Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 01/23 - 01/29 Fist of the North Star turns 40 this year

KawadaSmile

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Embrodak said:

I can aaaaaalmost grok inviting Lawler because the accusation against him is a lot murkier and less publicized, maybe it’s a flimsier charge than we on the internet know (has it been studied by an investigative journalist? Serious question)

Bix did a pretty comprehensive piece on it. 

https://deadspin.com/jerry-lawler-wrote-a-really-dumb-letter-to-prosecutors-1822790447

Bix seems to have his critics on Twitter and Reddit - I'm not sure why because I'm not invested enough to go down that rabbit hole - but he seems to do actual investigative journalism, unlike Sapp and even Meltzer most of the time. 

It looks like they are building up to Sami finally having enough and telling Roman to GFY, and that's gonna get a monster pop when it happens.

I wonder if they are going to do a Sting/Horsemen deal where Sami wins the Rumble and Roman just expects him either to give up the shot or do a Fingerpoke of Doom type situation to set up Sami finally standing up for himself. 

Nothing screams "Royal Rumble match actually don't matter" more than the fact we're 4 days before the show and only 7 women have been announced. Hard to not give less of a fuck in term of booking.

As far as nostalgia goes, I think the question that should be asked is what does that kind of nostalgia even means. Racism and sexual assault notwithstanding, do people really are happy to see old guys standing there looking old while they are reminded or remind themselves of the "good ol' days" when "wrestling was good" and had "real stars" ? I mean, if that's your thing, then why don't you just watch some prime Flair, Hogan, Taker stuff. Is there a kind of schadenfreude to remind yourself that you don't actually consider pro-wrestling good anymore and that the people from 25, 30, 40 years ago are always be better in your mind ? Ins't this a little morbid to begin with ? If I'm a huge Roman Reign fan, I really don't care to be reminded that, hey, actually, John Cena is a much bigger star and he's going on the cover of the pro-wrestling game. If I'm a Sami Zayn fan, I really don't want to have old guys telling it's time to suck it like boomers edgelords on Facebook.

And of course, you have the elephant in the room. Hulk "I guess we're all a bit racist" Hogan being celebrated. Ric Flair showing up at the same time Vince McMahon is taking back control of his company while paying ridiculous amount of money to women he absolutely did not sexually assault. Lawler's case is so old that most people don't even think about it anymore, since back then it was still the "groupies will be groupies" mentality, but if that happened during the #speakingout movement, I doubt he would be allowed on TV (then again, here goes Matt Riddle). And Taker, oh well, he apparently came on his bike, full on MAGA style, at least he's owning up his shitty views on life considering it was even part of his promo.

So yeah. What's the point ? What's the message being sent ?  What's the fun in this, expect blind validation of awful people from the past who also happened to be huge stars and great workers ? In 2023 ? Really ? (looking at the state of the world) Oh, of course. Obviously.

Meanhwile, Mark Briscoe, who has not done anything wrong, won't be allowed on TV by WBD. 

3 hours ago, sek69 said:

It looks like they are building up to Sami finally having enough and telling Roman to GFY, and that's gonna get a monster pop when it happens.

I wonder if they are going to do a Sting/Horsemen deal where Sami wins the Rumble and Roman just expects him either to give up the shot or do a Fingerpoke of Doom type situation to set up Sami finally standing up for himself. 

Sami is a lot closer to Ronnie Garvin than Sting. People will get behind him as a challenger, but giving him the rub of ending a multi-year world title reign would be a huge mistake.

I think where they’ve kinda fucked themselves is Sami is now so closely identified with the Usos that them turning on him for a Sami/KO versus Usos match just doesn’t make sense. Jey fucking hated him and is now his biggest defender!

Maybe they could do a thing where Roman defends each belt on each night? Defend against Sami the first night, have him win dirty but have the Usos finally break with Roman and save Sami from a post-match beatdown, then Cody comes in the next night and, Roman being Uso-less, finally loses one of his belts to Cody. Then you could have Sami win the other belt at the next PLE, cap that storyline without giving Sami the “beat the streak” rub, and finally give Roman a break to go away, do some movies or whatever, so he can come back and do something new for once.

6 minutes ago, Embrodak said:

Maybe they could do a thing where Roman defends each belt on each night? Defend against Sami the first night, have him win dirty but have the Usos finally break with Roman and save Sami from a post-match beatdown, then Cody comes in the next night and, Roman being Uso-less, finally loses one of his belts to Cody. Then you could have Sami win the other belt at the next PLE, cap that storyline without giving Sami the “beat the streak” rub, and finally give Roman a break to go away, do some movies or whatever, so he can come back and do something new for once.

This all makes sense, and it would go full circle since Roman was gaslighting his cousins all the way into The Bloodline. 

I wanna know what the plans for Solo are. He is positioned as the enforcer, and it doesn't seem to fuck with his brothers like that, either. With Roman gone, will he get a push?

Also:

Cody wins the Rumble.

Sami wins Elimination Chamber in Montreal (he has to, since Kevin Owens is doing the J.O.B at the Rumble, and not getting a huge win for the local crowd would be ridiculous when they have two Montreal boys at the top of the booking sheets).

Then what you said. And Cody "former EVP from AEW" Rhodes can slither his way into crying after winning the biggest match at the biggest Mania ever, because Dwayne can't be bothered anymore. What a life !

1 hour ago, KawadaSmile said:

It's not so much that Dwayne can't be bothered, but going back to wrestling after essentially frauding Black Adam's box office results would 110% give a message that he doesn't want - his days as a movie/TV star are numbered.

Well, if anything he could still show up at Mania to announce the attendance number then.

By the way, the Bellas did not come to the show because they were kinda pissed apparently.

Brie is also retweeting Mandy Rose's latest special offer or something. That's quite unexpected from whom you'd perceived as more or less lifers (whether in the company or not). Case in point, they really did not bring out any women at all (well, expect the Bella's, who ended up not showing up). Food for thought in term of who you want to sell to or just your usual pettiness ? I dunno...

Edited by El-P

9 minutes ago, El-P said:

By the way, the Bellas did not come to the show because they were kinda pissed apparently.

Brie is also retweeting Mandy Rose's latest special offer or something. That's quite unexpected from whom you'd perceived as more or less lifers (whether in the company or not). Case in point, they really did not bring out any women at all (well, expect the Bella's, who ended up not showing up). Food for thought in term of who you want to sell to or just your usual pettiness ? I dunno...

Seems to me like Nikki & Brie had a tad too much wine before publishing that video. 

1 hour ago, El-P said:

Total Bellas' actual influence on drawing the female demographic to professional wrestling in general is quite understated, I feel. They are doing well for themselves without needing to have a 20+year career, AND Nikki in particular ended up being a pretty damn good wrestler even after a neck injury. They were 100% slighted, even if they were name-dropped. The only female legend I can remember yesterday was Alundra Blayze (who looked like Britt Baker at a glance lol). Truly baffling that not even BETH PHOENIX, who's as active as you could get for someone with legend status, didn't make it. 

For a night with some terrific segments and fun moments, having nearly zero women's wrestling legends on a night to celebrate legends is a way more glaring issue than having to postpone Becky vs Bayley. 

Rock got injured the last time he wrestled, why the hell would he put his film career on hold, potentially for much longer than the time required for training for one match if history repeats itself, to go roll around with Cousin Joe? I’d say he’s cooked as a movie star at this point, the dude has *never* had his Rambo or Terminator role and is getting up there, but there’s always a lag between a new paradigm manifesting and on-the-ground reality comporting.

4 hours ago, SirEdger said:

Seems also that WarnerBros Discovery has changed their stance and Mark will be allowed on AEW TV going forward. A shame that it took Jay's tragic death to change that.

FWIW, Mark was never banned from WBD it was only Jay. Mark could have gone on TV (or to WWE for that matter) solo but he wouldn't without his brother.