WrestleMania 39

flyonthewall2983

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Holy shit, Usos vs. Zayn/Owens... Best WWE Tag match ever? This one blew my mind; I wasn't expecting it to be that good.  It felt like some high end mid 90s AJPW tag.  Having watched these guys since they debuted in ROH in 2007 or so, this one made me tear up. Owens in particular was amazing in this.  

32 minutes ago, El-P said:

Gotta give it up to Jim Cornette, that pro-wrestling visionary that thought not only AEW had no chance of succeeding, but also that El Generico and Kevin Steens did not have what it took to be superstars.

That is not what he said about them. That’s an old Davey Richards/Austin Aries talking point which they tried to use against Cornette. He said Steen could “work his ass off” but needed to lose weight, or he’d end up blowing out both his knees. Cornette also said that Steen was a pain in the ass to deal with backstage and only ever wanted to work with his friends. Cornette absolutely did say that nobody would ever make it big time in the business wearing gear like Steen does, and he needed to trim his beard because he looked like a homeless person. But he never said Steen wasn’t good enough to make it in the business. Cornette is actually quite complimentary about Steen/Owens in ring work. 

Cornette said that Zayn was crazy for wrestling in a mask and not wanting to cut promos, since he’s a natural promo and his facial expressions are great. Over the past year, Cornette has been singing Sami’s praises so much as the best promo in Pro Wrestling that Zayn actually joked about it on Twitter with him.

The while “Cornette saw nothing in Steen and Generico” talking point is about as true as the “Cornette secretly wanted to work an angle with The Young Bucks” talking point.

29 minutes ago, Strummer said:

I guess this could be Hunter's last night on the job if the sale is announced tomorrow.

Not if the Endeavor people are smart. Despite Vince's weazely ways of trying to get more and more inside with Mania approaching, it's obvious the overall creative success of this Mania should be credited to Trip. They have no reason to get rid of him other than "Well, we bought the company, we'll put our people everywhere now", which of course could happen. 

19 minutes ago, sek69 said:

The interesting part of this potential deal is that even if Vince manges to worm himself back in to creative control, he's not going to be at the top of the food chain anymore. I wonder how long he can stand having someone over him. 

So much this. No professional corporate board is going to put up with Vince McMahon’s control freak behaviour and micromanaging crap for long. No way.

20 minutes ago, sek69 said:

The Saudis own a small percentage in a bunch of companies nowadays, even Nintendo. 

That’s what I thought. I remember when I first read the rumour about them buying the entire company, I looked up the “Saudi Public Investment Fund” and I was pretty shocked at the number of high profile companies that the Saudis own a not insignificant piece of.

2 minutes ago, Blehschmidt said:

Brock Lesnar vs Jon Jones to unify the WWE and UFC Titles at Wrestlemania 40 is going to draw giant PPV numbers.

Fuck that. Lesnar TONIGHT comes out after Cody wins the title while Roman signals for him to get in the ring... and you know what happened 30 years ago.

16 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

So much this. No professional corporate board is going to put up with Vince McMahon’s control freak behaviour and micromanaging crap for long. No way.

I don't see Vince lasting long in an environment where he's not the dictator. 

Just now, sek69 said:

I don't see Vince lasting long in an environment where he's not the dictator. 

Ari Emanuel is the CEO of Endeavour. He is the guy calling the shots, but he has been content for Dana to be the public face of the UFC, especially since Dana knows the MMA business better than pretty much anybody else. The difference between Dana White and Vince McMahon is that Dana was never solely in charge of the UFC. First he had the Fertitta Brothers and now he has Emanuel. Despite all of his bluster and his public persona, White knows how to take orders from somebody else when it comes to his company. 

There is NO way Vince will take orders from Ari Emanuel. I can’t see him and Vince coexisting. The only way this will work is if Vince has a title in name only, and basically takes a massive step back and never goes to work. And when has he ever shown the ability to do that?

Dana's basically been like the King of England of UFC. He has a fancy title but most of his job is a figurehead and/or just for promotion. Also I think Ari is smart enough to realize MMA bros wouldn't stick around with UFC if Dana wasn't there. 

2 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Dana's basically been like the King of England of UFC. He has a fancy title but most of his job is a figurehead and/or just for promotion. Also I think Ari is smart enough to realize MMA bros wouldn't stick around with UFC if Dana wasn't there. 

You are exactly right and I just can’t believe that Ari Emanuel is dumb enough to think that Vince McMahon would settle for the exact same deal.

1 hour ago, Strummer said:

I guess this could be Hunter's last night on the job if the sale is announced tomorrow.

By the looks of it, Endeavor will keep Hunter in his position. I seriously doubt they're gonna change anything creatively for WWE.

46 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

That is not what he said about them. That’s an old Davey Richards/Austin Aries talking point which they tried to use against Cornette. He said Steen could “work his ass off” but needed to lose weight, or he’d end up blowing out both his knees. Cornette also said that Steen was a pain in the ass to deal with backstage and only ever wanted to work with his friends. Cornette absolutely did say that nobody would ever make it big time in the business wearing gear like Steen does, and he needed to trim his beard because he looked like a homeless person. But he never said Steen wasn’t good enough to make it in the business. Cornette is actually quite complimentary about Steen/Owens in ring work. 

Cornette said that Zayn was crazy for wrestling in a mask and not wanting to cut promos, since he’s a natural promo and his facial expressions are great. Over the past year, Cornette has been singing Sami’s praises so much as the best promo in Pro Wrestling that Zayn actually joked about it on Twitter with him.

The while “Cornette saw nothing in Steen and Generico” talking point is about as true as the “Cornette secretly wanted to work an angle with The Young Bucks” talking point.

Yeah, it’s odd how criticism of Corny so often revolves around misrepresentations of what he says, when there’s plenty to criticize about what he *does* say, if one is so inclined.

The amount of denial about Vince has been completely insane.

If we believe what's out there, Vince would be co-president of the brand new company that would control both UFC and WWE, with Dana as UFC president and Nick Khan as WWE president. He would gain even more power and money than before. A true conglomerate of dirtbags, really.

5 minutes ago, flyonthewall2983 said:

Tonight is the end of an era, that’s for sure. 

Yup.

Not that I care, really, but odds on Randy Orton being the one showing up to answer Lashley's challenge ? (of course, it could be Uncle Howdy still, why not)

1 minute ago, Embrodak said:

Yeah, it’s odd how criticism of Corny so often revolves around misrepresentations of what he says, when there’s plenty to criticize about what he *does* say, if one is so inclined.

It’s funny you mention that, I was struck by that exact point just recently during the whole “Riho deleted her Twitter account after being bullied by Jim Cornette” fiasco. It has since been pretty much conclusively proven that Cornette had nothing to do with it. I don’t understand why people go to such great lengths to attribute stuff to Cornette that he didn’t actually do…when there is such a wealth of stupid shit that he DID do to criticize him for.

5 minutes ago, El-P said:

Not that I care, really, but odds on Randy Orton being the one showing up to answer Lashley's challenge ? (of course, it could be Uncle Howdy still, why not)

I just assumed it was going to be LA Knight. Haven’t they’ve been doing an angle with him where he’s pissed he is not on the show and his guaranteeing that he’s going to be there?

If Randy is really going to be making a surprise return, I would’ve imagined they would do it tomorrow night on RAW since that’s traditionally how they do things with surprise returns, the night after Wrestlemania and all that?

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

Dana and Vince being corporate bros seems like something that was just meant to happen.

Vince somehow is not the worst piece of shit in this century, between the two.

1 hour ago, El-P said:

Odds on Cody crying tonight ? 

He is gonna cry after Roman spears his ass back to a feud with Seth Rollins. Believe that!

3 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Vince somehow is not the worst piece of shit in this century, between the two.

I'm pretty sure Vince sexually assaulting/raping multiple women over the years beats whatever Dana did. Then again, I did not follow Dana's career either. Both are useless waste of oxygen.

3 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

He is gonna cry after Roman spears his ass back to a feud with Seth Rollins. Believe that!

Fuck, it would be kinda funny in a way if Cody did not win the title in a "That doesn't work for me brother" Samoan dynasty moment.

Just now, KawadaSmile said:

What is the general consensus about all this stuff going on in the media this past week between Cody Rhodes and Seth Rollins? There have been claims that they legitimately don’t like each other and got into a physical confrontation backstage. They have been pretty much slagging each other off in interviews, which is weird. WWE is not known for airing their dirty laundry, it’s not like they are AEW.

Is that meant to be leading up to Seth being his first challenger when Cody wins the title?