Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - 7/19 - 7/22 - Guts and Blood

Timbo Slice

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

But yeah, the time could even be further extended out I guess. I have no actual mental idea when All In is. I barely know what today's date is. It's summer and things get muddled.

MJF/Cole vs FTR for the tag belts is on July 29th.

All In is on August 27th.

All Out is on September 3rd.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- I didn't hate the Bloods and Guts match as much as many people here. I didn't think it was great or anything, but I guess it was exactly what I expected? I'm very far from being the most versed fan in the Elite's history, but I've always found that their version, specifically the Bucks' version, of "hardcore" matches tend to include  lots of high spots that are a touch too cute and choreographed and based on athleticism rather than punishment. In certain situations, this is great fun because who doesn't wanna see someone fly off of and into a dozen ladders...but if I was looking to hurt somebody, I'd be more likely to just use the ladder to bash their brains in. For example, we saw one of the Jacksons dump thumbtacks into the ring from on top of the cage because, well, no one's ever done that before (that I've seen). The "logic" was particularly atrocious because, at the time, his teammates were actually in a prone position about to get powerbombed/piledriven. The idea is that dumping the tacks was enough a distraction to allow his teammates to then counter with back body drops onto the tacks that had been dumped...but, just like that sentence I wrote, it was very convoluted. 

Again, though, you don't go to McDonald's for a 4-star meal and I wasn't expected a Blood and Guts match involving the Young Bucks to not have a bunch of convoluted spots in it. 

- As for MJF/Cole, I don't want to see them beat FTR. I said this before many months ago with the Acclaimed: when an act is this over, you don't need them to be champions. Unfortunately, as good as they are, FTR sometimes seem a bit aimless when they're not either holding the titles or challenging for them. Their gimmick, like their idol Bret Hart's, is basically just being the best. The best means you're the champions. There's plenty you can do with MJF/Cole without them as champs, who are also absolutely killing it as the AEW Tag Team Champions right now after two back-to-back showings like they had against Bullet Club Gold. 

- I know its not a huge marquee match but Takeshita vs. Omega at one of the big PPV shows seems like a lock. And I'm not mad at it. We could also get Takeshita & PAC vs. Golden Lovers, which is another match I wouldn't be sad to see. Either way, its time to move on from BCC/Elite. 

- Lastly, on the topic of Ibushi, I'm willing to reserve full harsh judgment. He did not have a good showing, but this isn't the first time that AEW has brought someone in as a TOP LEVEL WRESTLING GOD and thrown them into a mix that wasn't necessarily their best environ. Again, I'm not super schooled in Ibushi's work, but I didn't know him to be famous for stealing the show in multi-man War Games-style matches. I compare it to the first few matches that Jay White had where, being someone unfamiliar with his work, I didn't get what the hype was about. Instead of coming in and dominating or cutting some awesome promo, he seemed like just another good hand in a company full of good hands. Now, having been put in the position of working with CM Punk and FTR, I very much get what makes Jay White terrific and have quickly become a big fan. So, yeah, Ibushi didn't wow me, but hopefully he'll have a few more matches in AEW and maybe get to do something that is a bit more in his wheelhouse?

1 hour ago, Jmare007 said:

MJF/Cole vs FTR for the tag belts is on July 29th.

All In is on August 27th.

All Out is on September 3rd.

I don't know. This feels like just the right amount of time for me. A one month reign. They can sell a few more shirts, build up the tension.

After they win the belts, they can feud with Roddy and a partner (He had been a PWG Tag champion with PAC. That sounds good). Khan can make the announcement for All Out despite Cole not wanting him to, etc.

You get out before it wears out its welcome so you can go back to it at some point.

(Btw, part of this plan is Kenny and Page winning, FTR beating the Bucks at All In for a number one contender's match, and FTR winning the titles back at All Out. I just don't know what to do with Punk in this scenario).

1 hour ago, DMJ said:

Unfortunately, as good as they are, FTR sometimes seem a bit aimless when they're not either holding the titles or challenging for them. Their gimmick, like their idol Bret Hart's, is basically just being the best. The best means you're the champions.

I don’t disagree with you, but I think part of the problem is that Tony Khan only really seems to book ongoing storylines or angles/feuds for Tag Teams when the Tag Team Titles are involved. I can’t think of the last Tag Team feud that wasn’t centred around the Titles? I don’t know that FTR would oppose being involved in a good long blood feud, but I don’t know that we’ve ever seen one of those in the tag division in AEW?

Just now, Matt D said:

Got to roll with the hot hand. It's just business. They're the ones who want the Bucks match, not me!

Yeah, but I’m kind of liking the whole “You do your flips and dives and never-ending melodramas with The Dark Order on Dynamite…and we’ll have all time classic matches over on Collision” division of labour thing the Bucks and FTR have going now. No need whatsoever for them to have any interaction from this point on.

39 minutes ago, Matt D said:

All I really care right now is that they got the ROH tag belts off the Lucha Bros. Massive anchor on that division.

Yeah, I am loving that decision. I have grown to really like Aussie Open. Now let’s just hope that they defend the belts in normal Tag Team matches not these ridiculous multiteam clusterfucks. That match was so samey.

So at the ROH PPV tonight they did Claudio vs. PAC for the ROH World Title. It’s NOT the Main Event, and it ends with Claudio retaining after a run-in by Wheeler Fucking Yuta. (Because it’s not ROH without Daniel Garcia and Wheeler Yuta. Garcia, by the way, just had a “Pure” Wrestling match with Shibata, which was pretty much focused around Garcia trying to do his little dance. Seriously.)

I am officially done with the Tony Khan version of ROH. He clearly doesn’t give a crap, so why should I? This PPV has been just…yeeeaaahhh. The booking and the matches have been pretty much dogshit.

Man, I would love to stick around and watch Willow Nightingale in the Main Event of a ROH PPV, but this sock drawer isn’t going to reorganize itself, unfortunately.

OK, in truth the Jays game is a late start because they are on the West Coast, so the game has finally started and I can actually watch something good now. But even if I didn’t have that as another option, I would not watch any more of this crap.

2 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

I am officially done with the Tony Khan version of ROH. He clearly doesn’t give a crap, so why should I? This PPV has been just…yeeeaaahhh. The booking and the matches have been pretty much dogshit.

I don't know if it would have been much different otherwise, but once AEW made that deal with WBD that their programming would only air on TNT/TBS it seemed pretty obvious ROH was going to be the new Dark.  They clearly want (and need) a throwaway show to give folks matches to do so they don't get pissed about sitting around too long doing nothing.

It's like if WCW had actually done what some folks were suggesting and booked Saturday Night as its own universe once NItro took over as the A show. 

44 minutes ago, sek69 said:

I don't know if it would have been much different otherwise, but once AEW made that deal with WBD that their programming would only air on TNT/TBS it seemed pretty obvious ROH was going to be the new Dark.  They clearly want (and need) a throwaway show to give folks matches to do so they don't get pissed about sitting around too long doing nothing.

It's like if WCW had actually done what some folks were suggesting and booked Saturday Night as its own universe once NItro took over as the A show. 

It wouldn’t bother me half as much if the new show ROH show hadn’t started out with such promise, only to end up going to shit. You can tell by watching from the first set of TV tapings, that Tony Khan actually did care about this rebooted ROH at one point.

And then I don’t really know why, he clearly lost interest. Whether it was poor time management, an inability to delegate, the lack of a good TV deal, or maybe he just caught sight of a shiny object which distracted him…TK clearly just gave up on ROH at one point.

And hey…it’s his pet vanity project, he can do what he wants with it… but I am not paying 10 bucks a month to watch his shitty afterthought TV show, and I am not putting down 40 bucks four times a year for a PPV he can’t be bothered to book until a week before it happens.

I don’t know why he doesn’t just hand the reigns over to someone on that creative team, do an Impact style taping schedule in a smaller venue and try and make something more of it. I had visions of guys catching fire in ROH and moving to AEW with some heat behind them but that just hasn’t happened. Unless Athena comes up to beat Statlander

7 hours ago, sek69 said:

Sounds like Athena and Willow went out there and had a banger worthy of the main event spot. Looks like I need to track it down and watch it. 

You should make sure to watch all three matches in the series if you're going to go out of your way to watch the one.

But Athena's the female MVP of AEW this year so you should watch basically everything she's done anyway.

5 hours ago, sek69 said:

That actually did happen, eventually. 

4 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

It’s amazing how much quicker and more efficiently those segments move along when they don’t insist on everybody having their own independent entrance, including music.

You know that was something I noticed and ended one of the dumbest traditions in wrestling where a theme song has to play before somebody comes to the ring to speak. It makes the crowd have a legit reaction to seeing a guy.

Also Christian with the line of the night "What kind of man carries around a championship he never won" is so good.