Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Logic gives me a headache

sek69

Yeah I seem to remember something about HHH pushing for a Wargames match with Evolution as a team. But instead they morphed it into the Elimination Chamber.

I don't think Vince can help himself when it comes to no-selling anything he didn't "create". I'm just glad he acknowledged the $$ he could make, instead of just burning all the various promotion's footage he's bought throughout the years.

Vince apparently hates War Games because it was a NWA/WCW idea, but "Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal" is a perfectly okay gimmick to reuse?

Really?

While I love Wargames, this got us Triple H/Regal First Blood and Hardy/Umaga in a Cage. I really can't argue, at all, with the choices made for this week's Raw.

They don't call it "Spin the Wheel, Make the deal". You know Mcmahon Logic, "Take the gimmick and make it your own."

JR did, several times in fact.

Another thing that makes my nose bleed if I think about it too much: Vince hates anything that reminds him of 80s (read: NWA) wrestling, but pretty much all the key players of that era work for the company now in some capacity.

I would be completely shocked if Vince McMahon or anyone involved with the creative process in WCW has a clue that "Spin The Wheel, Make The Deal" ever existed. Maybe Michael Hayes or Dusty Rhodes, but they have nothing to do with writing for RAW.

Remember that the Raw Roulette gimmick was first used over 5 years ago, a few months after Eric Bischoff became Raw GM, so whomever came up with the idea originally would have been involved in the creative process then.

Ross was WCW's lead broadcaster when they first used the concept.

When did it come out that Vince hates 80s NWA? He gave Ric Flair the World title, he gave Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard the tag team titles in 1989. Ricky Steamboat worked for the promotion in a prominent role for four years. Is this anything with merit or just another talking point to bash Vince?

The problem with Wargames is that it needs two rings. WWE has never done that. Honestly, I think it fouls up the rest of the card.

I think it's just assumed that Vince's hatred of 80s wrestling means NWA. Just off the top of my head in recent years he hasn't let Flair cut his normal promos due to feeling the style is passe, didn't want Kennedy using the last name Anderson because it reminded him too much of 80s wrestling, doesn't like the announcers using the term "wrestling", had that period where they couldn't call the belts "belts" or "straps", etc.

Ross also has not been part of the creative process since 1995.

Come on, do you REALLY think they were trying to find a way to rip off WCW's idea when they came up with this?

Honestly, all I think was that Ross remembered the phrase, felt it was catchy, and used it. I don't read much into it.

"Raw roulette" though has been used three or four times now. I really doubt Vince has an immense hatred of WCW to the point where he will refuse any idea. He will like some ideas and dislike others.

There was a house show run in 1998 that I attended where they ran what was functionally a WarGames match between DX and the Nation. It was only one ring, allowed pinfalls, and was never advertised with the term "WarGames", but it was basically the same thing. And bear in mind that this was while WCW still existed as a viable competitor. I don't know if that's indicative of anything, just figured I'd mention it.

Ross also has not been part of the creative process since 1995.

Come on, do you REALLY think they were trying to find a way to rip off WCW's idea when they came up with this?

I don't think they had and conscious effort to rip off WCW. I just felt it humorously ironic that they shit on the idea of a War Games match, but will occasionally build a while episode of RAW the concept that was arguably the most WCW (in both a good and bad context) thing ever.

I mean there was an article in WWE mag a while back that buried the War Games match as confusing, so it's probably safe to say that Vince isn't fond of the idea. Hell, didn't Hunter try to convince them to do one and even HE got turned down?

They gladly give up plenty of seating room to build their elaborate sets at PPV and TV tapings, so I'm not sure that's completely it.

Not so much. Generally they take up space usually involves the stage area at arenas, and the unused seats are low-priced seats at the peripherals or the seating area. We're talking dozens of square feet of floor space.

They're still cutting off attendance by as much as a third in some arenas, which is why they've actually done better attendance-wise on house shows instead of TV tapings and PPVs, because they are selling out the entire arena, instead of just a large portion of it (although they draw more money at the gate with higher ticket prices at TV and PPV).

They're still cutting off attendance by as much as a third in some arenas, which is why they've actually done better attendance-wise on house shows instead of TV tapings and PPVs, because they are selling out the entire arena, instead of just a large portion of it (although they draw more money at the gate with higher ticket prices at TV and PPV).

Here's the seating chart from the local arena, where I just caught Smackdown yesterday. You can choose WWE and compare it to what they use for other events (such as hockey, concerts or ice shows). I think a third is being generous in any instance. In this case they cut off 5-6 sections of bad seats and they can't use the bleacher seating in the second level (that's not a big loss).

I think we'd recognize that given WWE's setup, they need to cut off some seating. Obviously there is a limit. There is also a difference between say, second level at the end of the arena, and floor seats which go for much higher prices.

When Armageddon was here in Pittsburgh, the staging was frigging huge and took up a hell of a lot of seats. Mellon Arena set up for wrestling with the usual Titan Tron/rampway set up seats about 15,000. I think they had probably 12,000 at Armageddon due to the stage setup.