Pro Wrestling Only

Happy Thanksgiving, PWO!

Coffey

The Thanksgiving holiday is actually the reason that I'm a professional wrestling fan. 

When I was a kid, my parents would of course have the whole family over for Thanksgiving, to celebrate the holiday & have the big feast. The location of which family was hosting the holiday would change annually but one thing was consistent: there were a lot of kids & the adults wanted the kids out of their hair. So, how was this accomplished? WWF Survivor Series: The Thanksgiving night tradition! 

I immediately became a big Hulk Hogan & Ultimate Warrior fan & started following WWF television on weekends & when I could stay up, WWF Saturday Night's Main Event. Back during the late 1980's, Survivor Series was actually on Thanksgiving day. Purchasing Pay-Per-View events back then, you had to go to the cable company & "rent" the box that you would hook up to your television that would allow you to get the PPV. So I would sit with my brother & my cousin Joe while we would all watch the wrestling show while the rest of the family would chat, drink & whatever else. 

Now, as an adult, I'm very nostalgic for those old Survivor Series shows & I think I'm going to put on a couple of them today. I would much rather watch some 1980's WWF than the Detroit Lions. 

So I just wanted to wish all the members of Pro Wrestling Only a Happy Thanksgiving & ask you to share any pro-wrestling related Thanksgiving memories you may have! Hope everyone has a good holiday, I know a lot of people get today off. :) 

EDIT: I just want to throw this out there: the curtain jerk match in the 1987 Survivor Series babyface squad is "The Macho Man" Randy Savage with Miss Elizabeth, Jake "The Snake" Roberts, "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan, Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat & Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake. Imagine being a six year old kid & seeing all of those huge, larger than life babyface characters & personalities for the first time. I don't know if there's a better representation of 1980's WWF than that team. 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! THanksgiving week really makes me miss NYC so much (mitigated by the fact that Daylight Savings starts now and it absolutely sucks). Grateful to all of you for making this board the best place to discuss all things pro wrestling. Hopefully if Musk kills Twitter, we see a resurgence of forums and message boards in 2022. Retro is in. 

12 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

Yeah, for us Canadians, it's a regular Thursday.

See, SirEdger? Typical Americans assuming everybody thinks just like they and do what they do.

BRET HART WAS RIGHT ABOUT YOU PEOPLE IN 1997.

Now excuse me while I go watch Football.

And in all seriousness, Happy (American) Thanksgiving to all my American Good Brothers at PWO.

10 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

See, SirEdger? Typical Americans assuming everybody thinks just like they and do what they do.

BRET HART WAS RIGHT ABOUT YOU PEOPLE IN 1997.

Now excuse me while I go watch Football.

And in all seriousness, Happy (American) Thanksgiving to all my American Good Brothers at PWO.

Well, it wasn't THAT much a regular Thursday since it was an NFL tripleheader BUUUUUUUUUUUT...

To this day Thanksgiving is a special episode of my pro-wrestling weekly show. I have no idea what is that fixation with stuffing turkeys or giving random thanks (to whom, for what, I dunno). Plus, Survivor Series used to be shown just before Xmas, because there was that much delay, so really it's just confusing and exotic to me. Hey, enjoy it nonetheless, 'murican PWO people !