Pro Wrestling Only

Stand-ins used in wrestling

Loss

From today's WON:

--In the Smackdown spoilers, the wrestler doing a run-in identified as Beth Phoenix was actually Nattie Neidhart, who debuts on tomorrow night's show. The two look similar, which was one of the reasons there was a question of bringing her up right now because of the idea one Beth Phoenix is good, but two of them makes Beth Phoenix less special. Neidhart has a lot of experience since he's been working since her teens and was by far the best of the women wrestlers in developmental.

So WWE used Nattie Neidhart as a fake Beth Phoenix.

I know of a case in Memphis where they used a fake Jimmy Hart at ringside in a LLT match when he had already bolted to the WWF.

Are there any other cases of stand-ins used where they tried to pass it off as the real thing?

I should also clarify that I am not referring to angles, like the fake Sting and the fake Undertaker, or DDP dressing up as La Parka. I'm referring to cases where the promotion attempted to pass off the person as someone when it was actually something else.

I guess there was WCW billing Atlantis at Lizmark.

I'm not clear on the full details of the Tommy H./Jimmy Hart deal.

I've read that Hart was already suspended to some degree/barred from ringside after pouring flour on Lance Russell's head. Was Tommy H. on TV before the Coliseum card?

Guest onlxn

Seriously, though, did the WWF *never* use a Warrior stand-in? I saw a Superstars segment a year or two back where the Warrior ran in on an Undertaker interview, and it really, really didn't look like Hellwig...

Didn't they have someone else play Octagon a couple of times in AAA? I remember hearing that somewhere, but can't remember where.

They definitely used Winners Dos as a stand-in Abismo Negro.

I guess that Pentagon Black as Sasuke the Great when STG needed to team w/ Masao Orihara (who normally played the gimmick) might count.

Guest LShunter

It may seem a bit obvious, but would the several hundred different Doinks count?

Kim Chee would also fall into this category too.

Guest culotron

Lucha does this all the tim. Especially with Mistico since he has about 2-3 matches a day. And like Bix Said, AAA ran a angle last year using a fake Aibsmo Negro because the real one was in Rehab.

Makes sense. They hire a bunch of wrestlers with a similar style and look to mistico. I could see Astro Boy or Flash usurping him on low end shows.

That's an angle.

I was thinking more of cases where they had unmasked wrestlers pretending to be other unmasked wrestlers, but maybe cases like that haven't really existed.

Like announcers referring to someone as Barry Windham throughout a match in an attempt to fool an audience into thinking it's him, when it's actually Dan Spivey in the ring.

I guess those are few and far between.

Guest KÄSE

I'm stunned there hasn't been a single mention of Rick Bogner & Glen Jacobs as the fake Razor Ramon & Diesel.

The classical case, much writing has been done about it on the internets - maybe too much considering the silliness of the subject. But I always thought the standard argument that "Vince tried to separate gimmicks from the wrestlers who played them and failed" is kind of misleading. Wrestling characters are different from wrestling gimmicks, in that a "character" is the package of a certain wrestler doing a certain gimmick.

Think of the Bond franchise. Pierce Brosnan isn't a stand-in for the James Bond character, or a "fake James Bond" compared to say Sean Connery or George Lazenby. He's just doing a "Pierce Brosnan's James Bond" character, which is different from the "Sean Connery's James Bond" character, even though they are both doing the James Bond gimmick. Similarly, what Daniel Craig is now doing with the gimmick is drastically different from the "Roger Moore's James Bond" character and this fact is all-but-explicitly acknowledged even in kayfabe, yet it goes over really well with an audience arguably a lot more sophisticated than the wrestling audience.

There are a lof of stand-ins in wrestling in this sense. JBL is doing a modified Million Dollar Man gimmick, which itself is essentially the original Mr. McMahon gimmick. Any number of wrestlers from Mutoh to CM Punk to Akira Hokuto have done a Great Kabuki gimmick. Umaga is a nearly verbatim Kamala. The only problem with the fake Razor & Diesel angle was that the gimmicks themselves were pretty bad to begin with, and Bogner and Jacobs are/were horrible professional wrestlers.

Actually I'm fairly certain the fake Razor/Diesel gimmicks happened because they had a relationship with AAA at the time. Vince saw how they put different people in gimmicks when the originals leave and decided to try it.

Also they had to show they were still using the characters after Hall and Nash left due to the lawsuit that was pending.