Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 02/07 - 02/13 Senegal won the Africa Cup of Nations!

KawadaSmile

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's good for the newbies to have someone to learn from, but my god is Pete Dunne being wasted in NXT.

Also yes, the Creeds absolutely should win the tournament.  It's funny how Diamond Mine is the best thing going on NXT 2.0 and very little has to do with Roddy. The Creeds are great, Ivy going out there and just ragdolling folks is awesome, and of course Malcom the Tall King rules. 

Hey. To follow up on Miz last night, my nephew told us today his favorite part of being at RAW last night was Miz TV and the Dom vs. Miz match. 
He's been watching literally all his life and Rey was his first favorite . We have a video of him as a one and half year old splashing his Dad off the couch while a PPV with Rey was on the TV in the background.

But it was just being part of that LOUD crowd booing Miz and cheering the Mysterios that did it. That's what grabbed him, his pals, and the crowd. One of the best Good Guys ever and his Son vs. one of the best Bad Guys ever and his Wife. And the kid won!

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

But it was just being part of that LOUD crowd booing Miz and cheering the Mysterios that did it. That's what grabbed him, his pals, and the crowd. One of the best Good Guys ever and his Son vs. one of the best Bad Guys ever and his Wife. And the kid won!

That's awesome to hear.  As much as we banter about it,  it's really not that difficult to book wrestling. Get good guys the crowd can get into, some villians to get in their way, and at the end of the day the hero triumphs. Sure, sometimes shit happens, people get hurt or leave or lose their smiles, but the theory behind it is as old as time and always works.

Dude, after that match when we took the kids to buy souvenirs,( With their own money. They mowed some lawns and sold lemonade this past Summer). One of the boys bought one of those plastic Rey masks with the rubber band along with an RK-Bro shirt. His brother got the same shirt. RK- Bro is super over, especially Orton. 
My nephew bought the one night only Stone Cold " DENVER 3:16" Smoking Skull shirt. 
They showed the beer bath clip during the ads and the boys flipped for it. 

Edit: I'm always talking about the kids. Here they are, right as we were leaving for the show last night.

RAW0268.jpg

The boys are awesome, bubba! Loved reading their reactions. I'm glad you had a good time.

Miz vs Rey Mysterio is just one of those feuds that make sense. Super good guy vs super unlikeable guy. Two of the best in their respective alignments. The story itself is simple, but it really shouldn't be complicated with those two. 

I'm torn. Escobar is easily one of the company's best wrestlers and Legado Del Fantasma is awesome. I want to see him be the top champ, yet it is too early for Bron to lose the belt. I guess adding a rubber match with Ciampa and a mini feud with Ziggler could be good if they can still keep Santos hot, but at the same time both Bron and Escobar are 100% ready for the main roster. 

They managed to get two dudes I wanna see as top champ which is incredible. And that's not even mentioning Melo, who's the A Champ. 

Ronda Rousey, the comeback no one actually wanted to see. :lol: (and I say this as having loved her first stint)

Seriously, she couldn't seem to give less of a fuck. (I know people are gonna and are already putting the blame 100% on Charlotte, but let's be honest, what the fuck was Rousey doing here ?)

Ronda's return isn't quite as out of touch as bringing Goldberg out for the umpteenth time, but it certainly lacks the same oomph that her initial debut had. The landscape has changed significantly and Ronda Rousey is no longer the name she was 2018. A cursory glance at Wikipedia or IMDB is all you need to know about her star power in 2022 compared to 2018. Is she still a big star in the world of wrestling and combat sports? Sure, she always will be...

But it should be noted that Keith Lee's debut in AEW has more views on YouTube than Rousey's most recent appearances on SmackDown and its not even remotely close (about 150k for the Rousey/Charlotte video posted by WWE to over 1.8 MILLION for AEW's Keith Lee video). Even if we just compare Rousey's return at the Rumble this year, with its respectable 2.3 million views, we're still talking a considerable drop compared to the views of her 2018 debut (6.9m views for the WWE-produced video and another 4 million views for the ESPN-posted video). 

We can debate whether these statistic means anything at all in terms of actual dollars and cents, but the one thing that can't be argued is that Rousey is the same level of superstar she was 4 years ago. The die-hard wrestling fans who went gaga over Punk's return, Danielson's arrival in AEW, and now Keith Lee's debut collectively shrugged and moved on from Rousey's return within a week, while the news of her return barely made a blip on the radar of mainstream sports fans and media. She still brings value, obviously, but that value can no longer come from just her name. 

If she can deliver great/remarkable matches, I think she can "heat up" again - much like Lesnar did after ending the Streak and ragdolling Cena around, two matches that weren't technically "great" but were undoubtedly controversial/remarkable - but its not going to happen via awkward promos and beating fans over the head with accolades from 6 years ago. 

3 hours ago, DMJ said:

Ronda's return isn't quite as out of touch as bringing Goldberg out for the umpteenth time, but it certainly lacks the same oomph that her initial debut had. The landscape has changed significantly and Ronda Rousey is no longer the name she was 2018. A cursory glance at Wikipedia or IMDB is all you need to know about her star power in 2022 compared to 2018. Is she still a big star in the world of wrestling and combat sports? Sure, she always will be...

But it should be noted that Keith Lee's debut in AEW has more views on YouTube than Rousey's most recent appearances on SmackDown and its not even remotely close (about 150k for the Rousey/Charlotte video posted by WWE to over 1.8 MILLION for AEW's Keith Lee video). Even if we just compare Rousey's return at the Rumble this year, with its respectable 2.3 million views, we're still talking a considerable drop compared to the views of her 2018 debut (6.9m views for the WWE-produced video and another 4 million views for the ESPN-posted video). 

I dunno, bubba. If we are going by YouTube views, bringing in Goldberg once again was a right choice, even better than Ronda. Their confrontation last week did like 3 million views, and they previous intended bout, a couple of years ago, also did huge numbers. While you could point out that his stints are the most didactic example of diminishing returns, he is a guaranteed draw... on YouTube.

Of course, I think Ronda showing contempt for the fans and being less than pleasant more than once sure hurt her to many viewers. There are some PT-BR podcasts which just hate her guts in and outside the ring. 

Yeah a lot of it seems to be wrestling fans figuring out what MMA fans have known for a while: Ronda's not exactly the most likable person in the world. WWE would have been better suited to push her as a monster heel who tears off people's arms while mean mugging the backstage announcers... y'know, like how she was in UFC. Having her be a babyface seems to be beyond her skill set since her personality seems to be more like a shoot version of MJF. 

I might be overthinking this but with Ronda, it still feels to me like there was so much insecurity for her in that first stint. Everything was going great for her until Survivor Series when Charlotte went all out on her and the crowd cheered Charlotte, which triggered some trauma in Ronda's head. I think she really believed that fans would be fully behind her the whole way in that first WWE run, compared to UFC where MMA fans really despised her.

1 minute ago, SirEdger said:

That's true but I always felt like Ronda was eager to have fans love her, compared to her UFC stint. It struck to me as the premiere reason why she jumped into that WWE career.

It probably was, but then she was the same moody and surly person she was in UFC and was shocked and hurt that wrestling fans reacted the same way MMA fans did.