Pro Wrestling Only

ROH Final Battle 2022....I guess this can go here technically

sek69

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume whatever kind of TV deal they got won’t be involving Warner Brothers Discovery, since he put the tag straps on Dem Boys and they’re banned. Rumor has it it’s some sort of streaming deal.

Overall, that was a very good show but in my opinion it peaked with the Tag Title match. Quite honestly, I’d be perfectly fine never seeing Chris Jericho on TV again. It has nothing to do with his personal life or his politics, or whatever else. I’m just over the guy, I used to consider myself a pretty big fan, but I’m getting really tired of his act.

Watching the post show press conference. It’s brutal. (These softball questions are just comical. These “reporters” HAVE to be paid plants.) Anyhow…Tony Khan is finally addressing the ROH TV situation.

Basically, he couldn’t get a TV deal with WB/Discovery…so the TV show is going to be on the Honor Club streaming service but PPV’s will be separate from that and won’t be available to stream until 90 days after the event. He’s doing a lot of babbling about New Japan working with ROH too, but no details.

27 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

the TV show is going to be on the Honor Club streaming service but PPV’s will be separate from that and won’t be available to stream until 90 days after the event.

This is absolutely the worst-case scenario and very bad fucking news.

It's obvious that TK did not envision the show being on Honor Club, or he would've done that months ago.

On top of that, AEW's version of Honor Club is demonstrably worse than the original, with PPVs now on a 90-day delay.

R.I.P. ROH (again!) 

It's absolutely hilarious that AEW fanboys spent months trying to create a scenario where ROH would be on HBO Max, because of this insane idea that anybody at WB would be interested in 20 year old DVD's of old ROH shows to be put on the service right beside House of the Dragon or Euphoria, but instead, Tony has to basically do the old ROH system, but worse. 

1 minute ago, Jesse Ewiak said:

It's absolutely hilarious that AEW fanboys spent months trying to create a scenario where ROH would be on HBO Max, because of this insane idea that anybody at WB would be interested in 20 year old DVD's of old ROH shows to be put on the service right beside House of the Dragon or Euphoria, but instead, Tony has to basically do the old ROH system, but worse. 

The fact that HBO got entirely out of the boxing game should've given them a clue.

6 hours ago, C.S. said:

This is absolutely the worst-case scenario and very bad fucking news.

It's obvious that TK did not envision the show being on Honor Club, or he would've done that months ago.

On top of that, AEW's version of Honor Club is demonstrably worse than the original, with PPVs now on a 90-day delay.

R.I.P. ROH (again!) 

Yeah, this feels like enough of a debacle that I’m wondering where AEW goes next.

Why integrate ROH so tightly into AEW programming — why set up one of AEW’s most recognizable acts as the ROH champion — if you weren’t offering them as a package deal to networks? If it was to resuscitate the ROH brand for TV viability, clearly that mission was an abject failure. And what does that mean for AEW’s next deal?

If they’re looking to spinoff ROH into more of a standalone promotion, then why take such a step back on Honor Club’s value right out of the gate? Do they really think that ROH TV will be enough of an NXT-style value proposition to offset the 90 day waiting period for PPVs?

It just feels like both scenarios they could have been chasing — AEW and ROH being packaged together, ROH splintering off — are looking at worse outcomes than they were a few months ago.

Streaming services generally are trying to vacuum up all the content they can, so the idea that one of them would want ROH content wasn't the craziest idea. 

Still, it's not as bad as everyone seems to be making it out to be. It's going to give the ROH crew a place of their own instead of clogging up AEW TV, and it seems their PPVs still seem to be selling well so there's at least some income coming from that. 

IMHO Tony heard the complaints about ROH stuff killing the momentum on Dynamite and wanted to put it somewhere ASAP. Clearly this wasn't the most ideal situation, but I suppose he felt he had to make a move.

I would suspect ROH TV will be the legacy ROH talent they signed plus Dark level talents, with a smattering of midcard AEW talent in between programs. Kind of like their version of NXT but less "newbies learning on the job". 

Also I would expect the women's side to be probably more AEW folks, for obvious reasons. 

The fact that TK could not get a TV deal for ROH makes AEW's existence even more impressive. The fact that AEW was able to get off the ground and be as successful as it is is surreal. Anthem needed to literally buy a channel to keep Impact running, and we all saw ROH had no luck despite Dynamite regularly being a feature of WBD's press releases. 

Hopefully, this means the end of ROH storylines occupying a giant bulk of AEW TV's time. 

As far as this PPV is concerned, the FTR-Briscoes match might just be the match of the year for me. If I had to rank their matches, I would go with 3>1>2, but all three were tremendous. It's genuinely hilarious to me that some Elite fans on Twitter want FTR to be gone from AEW just cuz FTR Bald is passive aggressive on Twitter and talks to Corny. They are massively over, although not as over as they were a few months back, and they have had some of the best matches of the year across the board. But oh no, Bald is an idiot on Twitter (unlike the Bucks and Omega, who famously are so mature and graceful on social media), so TK should fire their ass. 

Very enjoyable show. I think I actually like the vibe and pace of the ROH PPVs this year over AEW shows. Less manic coke energy. Things are taken a little slower, more time to breathe.  Ian and Caprice are a great commentary duo.  Match wise, enjoyed everything aside from the main event but did pop for the giant swing ending in a tap out. FTR/Briscoes is definitely the only chain match that can stand toe to toe with Piper/Valentine. Just brutal shit. Nice to see ROCKHARD Juice drop the Bullet Club bullshit and work much closer to what made him pop so much in NJ to begin with.

Story of AEW PPV in 2022 be like :

Show happens : AWESOME ! I love pro-wrestling !

Media scrub : Dude, WTF ?

So yeah, I loved the show top to bottom, and that's including the Zero Hour stuff. I felt bad for Joe & Juice (hey, they can tag-team and here I give you their tag team name) because no one could follow FTR vs Briscoes. This is up there with any legendary series of matches. Funny, with all the complaints and criticisms (including from me) about the booking of FTR, they actually had a legendary year. Dax may be right there as the year long MVP of the promotion for 2022. 

Honor Club ? Really now ? So that means that Claudio & Athena are gonna work on Honor Club ? Fuck, put it on Youtube at least. But really now. I want Athena to kill it like she did today on AEW TV. And I don't want none of that ROH stuff on my AEW TV because it's been an albatros (apart from the Jericho as ROH champ angle, which has been great and has delivered bangers after bangers, Jericho haters notwithstanding) to the company.

Listen Coach TK. Buying the ROH library was terrific for a future streaming catalogue. Very cool. 

Running ROH as an active promotion : BAD IDEA. I remember Meltz said it since day one. And he was right. It NEVER WORKS. Stamp the AEW label on Final Battle and you sell more of it. It would not be as great for obvious reasons (Briscoes, nope), but it doesn't really matter, it would still sell more as an AEW PPV. And you would not have to dilute the focus of the promotion with a dozen more titles. 

Just LET IT REST.

FOCUS ON AEW.

Fucks's sake.

Show was awesome though, and I think FTR and the Briscoes have outdone themselves. I did not think the 2/3 falls match was better than the first, but this one may be.

We should compare the FTR-Briscoes trilogy with other trilogies in wrestling history, including Flair-Steamboat. I think FTR-Briscoes 3 was the greatest match of their trilogy, something you cannot confidently say about Flair-Steamboat, either in 1984 or in 1989, cuz the third is usually considered inferior to both the 2/3 falls Clash match as well as the Chi-Town match. This FTR-Briscoes Double dog collar match was genuinely the best though in their trilogy though. It was the match of the year for me. 

The dog collar match is so good, it has exceeded my expectations, I prefer it over the other two matches they've had this year, and it's one of the main candidates for this year's MOTY, along with Anarchy in the Arena, Villano vs. Penta, Mox vs. Punk and Page vs. Dragon.

I think the FTR vs. Briscoes trilogy is much better than Flair vs. Steamboat, I've rewatched their matches recently for the GME project and none of them would make my Top 200, but maybe it's just me being weird or being tired of their matchup, I prefer Flair with Ricky Morton and Terry Funk.

Last great "trilogy" is Syuri vs Utami Hayashishita, as they had their third match in one year and a half a few days ago. Funny enough, likewise FTR vs Briscoes, their match 1 & 3 were the best to me. Although I think I prefer FTR vs Briscoe III and Utami vs Syuri I. Above everything, I'm just glad I'm able to get this kind of pro-wrestling now. Lucky me.