flyonthewall2983

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

I'm not too sure about that. Cena/Theory pops on a "poster" that was featured on a mainstream ESPN show more than the Usos/KO & Zayn, but I don't think that necessarily means its on last...especially as I expect its going to end in some sort of screwy fashion that keeps the US Title on Theory, but that ends with Cena planting him with the AA. You get the "feel good" moment of Cena hitting his finisher, but at the end of the day, I'm not sure you want to end Night 1 with something half-hearted when the Usos losing clean is just such an obvious and well-earned feel-good finish.

I think Rhea winning will also get a big babyface pop if she beats Charlotte if you want to go with that as your closer (and if she helps Dom beat Rey the next night, she's right back to being a heel), but to me, that muddies the waters needlessly. 

The right answer is the Tag Team Championship for your Night 1 main event. (Which also, as thin an argument as it would be, may also send the message to a team like, say, the Young Bucks, that in "Triple H's WWE," the ceiling for tag teams is considerably higher than it was when Vince was in power). 

No lie I feel like this could be a great show. I’ve not watched much WWE overall but the curiosity about the product lately has grown stronger, and with these strong storylines and an able and willing roster, I’m convinced that for at least this weekend we’ll see a company truly at their peak. Very happy my brother is there to soak it all in, more of a true believer in wrestling than I have been in a long time. 

I can't wait to watch Mania, it's gonna be my favorite show of the year for sure ! So excited.... ok, April Fool everyone.

In all seriousness, this has a WM17 feel all over it. Make that what you will. It's already the biggest Mania ever in term of gross (no, not in THAT sense, not yet), and by sheer power of how it's been broadcasted, it will be the most viewed Mania ever. And that's without relying on mostly special attraction matches, as the biggest matches are all long weekly-TV centered storyline involving regular characters. In that sense, it's definitely a peak for the promotion creative-wise. 

As far as in-ring goes, honestly if you look at it on paper, it also has the potential to lap most Manias and pretty easily considering for years and years the show was a chore to get through. That being said, in a totally oversaturated market in term of great pro-wrestling, if I look at the card as a non-WWE fan, do I really want to watch it, after spending the last few days watching a shitload of fun and great stuff ? The answer is no. I don't feel I'd miss anything, I already had more than my share (hell, way more actually, I feel the burn out). Especially since WWE style big-show wrestling, no matter how greatly it's done, is probably my least favorite style. Sure, on paper I'd love to watch Asuka vs Bianca, the Usos vs Sami & Owens, Gunther vs Drew vs Sheamus, and even the two main events (I'm guessing Charlotte vs Rhea is one) for the heck of it, but my brain is already saturated at this point. There's only so much you can watch before just wanting to do something else. Maybe in a few days time (through Very Legal Means always, who am I kidding).

One interesting thing about this show, is that it's the very first time the main event is disputed between two WWE system-bred Nepokids. There has always been a fair amount of second generation talents at Mania, and since WWE has developed its own farming system in the early 00's, some of the second or third generation people have been signed and developed outside of the pro-wrestling landscape, hence deserving the Nepokids tag (the very first one being Dwayne). This year marks the first time the main event is disputed by two of them (Cody, despite leaving for a while, was clearly a WWE-bred Nepokid, even though he was given up on after a while). If the women title is the other main event, that's 3 out of 4 people (with Charlotte). If the tag match is, that's 4 out of 6 (with the Usos). If you add the fact the other hot feud on the mid-card is the Mysterio father and son stuff, then there's another one, in the most literal sense since Dominik is feuding with his father. Add the fact the face of NXT is also a Nepokid (and oh, what a great father he has from the latest news), well, I think in a few years, things will get interesting in term of who will get most of the *legit* opportunities in WWE (my prediction : WWE-bred Nepokids and established influencers only). Needless to say, alternatives will be as badly needed as ever.

Then of course, there's the fact the company is pretty fucking gross, and has the potential of being even more gross in the months to come (and really now, the fact Vince being BACK is so undersold is both appalling and hilarious, it's no wonder why pro-wrestling is still seen as a low-rent freak show, no matter how much money WWE makes) as it's most probably the last Mania before the inevitable sale, and despite what Nick "I don't know how to twist things around about Vince anymore" Khan says about having a shitload of bidders, well... Not that most WWE fans would care about the Saudis buying the thing, but what would the Saudis do with it (apart from being a soft power propaganda machine of course) and how the outside world would react (announcers and such) are concrete issues.

So yeah, it definitely feels like this Mania will be a peak Mania, in many more ways than one. Whether that's a good thing for pro-wrestling as a whole (you know, as opposed to just WWE), that's an entire different story. But it feels like it will be a landmark show.

Today is my father's birthday. I've never asked him but I feel like growing up he had to have hated that his birthday was on April Fools Day. Nevertheless, I got to call him & talk to him today & wish him a happy birthday. I told him that he shares a birthday this year with WrestleMania & he said "does that still happen?" :lol: I got a kick out of that. 

My wife & I will be watching at least some of the show tonight. Back during the Royal Rumble, my wife went to bed before the main event, so she missed the angle that played out with Sami finally turning against Roman & Jey leaving & all that. So I look forward to her getting to see some of the video packages tonight when they're retelling the story before the match or on the preshow.

I did see the set reveal video & out-of-left-field & unnecessary random three skateboarders tie-in excluded, the set looks incredible. I don't actually know what matches I ultimately care too much about, it's more about the spectacle of it all anymore. I assume that both Sami/KO & Cody Rhodes win but I don't know what that means for WWE going forward. I'm sure Randy Orton will be back tonight, so maybe Cody will face Randy next. I look forward to whenever Bron Breaker makes the main roster (and I still hold out hope they change his name to Steiner, although this most recent allegation against Rick Steiner certainly wouldn't help) & I'm ready for the Gunther main event run. Cody Vs. Gunther next instead of Cody Vs. Randy would slap!