Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - December 29, 2021

MoS

2 minutes ago, Loss said:

I wish Jade Cargill didn't have to learn on national television, because I think her upside is huge when she becomes more seasoned.

I would like to second this. She has SO much potential.

I also wish that FTR wasn't constantly booked to just eat shit tons of offense and then pull out a cheap win. They are so good and have ao much to offer, but I can't wrap my head around how they are booked most of the time.

9 minutes ago, Blehschmidt said:

I also wish that FTR wasn't constantly booked to just eat shit tons of offense and then pull out a cheap win. They are so good and have ao much to offer, but I can't wrap my head around how they are booked most of the time.

I couldn’t agree more. I understand they cannot be in the title picture all the time, but I really don’t like the way they are booked for the most part.

15 minutes ago, MoS said:

Some really good stuff on the show but also some bad stuff. Which I guess is the story of AEW in 2021, so it was fitting. 

It was a fun but underwhelming show. But for year end wrestling tv it was ok. Didn’t expect much to happen. I’m sure next week will be stacked for the first TBS show. 

The only Dynamite since July 2020 I haven’t had fun enjoying was the Dinner Debonair offering. There are definitely weeks better off than most and a few that were clearly the worst.  
The only wrestlers I really don’t enjoy much are Jericho for the men and Nyla with the women.  Nyla also has Vicki.  Vicki drags everything down to the lowest of the lows.  Nyla has some good matches but even that is cancelled out by Vicki’s…everything. 

Jericho is nearly always the worst thing in AEW.  He almost always has the most screentime.  He is also usually the most out of shape bloated carcass that thinks he can do his Siuper J Cup 95 spots without almost breaking a neck or two. 

Nyla is just disappointing to me.  I want her to be a good bully and push all the little girls around on the playground.  At this point Kris Statlander and Jamie Hayter are more physically intimidating than Nyla usually.looks in the ring.  Oh, Jade has got a completely different type of physical intimidation but she has IT before the bell rings.

I never think that Stampede is skippable.  The YouTube shows aren’t quite as good as when there was only one Dark.  It’s still packed with AEW Easter eggs and the best commentary AEW can schedule together.

Fun little end of year show but AEW always feels at its weakest to me when they’re a ways away from a big PPV. Like, Punk and MJF have orbited for a while but we’re still waiting on the big angle to kickstart the match at Revolution (I presume).

Also, the ReDragon music sounds like a South Park parody of a rock song.

This has been a great year for AEW. My favorite pro-wrestling TV year ever.

And a super cool show to cap-off the year, with an great war of dirty punchlines between Lambert & Brandi, Jade Cargill learning how to sell the leg and doing a damn good job at it, the Undisputed Era debuting on the main roster and looking like stars like they should have sometime ago on Smackdown, Mercedes Martinez showing up, JR getting back to the booth (and yes, I was happy to see him this time), crowd chanting Judas and a bunch of terrific multi-men matches.

Yeah, 2021 was quite a year. Glad to having been able to live it.

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

I'm not one to push for more titles, but goddamn if any promotion ever was begging for six man titles, it's this one. They could have the most balls out trios division in history with this roster + guys visiting from AAA. 

With all the factions/groups they have and all the multi man matches they do, that’s a great idea. If anything, have it be defended predominantly on dark or elevation. 

Surprised Punk didn’t name drop Urban Meyer, since his dumpster fire of an exit from Jacksonville just happened, but GEEZ!  I forgot the Jags brought Tim Tebow in for their training camp this year, and then cut him early in the Preseason (mid-August).  

Yeah, THAT happened.  Though to be fair, Meyer deserves comparison to MJF’s wrestling persona far more than Tebow does.

I would wager the legal team (and maybe Big Dad Shad) nixed mentioning Urban, since he was fired for cause and there will almost certainty be a legal case about him trying to claw some of that money back (if he wasn't fired for cause Urb could collect the rest of the years on his deal). 

Yet another solid show overall, but that Brandi/Lambert segment was rough.  I like the idea of tweener Cody & Brandi in theory, but so far pitting them against the Top Team crew is only serving to elicit tweener reactions to Lambert.

After sitting through multiple commercials for the awkwardly-titled "Go-Big Show," I began to wonder, is it possible TNT/TBS executives are pressuring TK to keep pushing Cody as a face?  I'm no longer a WON subscriber, so I'm wondering whether Dave has reported anything along those lines.  It's more than a little awkward that the networks are trying to promote a new series featuring Cody during a wrestling show whose fans are actively rejecting him, and I can't imagine TV executives are thrilled with that kind of ambiguity.  I understand (and share) the impulse to blame Cody for his own awkward booking, but there has to be more to this story than Cody's stubbornness, right?  In any case, unless they're building to a Scorpio Sky face turn and title win, I'm struggling to understand the direction here.

I should add that I agree with everyone who said that AEW's 2021 has been the best year of wrestling TV in decades.  Their shows have been a joy to watch - after suffering through years of WWE Stockholm Syndrome, it's been a delight to see wrestling booked logically and in service to its fans.  Really, it's the fact that TK's booking otherwise has been so logical - and so attuned to the audience - that makes Cody's segments so jarring by comparison.

TNT/TBS obviously loves Cody, not only is he on that Go Big Show, they also did that reality show as well. Dave hasn't said anything about there being any pressure on TK to keep Cody a face, but you'd think that keeping his TV partner happy has to be in his mind on some level.