Jump to content
Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
MoS

AEW Dynamite - November 24, 2021

Recommended Posts

I'm picturing KawadaSmile looking like his profile photo during that promo. The only downside I can think of from it is we're probably gonna have WWE folks crying about them mentioning WWE in promos. I can just hear Booker T now being all "man you don't bring up the competition on your show" since it's so ingrained in their brains to never acknowledge anyone else in the world unless you have to. 

 

Also I guess looking back, Bryan's "I want to create something different from before" was just his way of trying to keep people from doing the YES chants since this is the second time he's dropped "fickle" in a promo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MoS said:

Also heard people say that the only ones who would love this are the ones who just giggle at WWE wrestlers being name-dropped on TV, but like, those wrestlers were name-dropped in in the context of insults and their names made sense in that context. If Punk had called MJF a less-known Randy Orton, it wouldn't have made sense cuz some people actually do call MJF a Miz-lite for his insults, which was the point. 

And MJF dropping Cena references sting more since he was Punk’s biggest rival.  Anyone else (Reigns, Brock, Rollins, Orton, AJ, etc) would have seemed like a a reference for the sake of referring to a top WWE star.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And listen, being compared to Miz is far from a bad thing. Dude is awesome, is responsible for one of the best promos of the past decade and made people give a fuck about ALEX RILEY AND DAMIEN SANDOW. He does get a lot of shit, but he's far from being a low level worker.

It's just that his image is like the antithesis of AEW's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SteveJRogers said:

And MJF dropping Cena references sting more since he was Punk’s biggest rival.  Anyone else (Reigns, Brock, Rollins, Orton, AJ, etc) would have seemed like a a reference for the sake of referring to a top WWE star.

Dropping Hunter references was particularly stinging since that was famously one of the last straws for him in WWE when Hunter tried to position a  Mania match with him as the same as being in the main event and Punk told him to GFY. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They should do a bit where Bryan is getting paid by Britt to knock people's teeth out.

Also they put the whole MJF/Punk deal up on Youtube, and since I was watching while working I somehow missed the "the only way you'll be #1 is if we wait around long enough for Tony to have a daughter you can marry"  line. That was brilliant since not only was it red meat to pop the AEW fans, it was a reference to the Pipe Bomb promo so it brought everything full circle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sek69 said:

The only downside I can think of from it is we're probably gonna have WWE folks crying about them mentioning WWE in promos. I can just hear Booker T now being all "man you don't bring up the competition on your show" since it's so ingrained in their brains to never acknowledge anyone else in the world unless you have to.

It needs to be remembered that in Booker's very first promo in TNA, the first thing he did was mention WWE and shill his book explaining why he left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched the whole thing and MJF was outclassed in every single way, man. I think even Miz himself would've done better.

CM himself said it, he just goes for the lowest hanging fruit, and he kept on doing that after the MizJF zinger. 

 

But hey, notorious asshole CM Punk is best when he has the time to be an asshole! What a shocker!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KawadaSmile said:

CM himself said it, he just goes for the lowest hanging fruit, and he kept on doing that after the MizJF zinger. 

How exactly. What MJF line after that explicit Punk callout was a cheap dig.

I agree that Punk outpromo'd MJF, but Punk in head to head promo battles will outdo most wrestlers. He outdid Rock when they went head to head. Saying Punk did far better than MJF is far different from saying MJF continued doing his cheap heel shtick after Punk called him out for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MoS said:

How exactly. What MJF line after that was a cheap dig.

Right after CM Punk's retort, MJF kept on saying stuff like "the only one who needs to Go To Sleep is you, Punk! You're old", plus some cheap [insert offending host city] stuff, which is meh. He did have that Cena line which was good, but other than that he really looked nervous, almost rambling. 

And I'm not complaining, really! This is actually something that elevated the whole thing. Someone well over his head getting schooled by his actual idol? Good stuff!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Right after CM Punk's retort, MJF kept on saying stuff like "the only one who needs to Go To Sleep is you, Punk! You're old", plus some cheap [insert offending host city] stuff, which is meh. He did have that Cena line which was good, but other than that he really looked nervous, almost rambling. 

And I'm not complaining, really! This is actually something that elevated the whole thing. Someone well over his head getting schooled by his actual idol? Good stuff!

He was absolutely nervous and rambling for a bit, but Punk being old and nervous about hanging with the young guys was the essence of his promo, something Punk himself acknowledged. He was saying Punk is old and knows it, and since coming to AEW he has just been trying hide that. It was as essential and unnerving as the point about Punk being second-best to Cena and insecure about it, which is really fundamental to CM Punk the wrestling character. 

He was rambling and turned a 13-minute segment into a 22-min segment, but I thought he got better and better as the segment went on, and by the end he was doing really good. He wasn't close to Punk and Kingston's level, but who is. I do wish he would get rid of that Punky Brewster bullshit and all the corny cringe nicknames. That's not his inner Roddy Piper coming out, it's his inner Chris Jericho coming out, and it sounds like shit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Right after CM Punk's retort, MJF kept on saying stuff like "the only one who needs to Go To Sleep is you, Punk! You're old", plus some cheap [insert offending host city] stuff, which is meh. He did have that Cena line which was good, but other than that he really looked nervous, almost rambling. 

And I'm not complaining, really! This is actually something that elevated the whole thing. Someone well over his head getting schooled by his actual idol? Good stuff!

Another thing about the Cena quips is that it kinda mirrors Punk’s calling out Cena for becoming the New York Yankees of the WWE.

7 minutes ago, MoS said:

I do wish he would get rid of that Punky Brewster bullshit and all the corny cringe nicknames. That's not his inner Roddy Piper coming out, it's his inner Chris Jericho coming out, and it sounds like shit

That’s also a staple of Rock’s promos as well.  Though both he and Jericho were better at “making it stick” when they were baby faces targeting heels with the “nicknames.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2021 at 7:47 PM, MoS said:

No hopes for Danielson-Colt?

Colt is one of the few talents that is an absolute anti-draw for me. I enjoy none of his work and don't see why a d-grade comedy wrestler going up against one of the legit GOATs deserves any hype beyond "another Danielson carry job."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The promo was too long.  It was good but this was not Flair returning in September 1998.  Not sure it was even Bret Hart/Goldberg from March 1999.

Could have easily shaved 7 minutes and made it tighter, which also would have helped lessen MJF's rambling/not have to use filler that ultimately didn't get over (and yes, you don't know what ultimately gets over until you are out there but he's been doing this long enough that it should have helped.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tim Cooke said:

The promo was too long.  It was good but this was not Flair returning in September 1998.  Not sure it was even Bret Hart/Goldberg from March 1999.

Could have easily shaved 7 minutes and made it tighter, which also would have helped lessen MJF's rambling/not have to use filler that ultimately didn't get over (and yes, you don't know what ultimately gets over until you are out there but he's been doing this long enough that it should have helped.)

To be fair, I am sure it was scheduled for like 13-15 mins maximum. It seems like MJF got nervous and rambled and went much longer. You saw there were some other matches that ended up very abruptly and shortly, like the Bear Country match, which to me felt like they were adjusting on the fly to make up for MJF going too long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2021 at 9:33 AM, Laz said:

Colt is one of the few talents that is an absolute anti-draw for me. I enjoy none of his work and don't see why a d-grade comedy wrestler going up against one of the legit GOATs deserves any hype beyond "another Danielson carry job."

Because he's a great chain wrestler who trained in the UK and is a perfect opponent for Bryan and someone he has history with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See the "absolute anti-draw for me" part. Nothing he's done, outside of a few of the Homicide matches forever and a day ago, have had me interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×