Pro Wrestling Only

Oh, Hulk ...

Loss

From Lords of Paste:

In an interview with the Los Angeles Times, Hulk Hogan reveals that he was asked to play the lead character in The Wrestler. Hogan claims he was sent the script and considered for the part of Randy "The Ram" Robinson. He read it a few times when it crossed his agent's desk, but passed on the movie. Nonetheless, Hogan believes Mickey Rourke did a great job in the film.

"The movie got made and they cast Mickey Rourke," Hogan said. "I thought he did a great job."

While Hogan was complimentary of Rourke, he wishes Rourke could have had 30 years of wrestling experience to tell a more accurate story.

"I don't think the public could have handled it, though," Hogan told the Los Angeles Times. "Just made me realize after seeing the movie with Mickey Rourke that if someone does the real Hulk Hogan movie, you better hang on for the ride, brother."

In his eyes, Hogan believes the whole movie is shock value. He fears the public perception of professional wrestling will be tainted by the film's view of the business.

"Made me realize how shock value - that just the drop of reality - can have an effect on the public," Hogan said. "It was wrestling light. Very light version of wrestling."

When talking about blading, Hogan said there are wrestlers who blade 25 to 30 times per week. He also said he has friends who do staple gun matches similar to the one in The Wrestler 300 nights per year.

When asked if Rourke should accept WWE's offer to make an appearance at WrestleMania and cross-promote the movie, Hogan said the actor should be careful based on his own experience.

"You don't want to jade your performance or have the Hollywood community look at you like, 'you sold out,'" Hogan said.

Hogan also said he talked to Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson about distancing himself from professional wrestling if wanted to be a successful actor. Hogan said he was held back in Hollywood, doing B-movies because he kept going back to wrestling. As a result, the Hollywood community didn't accept him.

Hulk Hogan has done some amazing radio interviews in his time. This reads as one of the best.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be interesting to search for wrestlers who did double shots and bladed each time. I wonder if thats even possible to do for over a week

The only thing I can think of that could make that bit remotely close to true would be someone like Abdullah, when he was wrestling regularly, IF you count each time he took the blade to his head trying to open himself up. He would go palm-to-forhead after every punch his opponent threw. I remember a couple of Brody bouts where this was particularly noticable.

(Can you imagine having a blade taped in the palm of your hand? That's nuts, IMO..you forget it's there and you cut yourself, your opponent, and anyone that wants to shake hands...)

From what I saw, he would blade himself dozens of times in a single match. He probably had no choice because it would have taken several cuts to get through all that scar tissue. So 25-30 shots with the blade in a single week, in Abby's case, when he was wrestling regularly, is probably correct and even a bit on the low end.

Overall, this is an epic LOL just designed to throw it out there that he wants his life story done in movie form. Good luck with that one, hulkie...

(Can you imagine having a blade taped in the palm of your hand? That's nuts, IMO..you forget it's there and you cut yourself, your opponent, and anyone that wants to shake hands...)

Didn't Kerry do exactly this before his Superclash III match with Lawler?

You know what would be great? If we all used this thread to make up our own Hogan lies, i.e. things he never actually said, but that are bullshit enough that they sound like things he would say. Here, I'll go first.

Vince McMahon wanted to bring back Hogan in '96 and give him the Stone Cold gimmick. Hulk turned it down because he didn't want Nick and Brooke to hear him say "ass" on TV.

There, how was that?

Vince McMahon wanted to bring back Hogan in '96 and give him the Stone Cold gimmick. Hulk turned it down because he refused to shave his head.

Fixed. What strands he still has are more valuable to him than any amount of dignity. Thus him being pissed at Russo for calling him "bald", but not "sunuvabich".

I would open up a new thread for it.

When Vince the Elder wanted to market Hogan as an Irish Hogan declined because it would have restricted his mainstream appeal and it was unrealistic as Hogan was way too awesome to be a low Irishman. Everybody but Vince did agree with Hogans brilliant idea of billing him "From Planet Krypton". The plans were subsequently shelved as Hogan was booked to win against Fujinami, Inoki and Choshu in a handicap shoot match.

Hogan thinks iMcMahons cancer was responsible for him declining Hulks brilliant idea He died the next day.

Guest LShunter

Back in the summer of 2002 when they were both working on the Smackdown brand, Hulk Hogan got into a shoot fight in the locker room with Brock Lesnar. He was a strong guy, brother, but the Hulkster caught him with a knee bar and forced him to tap out in front of the boys. Brock was so humiliated he quit the company a couple of weeks later to try and make it in the NFL.

On the night of the Fingerpoke, nobody knew if Kevin Nash was actually willing to do the job or not. Unfortunately for him, he didn't realize that the Hulkster had studied Jeet Kun Do with Bruce Lee himself. Hogan delivered a thrust strike to Nash's solar plexus so hard that it knocked the giant off his feet. Nash played along afterwards, pretending that was the idea all along in order to keep his street cred in the locker room.

One of the funniest parts of that interview was omitted. Hulk Hogan now wants to be the person who finally sets up a union for the wrestlers to get them benefits like insurance and profit sharing (conveniently forgetting to tell the interviewer that he was the one who sabotaged the last attempt to set up a union in wrestling). What's the odds that Hogan conveniently forgets this pledge when he gets his next pay cheque from Vince McMahon?

Hogan's ratting out of Jesse Ventura about forming a union was because Jesse was originally supposed to have a larger role in No Holds Barred but went into business for himself when taking the role in The Predator. Given that Jesse should have turned down the role and done a movie projection for Vince first, Hogan ratted him out for the good of the business.

Also, Hogan was originally offered the role Jesse got in The Running Man but turned it down because Vince had tons of money put into Suburban Commando.

Hogan's ratting out of Jesse Ventura about forming a union was because Jesse was originally supposed to have a larger role in No Holds Barred but went into business for himself when taking the role in The Predator. Given that Jesse should have turned down the role and done a movie projection for Vince first, Hogan ratted him out for the good of the business.

Also, Hogan was originally offered the role Jesse got in The Running Man but turned it down because Vince had tons of money put into Suburban Commando.

Release Dates

06/87 Predator

06/89 No Holds Barred

11/87 The Running Man

10/91 Suburban Commando

Perfect Hulk-style timeline. :)

John

• 1 month later...

April 15, 2009 --

HULK Hogan is sounding homicidal over the way his wife Linda dumped him, forced him out of his $18 million mansion, allegedly started spending his money at the rate of $40,000 a month and dating "some shaggy-haired pool boy 30 years her junior," Rolling Stone reports. "I could have turned everything into a crime scene, like OJ, cutting everybody's throat," he told the magazine. "You live half a mile from the 20,000-square-foot home you can't go to anymore, you're driving through downtown Clearwater and see a 19-year-old boy driving your Escalade, and you know that a 19-year-old boy is sleeping in your bed, with your wife . . . I totally understand OJ. I get it." He and Linda are battling it out in a Florida divorce court, where Linda's attorney claims she's entitled to use the car and that Hogan's claims against her are merely an attempt to control her love life.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04152009/gossi...e_oj_164506.htm