Pro Wrestling Only

Grimmas

• 1 year later...

It's probably Buddy Rose.

You might also give outsider consideration to Jackie Sato or Jaguar Yokota if you like their style. The World of Sport situation is a bit frustrating for individual workers, while we have lots of excellent wrestling most guys only show up on TV a handful of times per year, and we don't even have all the TV.

7 hours ago, SAMS said:

Honorable mention to both Sammartino and Zbyszko just for their feud together

Larry Z had a really strong 1980 outside of the Bruno stuff too, including that 'never in a million years would you think this would be great on paper' match with Ivan Putski. 

But I agree, its probably Buddy. Fujinami is great in 80 too though. 

6 hours ago, Reel said:

Larry Z had a really strong 1980 outside of the Bruno stuff too, including that 'never in a million years would you think this would be great on paper' match with Ivan Putski.

Is this at the Spectrum in August?

In terms of the AJW crew, the one who's impressed me the most has actually been Mami Kumano, as I thought her work in tags as part of the Black Pair was good but she also brought it in a singles setting as well.

For WoS guys, totally agree. I don't think that either Saint or Grey turn up on tape more than 4 times each, but at least their two matches together (granted the second one being mostly clipped) are strong MOTYC.

Ultimately the answer is probably a Buddy Rose, but I will say that I think Terry Funk was superb, at least through the first 1/3 of the year. While Rose was carrying guys like Frank Dusek to good matches, Funk was doing the same in All Japan with a guy like Ray Candy. Plus he turns up in Georgia to feud with Dusty, and while I'm not sure anything other than clips of their Omni matches together exist, the TV stuff Funk is in is a blast.

16 hours ago, Reel said:

including that 'never in a million years would you think this would be great on paper' match with Ivan Putski. 

Putski is a surprise through 77 and 80 so far for me. He's limited, but he's quite the little powerhouse and is super over with the big crowds. I think the camp of the VHS text "POLISH POWER" pulsing on the screen during his entrances does it for me a little bit too.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I finally made it through to late August and watched this match. I'll just echo the sentiments of everybody else above to say that this was a great match. Their match together in July was so good that initially confused myself and thought that that one was this one. The fact that Larry was able to deliver two of these with Putski certainly is a feather in his cap for 1980 and gives credit to the argument that it wasn't just all about the Bruno feud.

• 1 month later...

This is kind of turning into a Larry Zbyszko celebration thread, but his Spectrum match against Backlund in October is just another fantastic match to add to his collection. Such a excellent performance, and at this point I think, if we went just by quantity of quality matches on tape, his only competition is Fujinami.

Rose is carrying a promotion, but purely in terms of top tier matches, I don't think he can match these two, and Terry Funk suffers from not making tape enough.

• 2 months later...

After completing my watch project for 1980 I'd pretty comfortably say that Terry Funk would be my vote for wrestler of the year.

However I would break down the rest into the tiers below. I think the first two are pretty self explanatory but the third tier is a mixture of people who were great when I saw them but they had limited footage, or those who were occasionally great, but also had issues with inconsistency. All tiers are alphabetically ordered.

Best In The World
Larry Zbyszko
Tatsumi Fujinami
Terry Funk

Great Workers
Andre the Giant
Bruno Sammartino
Buddy Rose
Jim Breaks
Ken Patera
Mark Rocco

Flashes of Greatness