Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV 1/18-1/20

Timbo Slice

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the point I was trying to make is that being the least cheap heat-getting heel of the 80s is kind of like being the least roided-up face-painted tag team. Cornette may not have gone out and waved the Russian flag, but he wasn't exactly a stickler for good taste.

I don't expect Cage/Danielson to be as good as Cage's match with Darby from a couple of years ago, but that's because Bryan has too much sense to go to the lengths Darby did to get the match over. At least, I hope he does.

On 1/20/2023 at 2:16 AM, Embrodak said:

Yeah, there’s stuff there that’s queer-coded, but basically none of it exclusively and unambiguously so. 

When he was in Mid South, Bill Watts would heavily imply it on commentary to the point he might as well have just come out and said it.  By the time he was in JCP it was less "sissy" and more "spoiled rich mama's boy". 

As for Bryan, I suspect he's going to have another great match since Cage is ridiculous for a guy his size and he can let Bryan steer the ship. 

38 minutes ago, sek69 said:

When he was in Mid South, Bill Watts would heavily imply it on commentary to the point he might as well have just come out and said it.  By the time he was in JCP it was less "sissy" and more "spoiled rich mama's boy". 

As for Bryan, I suspect he's going to have another great match since Cage is ridiculous for a guy his size and he can let Bryan steer the ship. 

Yeah but you hardly had to be understood as gay to be insulted and denigrated for perceived effeminacy in the South at that time, or almost anywhere in America outside certain neighborhoods in a few big cities.

I shit on Tony Khan so much, so let me also praise him when he has done something to deserve it - I think HOOK and JungleHOOK's booking have been impeccable, and I am really looking forward to watching both Jack Perry and HOOK climb atop the ladder. 

30 minutes ago, MoS said:

This Eddie Kingston shit is just so awful. Love for him always, but otherwise, he is just being misused and ill-treated.

Sure he is. A few years back he was broke and about to retire, he's now probably making more money than he ever has, is being featured in the second biggest promotion in the world, working with incredible talent on regular basis and just had a match with his idol Jun Akiyama a few months ago. What a mistreatment. See also, Harwood, Dax.

Was a heel turn needed ? Nope, but it gives him a new dynamic and he works great as a heel too. So, might as well enjoy him in that role anyway.

A heel turn was certainly needed for Saraya though. That's the best thing they could have done with her, on every aspects.

In other news, great week of AEW again. Loving the promotion so much again, after a more questionable 2022.

(Willie Mack !!!!)

10 hours ago, sek69 said:

Something similar happened with Brutus Beefcake. The original idea is that he was a gay stripper, which is why he was billed from San Francisco. After he became The Barber, that aspect was downplayed and he actually became a hometown hero to SF crowds.

19 hours ago, MoS said:

I shit on Tony Khan so much, so let me also praise him when he has done something to deserve it - I think HOOK and JungleHOOK's booking have been impeccable, and I am really looking forward to watching both Jack Perry and HOOK climb atop the ladder. 

Wasn't HOOKhaunsen the hottest thing in the company not so long ago? What happened with that, what did I miss?

I think Jungle Hook is a great way to get Hook over and get him more experience in the ring without exposing his green-ness too much. Hookhausen was over, but let’s be real, Hook is not the kind of talent that you let pal around with the comedy goof on Rampage or Dark for a long time. He’s not experienced enough to be the “real worker” who leads the match and sets up the circumstances for the comedy guy to get his schtick in, and given he has genuine potential, it’s a lot more important to get him doing straightforward matches that will really build the muscle memory and intuition he needs to be a singles guy.

You know the main problem right now is they don’t really have a heel tag team with any juice that can get the titles off The Acclaimed. It’s not pressing, they can prob keep them on The Acclaimed until the summer and do these mini Jarrett/Lethal type feuds because they’re still way over, but Top Flight and Jungle Hook don’t necessarily have anywhere to go for now.