Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - 3/6 - 3/9 - Okada is (All) Elite

Timbo Slice

41 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Well, Big Money Okato becoming champ after beating Ospreay for the belt just to feud with a returning Omega seems like the perfect route to take, assuming all pieces fall into place.

That sounds like 2025. If anything, the money program for the belt this year is gonna be Swerve vs Ospreay.

This felt like the best "reset" episode of AEW TV I've ever seen (following since mid-late 2021). A lot of good video packages, promos to either start programs or build up to next week. And even the big debut came with not only an immediate heel turn (that suits Okada perfectly btw) but also a big match set up for the future in Kenny vs Okada in U.S soil.

Plus you end the show with the tease and set up for AEW Dynasty in Danielson vs Ospreay.

Now I wonder how they handle Mercedes debut next week. Would be funny if Britt comes back to set up that match from the get go.

13 minutes ago, Jmare007 said:

That sounds like 2025. If anything, the money program for the belt this year is gonna be Swerve vs Ospreay.

Oh, of course. There is no need to rush this, it's going to be their biggest program in a while. 

Okada and Ospreay just add that much to the table, and the latter is far from my cup of tea.

AEW is an embarrassment of riches at this point.... Okada, Ospreay, Danielson, Joe, Swerve.....holy shit man.

Also I couldn't help but laugh at Darby being all "welp I might die on Everest" in his promo.

I have no word. This 1-2-3 punch over two weeks (counting next week) is just ridiculous. 

17 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

This felt like the best "reset" episode of AEW TV I've ever seen (following since mid-late 2021).

This. Been following since the start. And even before that. 

14 hours ago, sek69 said:

AEW is an embarrassment of riches at this point....

This too.

18 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Well, Big Money Okato becoming champ after beating Ospreay for the belt just to feud with a returning Omega seems like the perfect route to take, assuming all pieces fall into place.

Pretty much. Joe > Swerve > Ospreay at Wembley > Okada at the end of the year > feud with babyface Omega returning. And then, Jay White is gonna be right there. If nothing goes terribly wrong, they have all time greats feuding for a year without even having to think about it.

Remember all the "they're wasting Eddie Kingston" crying for months. Meanwhile, TK made his own G1 built around Eddie, gave Eddie his own Triple Crown, had him go over the entire BCC (and Bryan twice), and now it appears he'll be feuding with EVP Okada for the Triple Crown. 

Yeah, Kingston's story is insane. He went from basically wanting to retire because he wasn't making ends meet anymore to being a legit star in the second biggest promotion in the world, meeting some of his tape trading days heroes, feuding with Danielson on his last full time year, and now being part of Okada's debut in the company, and probably Okada's first PPV match, for some Triple Crown title. He's another case of, if only for this, AEW was worth it.

Gotta love Ospreay. First match on TV," Hey, I'm gonna make my little Aussie bruv a star."  (I'm sure somewhere some idiot is bitching about kicking out of the Os-cutter and how that has already ruined him as a main eventer though)

Also :

57e5cbdfc735a088b9438cab4ec626bcc01a3ce7

2 hours ago, El-P said:

I'm sure somewhere some idiot is bitching about kicking out of the Os-cutter and how that has already ruined him as a main eventer though

While I also expect that response is out there, the main one I have seen is all of the "WWE 4 lIfE" idiots on Twitter going... "No one knows who either of those guys are"

Then there was another post I saw where someone said "Can you believe people actually thought this guy needed to go to Florida to learn where the hard camera is?" and had video of the Okada entrance..... Then immediately a dozen different E Trolls posted some version of "In AEW he can just look for the side with no fans lolololol"

57 minutes ago, Blehschmidt said:

While I also expect that response is out there, the main one I have seen is all of the "WWE 4 lIfE" idiots on Twitter going... "No one knows who either of those guys are"

The same who would go "OMG Will Ospreay ! WWE has picked up another GOAT !".

And yeah. The idea that Ospreay or Okada would have spent some time in NXT... 

Gotta throw this out there. ROH has become a really fun and easy show to watch, with a good regular crew and nice revolving door of supporting talent. Red Velvet vs Leila Hirsch this week was really good. Enjoying guys like the Jon Cruz, who is hilarious, getting featured, and Spanish Announce Project feuding with Maria Kanellis, Dalton Castle vs Johnny TV with the Boys and Taya involved. Just lots of good stuff, really. The Mania week show should be pretty cool, with the addition of the champs who work AEW shows, Kingston, the Kingdom, Fletcher. And of course, Athena stil carrying the thing.

I've long contended that Okada is best by far as a cocky prick, so I'm looking forward to heel Okada in AEW. By the way, Tokyo Sports reported that his deal was for three years and $13.5 million. Just to give you an idea of what the pay scale is like for top stars these days.

$500k sounds awfully low for a WWE star. When Punk returned at Survivor Series, Meltzer wrote that the money for WWE headliners is well above what it was when he was there last, and HHH's verified downside in 2012 (his contract was included in WWE's SEC filing for that year) was $1 million.

With Titan and Mistico on the show last night, and the CMLL/AAA situation being what it is... I am wondering if the reason Penta ran to the ring in street clothes that totally covered him up and didn't do much, is because that wasn't Penta playing the role of Penta in that angle.

Just a thought.

Only halfway through last week's Dynamite, but had two thoughts...

- Love Swerve. Love Joe. Love Swerve vs. Joe being on the horizon. Didn't like Joe choking out Swerve without first doing something - a forearm to the back, some stomps, maybe strike him with the AEW Championship. Or, have Joe nearly apply the hold but then Swerve somehow snakes out of it using the ropes, and now Joe can be all, like, "I was this close! Next time it'll be in the center of the ring!"

Ending segments with Swerve "knocked-the-fucked-out" is just not what I would want the final image of Swerve being right now. For some babyfaces, sure, there is sympathy to draw from, but Swerve is not that sympathetic underdog babyface character. 

- At first I thought the EVP's theme music was a take on Roman Reign's. It took me a couple weeks, but now I get it - its a take on the theme from Succession. 

I've been a fan of Angelico since the days of Lucha Underground. He really never was featured much during the early days, teaming with Jack Evans (whatever happened to him after he left ?), but I've been enjoying him and Serpentico getting somewhat of a push in ROH quite a bit. Needless to say, watching him against Mistico made me happy.

Also, Jeff Jarrett being involved in a brawl which ended up with Mark Briscoe going through a flaming table is yet another one to add in the never ending list of never to be expected "Double J facts". He's easily having one of his most fun stint ever.

9 hours ago, strobogo said:

Dickhead Okada demolishing jobbers on US TV rules

Remember that people actually argued that him going to NXT was not such a bad idea because he needed to learn, ya know... And here he is doing the perfect storm squash match, getting over his key spots (which he really does not even need to at this point, but still).

I got a huge kick at the fact Okada's first opponent in AEW has been Jon Cruz, the guy who gave us the greatest Samoa Joe "steps aside" spot ever and who is just a terrific JTTS (and wrestler, really) by all accounts. Okada the dickhead is the best Okada too.