Pro Wrestling Only

ROH Final Battle 2022....I guess this can go here technically

sek69

1 hour ago, El-P said:

FWIW, I believe TK said that he already made more money out of ROH with the PPV's than he spent buying it.

The fact he said that there will be a heavy NJPW involvement and that the details will come out after the Tokyo Dome is pretty intriguing though. A merger of sorts with NJ Strong ? A ROH presence in NJPWWorld ? 

Tony couldn't stop talking about NJPW being involved it felt lol. A Strong alignment (in more ways than one) I think would be an immediate win for everyone. Tom Lawlor wrestling in pure rules would rock.

Frankly, $10/month for new Briscoe matches is going to get me if they can commit to 1 or 2. Would love to them run some smaller venues not as a way to make it look lesser than AEW but definitely different. I think the production has been great for the PPVs.

Also hoping they find a way to get Shane Taylor involved in all the promotions. Just an absolute stud.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A hugely enjoyable show, wasn't initially going to watch, but after announcing FTR vs. Briscoes III I was compelled to watch.

And what a match it was! Reading through the comments, I appreciate it wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but for me, it was the perfect ending to the trilogy, and FTR weren't hurt at all with the loss, and losing the titles.

6 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

But that doesn't explain why the match was set up in the first place. The Briscoes lost the first two matches fair and square. Where do they get off asking for another title shot, let one under rules that favor them? If you want to say FTR are fighting champions who never back down from a challenge, that's all well and good. But then they lost, so they seem more like overconfident chumps. Feuds between babyfaces where both sides come across not so great seems to be a TK booking staple because the same thing is happening with Mox/Page. As it currently stands, Hangman is a punk who's upset about being knocked out by a perfectly legal wrestling move and Moxley is a prick who mocked an opponent's serious injury.

The Briscoes pushed FTR to the limit in two classic matches and wanted another shot at them on their terms. FTR was too proud to say no. The fans ate it up. That's enough justification for me, and I don't see how either team came out of any of it looking bad. TK's inability to put the Briscoes on TV took away depth and richness from the build, sure, but that's a quibble when we're talking about such a great series.

8 minutes ago, Childs said:

The Briscoes pushed FTR to the limit in two classic matches and wanted another shot at them on their terms. FTR was too proud to say no. The fans ate it up. That's enough justification for me, and I don't see how either team came out of any of it looking bad. TK's inability to put the Briscoes on TV took away depth and richness from the build, sure, but that's a quibble when we're talking about such a great series.

Agreed, both teams benefited from the series. 

Dave posited that Tony might have just thrown ROH on Honor Club for now so they can put it in the package for rights renewal time. WWE just did something similar by extending the replay rights for Hulu until the time their TV deal is up for renewal.

Also he pretty heavily implied Dralistico big timed the finish in that match since stars in Mexico can get away with it there. 

46 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Also he pretty heavily implied Dralistico big timed the finish in that match since stars in Mexico can get away with it there. 

That was the first thing I thought about. And then him and Rush bashing their opponent's head in with chairs, I was having a LA Park feel out of the whole thing. And although I really enjoyed Rush's work thus far, this is kind of a red flag. First Dralistico match in AEW too, way to make a good impression.

5 hours ago, El-P said:

The fact he said that there will be a heavy NJPW involvement and that the details will come out after the Tokyo Dome is pretty intriguing though. A merger of sorts with NJ Strong ? A ROH presence in NJPWWorld ? 

Yeah I am seeing all sorts of speculation about a merger with New Japan Strong. Which would probably not be the worst idea, come to think of it.

Just now, The Thread Killer said:

Yeah I am seeing all sorts of speculation about a merger with New Japan Strong. Which would probably not be the worst idea, come to think of it.

Yeah, NJ Strong is probably the best wrestling TV show no one talks about (and I say that as someone who very seldom watch any of it, but whenever I do I always find it really good). 

12 minutes ago, El-P said:

Yeah, NJ Strong is probably the best wrestling TV show no one talks about (and I say that as someone who very seldom watch any of it, but whenever I do I always find it really good). 

The last time I watched I found the poor production incredibly distracting, which is frequently an issue for NJ's US shows. Merge the two shows / rosters and give them better production, and you probably have something like the old ROH in terms of show quality.

22 hours ago, Matt D said:

One could argue that they were goaded into it by the Gunns, who have been taunting them with the baldcap and interfering in their matches. But I don't think 95% of the audience base was looking for any kayfabe argument at all. They just wanted the match.

I agree that the destination was far more important than the journey for most fans and what they accomplished in the ring more than offset any issues with the booking. I also recognize that having a team that can't appear on TV is a significant handicap when it comes to telling stories.