Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV 1/18-1/20

Timbo Slice

Wonder where Top Flight go from here. TK's biggest weakness as a booker is following up on hot acts and/or hot moments. Top Flight have had a great few weeks, including in the Rampage battle royal; they were a part of Rampage's ratings rehab, which has actually been quite successful. Hopefully they don't meander and get lost in the mix in the next few weeks. 

Wow, the Gunns are getting loud reactions. That is a sentence I never ever thought I would type. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol I have criticised TK quite a bit, but it's only fair that I give him his props: he has really booked The Acclaimed excellently. 

Both Hangman and Renee are great. I know PWO does not like Hangman, but I love him, and that interview was perfect for what it was. Renee remains the best signing AEW have made in at least one year. 

Ricky Starks has been winning consistently in this feud, but I don't think he has been elevated during this time. Contrast this to MJF getting elevated from the Punk feud, even though they went 1-1 and Punk won the blow-off. Or even - and I know PWO hates them, but this is undeniably true - how Mox elevated Yuta even while beating him three times in a row. 

Wow, an actual good promo by MJF. How about it? This is the first time he has cut a good promo in what, 2 months? "Maxed Max" is a bit corny but it is clear what he is saying. The best MJF is the MJF that has some depth and real, actual edge, and not just some cheap heat corny edginess. 

Yeah, that was a turn. It had to happen, and makes Saraya immediately more exciting - and also means that the most popular wrestler in the division, Jamie Hayter, can finally be a babyface. 

It would be interesting to see how the former Sasha Banks fits into this dynamic, if TK has managed to sign her 

Bryan/Bandido was a little masterpiece if you ask me. In fact, I don't think I have seen a better Bandido match, and this was my favourite Bryan singles match since the last title match with Hangman. MOTYC level, for sure.

Please tell me they're not gonna do a love triangle with Hangman, René Paquette and Mox.

1 hour ago, MoS said:

The best MJF is the MJF that has some depth and real, actual edge, and not just some cheap heat Corny edginess. 

Quoted to highlight your choice of words as I imagine that we all know who is probably encouraging MJF to keep up the cheap heel heat edginess. 

15 hours ago, Big Pete said:

It makes sense, Saraya turned herself heel in the lead up to Full Gear and Toni needed some direction. It gives the division a much needed arc as well beyond it revolving around DMD.

Yeah, but it feels like there was a big opportunity to turn her right at the start - and it would have made even more sense. Bringing in a beloved wrestler with a sympathetic story just to have her be full of herself would not be bad.

Doing so now makes it feel more noticeable that they gave up on having her as a face.

Bringing someone with Saraya's backstory in as a heel right off the bat makes about as much sense as having Buff Bagwell join the nWo. The real problem is that the dynamic of the feud with Britt was completely screwed up. Either the beloved figure making a miraculous comeback would get put in her place by the cocky heel or the homegrown star would get put in her place by the WWE outsider. It seems likely that a portion of the audience would have turned on Saraya even if she hadn't inadvertently heeled herself over the course of the feud.

3 hours ago, TheDuke said:

Quoted to highlight your choice of words as I imagine that we all know who is probably encouraging MJF to keep up the cheap heel heat edginess. 

Look I’m a Corny fan and mostly agree with him about the state of modern wrestling, but I think you’re deluding yourself if you think MJF is seeking advice from Corny. He apparently was pissed at FTR for going on Corny’s podcast when he’s been so critical of the company that is buttering all their bread, and he’s only used Corny references as a way to get heel heat thus far. Moreover, Corny has been critical of MJF’s lack of variation and vocabulary and overuse of repetitive affect, so I doubt this is true even on the terms you’re setting, as Corny was like the most verbally creative and least cheap heat-getter of the 80s.

52 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Bringing someone with Saraya's backstory in as a heel right off the bat makes about as much sense as having Buff Bagwell join the nWo. The real problem is that the dynamic of the feud with Britt was completely screwed up. Either the beloved figure making a miraculous comeback would get put in her place by the cocky heel or the homegrown star would get put in her place by the WWE outsider. It seems likely that a portion of the audience would have turned on Saraya even if she hadn't inadvertently heeled herself over the course of the feud.

I'd argue having Britt as her first opponent was not a good idea. Britt is immensely popular, sure, but she was NEVER good at putting opponent over in promos. No one gets over her on that regard, we have discussed this. It was doomed from the start.

I have no idea why or who gave the green light to those first promos - they killed the dynamics of the match, like you said -, but I maintain that since they did it, pulling the double turn at their match was the most logical choice. 

Who could've been a good opponent for Saraya then? She's not very good in the ring and a lot of the ladies in the AEW roster are pretty average themselves so the pool is very limited for her "long awaited" return.

I guess Tay Melo could've done some fun stuff as a heel and make the crowd want to see Saraya beat her. But that's about it. Someone like Serena Deeb would've turned babyface just off the strength of her wrestling ability :lol:

19 minutes ago, Embrodak said:

Look I’m a Corny fan and mostly agree with him about the state of modern wrestling, but I think you’re deluding yourself if you think MJF is seeking advice from Corny. He apparently was pissed at FTR for going on Corny’s podcast when he’s been so critical of the company that is buttering all their bread, and he’s only used Corny references as a way to get heel heat thus far. Moreover, Corny has been critical of MJF’s lack of variation and vocabulary and overuse of repetitive affect, so I doubt this is true even on the terms you’re setting, as Corny was like the most verbally creative and least cheap heat-getter of the 80s.

Cornette's verbiage was certainly creative, but he was far from averse to cheap heat. He was responsible for the only retake in the history of TBS studio wrestling when he said that Ronnie Garvin's face went up like the Challenger. And the fried chicken/Ethiopia joke that got him in hot water a few years ago was originally a line he used to describe Big Bubba Rogers. Not to mention his whole gimmick was a thinly veiled gay stereotype.

6 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Cornette's verbiage was certainly creative, but he was far from averse to cheap heat. He was responsible for the only retake in the history of TBS studio wrestling when he said that Ronnie Garvin's face went up like the Challenger. And the fried chicken/Ethiopia joke that got him in hot water a few years ago was originally a line he used to describe Big Bubba Rogers. Not to mention his whole gimmick was a thinly veiled gay stereotype.

First of all, that Garvin line is pretty fucking funny, in my opinion. Second of all, I didn’t say Corny never got cheap heat or said edgy shit, I said that it wasn’t some central facet of his performance style and probably wouldn’t be what he most encouraged in a performer like MJF if he were in regular contact with him, which again I am rather dubious of. (Unless we’re saying the whole premise of being a heel who goes out and does one-liners and roasts people is “cheap heel heat edginess”, which is not my understanding of what the general critique of MJF is.) Third, saying “flamboyant rich kid who is actually a coward and weakling” is a “thinly veiled gay stereotype” is a bit of a reductive characterization of his gimmick. Yeah, there’s stuff there that’s queer-coded, but basically none of it exclusively and unambiguously so. 

That is a funny line. 

Bryan Danielson v. Brian Cage should be tons of fun. Cage can do MOVEZ but struggles with structure and pacing, and that's where the GOAT will come in. Plus, I always mark for Danielson being mean and aggressive to wrestlers far bigger than he is.