Pro Wrestling Only

The All Things Cody Thread

sek69

I know it makes me sound like The Old Man of The Internet, but it has been amusing to see the current generation of fans losing their minds over the idea of a top star from one promotion leaving and possibly going to the other main promotion. This is how wrestling worked from like the 1800s to 2000, the last 20 years were the anomaly. 

Granted, the Cody situation is a little different due to the EVP stuff, but it seems more and more than the only thing he was EVP'ing anymore was the Codyverse. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, sek69 said:

I know it makes me sound like The Old Man of The Internet, but it has been amusing to see the current generation of fans losing their minds over the idea of a top star from one promotion leaving and possibly going to the other main promotion. This is how wrestling worked from like the 1800s to 2000, the last 20 years were the anomaly. 

20 years of monopoly on the grand stage will do that. Plus, everything tends to be overstated anyway because of social medias. But people who have lived through Yokozuna joining the nWo know better...

Funny how things works, it goes so fast, to me it seems like Cody is already old news. AEW has moved on without even blinking on TV, they have a really hot PPV lined-up on paper, TK has that big announcement this week, Jeff Hardy is gonna show up, TAFKA Cesaro might show up, Shane Strickland will show up, it's not like Cody leaving reversed the flow in any way shape or form. 

1 hour ago, El-P said:

20 years of monopoly on the grand stage will do that. Plus, everything tends to be overstated anyway because of social medias. But people who have lived through Yokozuna joining the nWo know better...

Funny how things works, it goes so fast, to me it seems like Cody is already old news. AEW has moved on without even blinking on TV, they have a really hot PPV lined-up on paper, TK has that big announcement this week, Jeff Hardy is gonna show up, TAFKA Cesaro might show up, Shane Strickland will show up, it's not like Cody leaving reversed the flow in any way shape or form. 

C'mon, man!  Respect the journalism of Al Isaacs.  It was Yokozuna going to The Hart Foundation.  For years, it seems like, even though the Foundation wasn't even around all that long.

14 minutes ago, Log said:

C'mon, man!  Respect the journalism of Al Isaacs.  It was Yokozuna going to The Hart Foundation.  For years, it seems like, even though the Foundation wasn't even around all that long.

Damn ! Of course ! I'm getting old and confused ! 

That whole "Cody having a Reality TV show is a good thing for AEW" argument, that held no water to begin with anyway, has truly aged like milk. He can have it as part as the trillions hours of "content" WWE will produce with A&E. (content over quality has never been so true when the selling point is the number of hours that are gonna be produced)

It did make their TV partner happy, so it wasn't a total waste. Total Divas/Bellas did apparently drive female viewers to WWE so I can see how it would be worth seeing if worked for AEW. It didn't, and accepting what works and moving on from what doesn't has been a major advantage they have over WWE. 

On 3/1/2022 at 1:18 PM, SteveJRogers said:

Or AEW fanboy trolls still expecting this to be a massive work towards an invasion angle (perhaps ROH)

I know I’m quoting myself, but this seems more like the actual reality than a return to the WWE.

Plus this would mean he’d bring the Codyverse to ROH and continue his vision of reimagining Watts era WCW, while AEW can continue its way of being more the spiritual successor to ECW and the vintage ROH without this jarring thing one of the EVPs was doing off on his own.

22 hours ago, SirEdger said:

Meltzer seems to contradict that Bodyslam.net report about Cody, saying that the return to WWE is almost a done deal.

Now Dave has dropped the "plans changed" bomb. Apparently creative was told last night of a "definite change in Cody/WWE status." That's suitably vague as Dave does so well, but apparently on The Board he clarified that as of now, there's uncertainty that he's coming in.

If Cody doesn't go to WWE, then what? He's not going to get a payday that size from anywhere else, and going back to an indy barnstorming tour seems like a pretty big step backwards for him. 

Also we all joke about WWE bungling things, but holy shit if they somehow blew their chance to change the impression that the flow of talent between them and AEW only goes one way. 

58 minutes ago, sek69 said:

If Cody doesn't go to WWE, then what?

Hollywood ? Politics ? 

Challenging Nick Aldis again ?

59 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Also we all joke about WWE bungling things, but holy shit if they somehow blew their chance to change the impression that the flow of talent between them and AEW only goes one way. 

Would be hilarious. I mean, Cody isn't going over there cheap and to do usual bullshit if he left the company he helped founded.

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

If Cody doesn't go to WWE, then what? He's not going to get a payday that size from anywhere else, and going back to an indy barnstorming tour seems like a pretty big step backwards for him. 

My guess would be that Tony Khan would try to bring him back into the AEW fold, perhaps having him take care of ROH.

But then again, that'd also mean that some AEW diehards would be insufferable with their "IT WAS A WORK ALL ALONG!" narrative and we'll never hear the end of it.

Considering how bad the Codyverse has been, there's no good reason why TK would go "Hey Cody, come back, I give you that non-drawing company that I just bought so you can play more fantasy stuff with my money." I mean... Don't think they should run ROH anyway, really, this is a losing proposition.

If Sinclair is keeping ROH on TV, they 100% should have some kind of show like Dark but on TV. It's another hour of TV time a week to give people more work/get polish/maybe book their own angles like WCW Saturday Night. 

Agree that they should not be doing ROH branded house shows. 

Another TV show of they still got the spot, sure, but don't call it ROH, as the brand as been a non factor for a while now. Meltz mentioned that at this point, it's even below NJPW and IMPACT in the US in term of awareness. Now, I don't even watch any Dark anymore, I doubt I would watch a third AEW show a week, no matter how much I enjoy the promotion.

So it looks like the snag was Vince tearing up the huge money offer he made after AEW announced they were parting ways and replacing it with a much lower one. Apparently Vince feels Cody lost his leverage when AEW made the announcement and seeming is going to fumble their first opportunity to get a "we got one" moment.

The apparent conclusion is that Vince doesn't care about changing the perception that AEW is the place talent wants to be. Look at it from his perspective. The money from the TV networks and the Saudis is still pouring in, and he's surrounded by yes men who tell him everything's great and get fired if they question him. Most people in that position wouldn't care about optics either. And if you take that away, Cody had zero leverage once his AEW deal expired.