Pro Wrestling Only

RIP Jerry Jarrett

El-P

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

Sad news.

One of the best and most influential bookers/promoters ever.

And I loved Jerry Jarrett's podcast with Sean Reedy (who I believe still has an account here).  

Thank you sir. I'll post a whole thing at some point but he was a tremendous human being and I think he belongs in the very top tier of wrestling geniuses alongside Vince and whoever else you want to put there. 

40 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

Just want to be sure that I heard right when I watched the Tales of the Territories episode about Memphis...Did Jerry Lawler say that he & Jerry Jarrett were switching control of creative every 6 months to keep things fresh or did I misinterpret that part?

Jeff Jarrett mentions this all the time on his podcast so yeah you heard it right.

21 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

You'd get six months of classic style Southern rasslin' followed by six months of Lawler feuding with Ta-Gar, Lord of the Volcano.

:D

It's kinda eerie that it was a possibility that both Jarrett and Lawler had passed away in the span of just a few days. 

All-time favorite anecdote about Jerry Jarrett and him famously being a crappy payoff is the infamous Dutch Mantell quote when Jarrett gets the workers in the locker room and ask them if any are on steroid, and Dutch goes "With what you're paying us, we're not even on food."

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

I thought it was well-known that Jarrett and Lawler switched off on booking duties every six months. You can clearly see it if you pay attention to the booking in Memphis. You'd get six months of classic style Southern rasslin' followed by six months of Lawler feuding with Ta-Gar, Lord of the Volcano.

To be frank, I haven't really been exposed to Memphis Wrestling a whole lot so it's not something that I would've really noticed unless I watched a whole lot of it. Guess I'm gonna have to get a deep dive on this eventually.

10 hours ago, SirEdger said:

To be frank, I haven't really been exposed to Memphis Wrestling a whole lot so it's not something that I would've really noticed unless I watched a whole lot of it. Guess I'm gonna have to get a deep dive on this eventually.

Memphis is a ton of fun.  Like any wrestling style, it is not for everyone.  But if you like good storylines, action very much ahead of its time, and probably the best studio wrestling TV show of all time, you should check it out.

October 1985 - April 1986 is an awesome run with Lawler, Dundee, Koko Ware, Dutch Mantel, Buddy Landel, Fantastics......

But it isn't always the best idea to start with the best.  Maybe check out the 8/25/77 Lawler vs Dundee hair match, the 6/6/83 Lawler vs Dundee Loser Leaves Town match (and studio build up show which is fantastic) and then pick and choose before you get to late 1985.

I would agree. Memphis is good chaos. Poor Lance Russell tries to simply announce the card for the week and get through the matches and every week the wrestlers get out of control and tear his schedule to shreds! 

Memphis Wrestling has famously been compared to The Muppet Show with Lance as Kermit and everyone else as the Muppets who just can’t seem to get things right.  They’ll get it together next week though…..right? HA!