was Top 5 Best Live Match for me which was true. In the back of my mind, I knew it was a 90s All Japan match which I know is not your favorite style, but I didn’t want to tell you. I forgot to follow up so What did you think of the match?

Personally I have preferred Punk’s run over Danielson’s. Punk is having excellent Pro Wrestling matches that crescendo to satisfying climaxes. Danielson is doing his workrate thing which is fine sometimes it clicks for me, sometimes it doesn’t. Danielson vs Kingston was way better than anything I’ve seen from Punk. But I’ve enjoyed Punk as a whole more.

7 hours ago, Superstar Sleeze said:

Matt when you asked how the match was live before The rest of the world got to see it, I told you it was Top 5 Best Live Match for me which was true. In the back of my mind, I knew it was a 90s All Japan match which I know is not your favorite style, but I didn’t want to tell you. I forgot to follow up so What did you think of the match?

Personally I have preferred Punk’s run over Danielson’s. Punk is having excellent Pro Wrestling matches that crescendo to satisfying climaxes. Danielson is doing his workrate thing which is fine sometimes it clicks for me, sometimes it doesn’t. Danielson vs Kingston was way better than anything I’ve seen from Punk. But I’ve enjoyed Punk as a whole more.

Hey! we covered that over here: http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2021/11/aews-five-fingers-of-death-week-of-1025.html

Here's what I wrote:

Spoiler

MD: What a match. I'd gone back and watched the 2010 match between these two, which was Danielson's first match back on the indies after the Nexus tie incident in WWE and it was striking how forward-driving and aggressive Danielson had been working then, very similar to how he is now. In that match, Kingston just ate all of Danielson's stuff, got beaten around the ring, and threw suplexes as hope spots as the fans got what they wanted on that night.

This is a leaner and somehow meaner Eddie though, and he proved to be the wall that could halt the previously unstoppable freight train that's been AEW Danielson. He stormed to the ring, hovered in the corner waiting for the bell, and came out unleashed. From the first unclean break, it was on, and Kingston felt like the protagonist of this story, first surviving Danielson's kicks to his leg, then surviving the armwork. Every moment here felt uncooperative and earned. I got the sense at one point that Danielson was drawing Kingston in to launch the machine-gun chops in the corner too early so that he could switch it and start on the kicks. The match was full of moments that made you wonder like that.

It really opened up once Eddie hit the belly to back on the floor and then the awesome slingshot belly to back using the turnbuckle. From there, it was unmitigated violence, with Danielson trying to open things back up with a well-timed block or shot, but Kingston just able to chop him down. Danielson had the welts on his chest to prove it and it was all capped with that amazing moment of defiance as he was crumpled in pain. If Suzuki was the first guy to really make Danielson lose his zen coolness, Kingston totally shattered it by forcing that middle finger from the corner. Eddie wasn't going to put him away with those though, which eventually led him to the top rope and the really epic battle that ensued, with Kingston punching up every time he got shrugged off and Danielson doing an amazing sell job, slumping all over the place.

I loved how it was a belly to back (avalanche) which turned the tide again. After that, as they went into the stretch, the amazing moments just flowed in one after the other. The kick to the head. The DDT. The attempt at the armbar. The backfist. Eddie collapsing and Danielson showing him absolutely no mercy by swarming him, and the crowd reacting huge to each and every one of these, despite having already sat through two hours of Dynamite. All of it led to the triangle (yet another finishing move) and that last paralleled moment of defiance by Kingston. Each of these moments was timed exactly as it should be. Just a beautifully balanced, perfectly paced, meaningful, uncooperative, character driven, resonant pro wrestling match.

Oh! I saw Eric posted on Twitter that this is the new 2021 Segunda Caida Match of the Year but didnt click the link. I should have and would have seen your thoughts. It felt more like 1993 All Japan than 1998 All Japan or 2000s NOAH for instance. It was definitely not overwrought. It just had all the things that made King's Road style really good without the need to really feel like they need to top themselves over and over again. 

Glad you liked it! 

I need to say that I hate hate HATE that thing Danielson does where he bends his opponent's arm back so their hand is on the mat and their elbow is sticking up and then stomps on it. It's like, dude. Just roll out of the way. Is your hand glued to the mat? Any wrestling that forces someone to sit there and take an opponent's offense like an idiot is bad wrestling.

Plenty of people have been doing that spot for decades. I think the first guy I saw do that one, or the equivalent, was Owen Hart (who actually was doing a kneedrop, which looked wicked).  Yeah, I agree this kind of spot looks stupid (yeah, get your arm away already), but then again most pro-wrestling does. I mean, once an irish whip is ok...

Speaking of which,  it always strikes me as an amazing case of cognitive dissonance (that's the technical term for "people being full of shit" too sometimes) when Christian Cage is praised for being this awesome pro-wrestler with the greatest knack for small details and shit (which he is, to a point), yet his finisher is one of the most obviously and awkwardly cooperative shit you can think of, especially the way he sets it off with this really completely physically illogical way that kinda looks like an old NWA title match strenght test reversal where the guy who is actually losing is controlling the body of the guy who's winning to the point he's basically dropping his head down... Just, complete nonsense. I mean, Tommy Rogers used to do it but would basically hook the arms and work a super quick reverse and drop down, which looked way better (quite more dangerous probably, although I don't think he ever injured anyone), but the way Christian (or Chelsea Green) does it always look awkward as all hell and physically, well, completely impossible if the other guy just doesn't go for it all the way.

48 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

I need to say that I hate hate HATE that thing Danielson does where he bends his opponent's arm back so their hand is on the mat and their elbow is sticking up and then stomps on it. It's like, dude. Just roll out of the way. Is your hand glued to the mat? Any wrestling that forces someone to sit there and take an opponent's offense like an idiot is bad wrestling.

I think in the Omega match (could've been another opponent though) he did a version were he kept his foot on the hand before stomping on it, it look way cooler. In the Kingston match it was even better because Eddie did get his arm out but not in time to avoid getting stomped anyway.