Pro Wrestling Only

WCW On Going Thread

Tim Cooke

Can anyone shed some light on John Muse?

04/30/01 WON - "Speaking of Bischoff, if he had been able to acquire WCW as was expected, besides Rob Van Dam and Don Callis, who have admitted being pretty close to deals but told to keep it quiet, I believe Joey Styles was also under consideration as an announcer and John Muse was going to be given the job of head booker of the cruiserweight division, which would have been kept largely seperate."

Can anyone shed some light on John Muse?

04/30/01 WON - "Speaking of Bischoff, if he had been able to acquire WCW as was expected, besides Rob Van Dam and Don Callis, who have admitted being pretty close to deals but told to keep it quiet, I believe Joey Styles was also under consideration as an announcer and John Muse was going to be given the job of head booker of the cruiserweight division, which would have been kept largely seperate."

See this topic:

http://wrestlingclassics.com/cgi-bin/.ubbc...f=9;t=009660;p=

He was also a writer for the Torch in the early 1990s.

I believe Muse broke into the business with Al Snow back in the day and booked Great Lakes Wrestling in the mid-late 90s. For a guy who was basically a mark entering the business, he was very well-liked. No doubt Meltz recommended him to Bischoff, but it's possible he wasn't the only one recommending him too.

• 3 weeks later...

I've always suspected that the Apocalypse rumor was something Scott Keith perpetuated and there was nothing to it, but I could be wrong about that. The idea of a Benoit/Eddy/Regal/Malenko main event faction in 1997 seems SKeithy more than it sounds like a WCW idea.

Everything I've read about the Apocalypse rumor is that it was something that was tossed around as an idea for like 2 seconds, and somehow (as in being repeated as fact in SKeith rants constantly) it became something that was set in stone only to be snatched away at the last second.

Also, I'm watching Bash at the Beach 2000 on 24/7 and I think it's quite possibly the most WCW-ish show ever. You have Madden being annoying, bad Russo gimmicks, SHOOTING~!, highspot filled cruiserweight matches, and Tony being perplexed in ways Mike Tenay can only dream of being on Impact.

And Norman Smiley. And RALPHUS.

Really, you don't get more WCW than that.

In Jericho's book he talks about Pillman in ECW having the idea he had been pitching to WCW, if he went back to WCW, of having a faction called The Horsemen of the Apocalypse or the Generation X Horsemen that would be Pillman, Eddy, Benoit, and Jericho. They'd have crossed their forearms in an "X" while doing the four fingers.

Everything I've read about the Apocalypse rumor is that it was something that was tossed around as an idea for like 2 seconds, and somehow (as in being repeated as fact in SKeith rants constantly) it became something that was set in stone only to be snatched away at the last second.

Also, I'm watching Bash at the Beach 2000 on 24/7 and I think it's quite possibly the most WCW-ish show ever. You have Madden being annoying, bad Russo gimmicks, SHOOTING~!, highspot filled cruiserweight matches, and Tony being perplexed in ways Mike Tenay can only dream of being on Impact.

I can't believe you didn't mention the KISS Demon.

The funny part about the KISS Demon was that he got pops for his entrance and mannerism, thanks to Dale Torborg being a huge KISS fan, and they jobbed him out purely to spite Gene Simmons and company for forcing WCW to live up to the terms of the deal he agreed to.

Not that I think the Demon would have been a top draw at any point, but give him some midcard wins and he might have been somebody you can use to elevate people. Instead, it's the usual WCW shenanigans and then Russo returns to have Demon do goofy stuff with Vampiro and ICP.

Yeah I was kind of lumping in the Demon with "bad Russo gimmicks" but he really does need a special mention. What killed me about that gimmick wasn't the typical WCW ass-backwardsness of making a deal then having to be forced to honor it, but was how they would constantly remind the viewers that it was just Dale Torborg: Random Dude in the Demon costume. They couldn't even let it stand as its own character.

I always wondered, how much SHOOT~! was the Russo/Hogan deal? It seems like everyone was aware of the general idea but not that Russo would go as far in his promo as he did.

I recall some type of alliance being teased between Jarret, Wright and Guerrero after Jarrett got booted from the Horsemen. Was that being thought of or did i have too much beer on monday nights?