Pro Wrestling Only

Bryan Alvarez

Eduardo

It's increasingly obvious that Dave is growing tired of pro wrestling and all of the sleaze, scandal, and tragedy that goes along with it. Reading the WON these days makes it seem that he feels some kind of obligation to continue to cover it, but his heart doesn't seem as into it as it once was.

Bryan just seems like a dude who picked the right guy to hitch his wagon to, and now he's the heir apparent to the WON franchise.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, but it just seems like there are very few people out there in that middle ground who can call Dave on mistakes without getting pissy about it or acting holier than thou. As for Bryan, his audio shows are highly entertaining, at least in my opinion. The newsletter is what he did first and I suppose what he considers his bread and butter, but he's not the one going around calling himself the #2 heir apparent. Just let him do his job and if he does it poorer than you'd like, you don't need to read his stuff.

How does Dave always seem to get attached with people that don't seem too bright when it comes to wrestling analysis? Is he like a version of Vince McMahon, where he has to surround himself with people that agree with everything he says without ever being challenged? Look at all the people that have written for the site over the years. There's no original thought anywhere. How did he think that Ben Miller was worthy of a column in the Observer? I remember chatting regularly with Todd Martin about ten years ago on AOL IM's, and he's a nice and smart guy, but his reviews could easily be written by Meltzer. Everyone around Dave is like that. Alvarez is horrible. That he would throw out Dave's 5-star ratings for Misawa's matches as some sort of objective statistic with no reference is typical of people associated with Dave.

I say this as a huge Meltzer fan. I don't know what I would do with myself if he ever stopped covering wrestling. But I don't think he's ever attached himself with someone who can offer an original take. I don't know if that's a character flaw on his part or if people are overwhelmed by his presence. At least Wade Keller was willing to disagree with Dave back when the Torch was tiny and he was a nobody.

I just find it hilarious that this blow up all started over Mike Tenay. I mean he's went from being the resident WCW lucha nerd to making Sam the Eagle faces during SERIOUS MOMENTS on TNA shows. A lot of it is Shiavone Syndrome (good announcer forced to sell a crap product resulting in the announcer no longer giving a shit), but it sticks out that Meltzer largely gives him a pass when he would call out almost anyone else in the same position. He barely can hold his contempt for WWE announcers doing a lot of the same things, the only WWE guy he gives a pass to is Cole for being in the "get yelled at by Vince on live TV" seat.

So you are the faction of guys who've read dirtsheets for so long that you think you know more than Dave and Bryan? Therefore, you need to have a little corner of the wrestling internet all to yourselves to laugh about how much cooler you are then them. Ok then.

I'm just saying that if Dave makes so many mistakes and has such obvious biases, and if Bryan's only ability as a wrestling writer is that he's "Dave-Approved", just ignore both of them. You all obviously have enough knowledge and connections between the lot of you that you don't need to have anything to do with any of them.

You can criticize something or someone and still like it or that person a lot.

Dave is great. Bryan I see differently, but even he has his strengths. It's just that for all the criticism they always give about people in pro wrestling living in a bubble afraid to listen to people who disagree with them, they're the exact same way.

Guest jonnymudd

Alvarez also totally took a shot at our man Bix on the latest free Bryan & Vinny show. Which is aggravating, cuz I like Alvarez, so for him to call out one of my e-brethren fills my soul with ambiguity.

Here's a suggestion, why don't you just not listen if it annoy you so? I mean, that IS what an even semi-intelligent person would do.

Would he not?

Jonny Mudd - because I can...

Guest jonnymudd

Maybe Dave is losing his eyesight and thought my F4W name was JDW Express.

I tend to think Dave knows who you are and who I am. The Ring of Hell comment would support that. He probably would toss something else at me.

John

What your really not getting is that Dave Meltzer doesn't have internet enemies. He's a grown adult male with a life. Something I hope you grow to undersand.

Jonny Mudd - because sometimes it's better just to walk away

Here's a suggestion, why don't you just not listen if it annoy you so? I mean, that IS what an even semi-intelligent person would do.

I question your classification of yourself as "even semi-intelligent", considering you missed this part

cuz I like Alvarez

in the exact same fucking post that you just quoted.

What your really not getting is that Dave Meltzer doesn't have internet enemies. He's a grown adult male with a life. Something I hope you grow to undersand.

Hey, what a coincedence, there's something I hope you understand! That being, JDW knows Meltzer in real life. Has known him for years. Went on at least one trip to Japan with him to see the rassling over there. Knows way more about Dave than you ever will.

Don't just show up on a new board and start lecturing the regulars on how they're all wrong when you don't know a damn thing about any of them, kid.

So JDW knows Dave, and Bix does as well. How about having your arguments one on one with the man instead of spreading your inane beef all around their websites. Unless the whole point of this is to tell stale jokes and have your buddies laugh with you. As an outsider, which the majority of his readers are, it seems sooooooooooo petty for you to bring up this inside references as to why Dave isn't living up to your standards.

Why are most of Dave's readers "outsiders"? I mean, seriously, can they not walk down the street without people pointing at them and saying, "Wow, what a loner!" I would say the only time wrestling fans are made outsiders are when they go all out, like wearing wrestler t-shirts everywhere, screaming out catchphrases that no one would understand (like inserting your name into the whole "Kennedy......Kennedy" deal"), and just acting like a mongoloid in general, discussing last night's RAW with people that could give two shits. I would say most guys on the internet in general have friends, have/have had girlfriends/wives/partners, and can hold a conversation without giving bullet points on Konnan's career. But that's just me, what the fuck do I know, I got banned from DVDVR for not knowing which Tiger Mask Misawa was, so maybe most of us really are shut-ins.

So you are the faction of guys who've read dirtsheets for so long that you think you know more than Dave and Bryan? Therefore, you need to have a little corner of the wrestling internet all to yourselves to laugh about how much cooler you are then them. Ok then.

That is really narrow minded. Wrestling (journalism) is not as easy as you think, and Meltzer is not the top of the wrestling knowledge pyramid. You have to know and admit that Meltzer is not omnicient - of course nobody could ever be. Wrestling is not all about your youths favorite territory or what is on national TV right now. If you want to be like BAHU and want to be the best FMW source you need to know about the Florida ~1990 promotions, luchadores and the beginnings of the Japanese independent scene.

If you read Karl Sterns, Wrestling as we knew it and all those other old school newsletters you probably know more than Dave Meltzer in that area.

If you have read a topic for 5 minutes on a UK pro wrestling board about the local wrestling history you probably know more than Dave Meltzer. "Lou Thesz/*insert US idol* said that...." is not really deep knowledge.

Ditto for Lucha Libre

Looking at the independent coverage prior to 2000 its laughable how far that area has regressed.

So you have all those possible fields of expertise. Do I expect Meltzer to know about all those things? No, though I will probably never stop to hope for it. Yet I have to admit to be disappointed to a certain degree. But it not that the other experts know everything. I think I realized that it's unreasonable to expect a single wrestling fan to know about everything when I read more about European history. Reading the opinions of older Euro experts it was plain to see that they didn't know too much about the contemporary US territories and corresponding careers of "their" wrestlers. And I couldn't find fault.

There is no IWC god, only certain experts on certain topics

Guest KyleWilder

The news sites all blow and they're not worth spending money on. Everybody has their own bias towards certain groups and people. While Dave may be biased towards certain people and MMA, the other sites are on bed with TNA, ROH or whoever else that is not WWE.

The news sites all blow and they're not worth spending money on. Everybody has their own bias towards certain groups and people. While Dave may be biased towards certain people and MMA, the other sites are on bed with TNA, ROH or whoever else that is not WWE.

Dave was absolutely in the tank for ROH when Gabe was booking. Actually it was more Gabe being smart enough to realize most of the ROH fanbase would be WON readers or at least be aware of its existence, and using that to his advantage. It was also the first time I realized that Dave has a tendency to turn a blind eye to things involving his sources. Also him not really getting on Foley for being nearly as blatant about going to TNA for a pure paycheck grab as Kevin Nash. I don't know if Foley's a source per se, but he's definitely a Friend of Dave, and as such his TNA run (including another rehash of the tired commissioner role and a run with the promotion's top belt) has largely escaped the wrath most over the hill wrestlers using a promotion to masturbate with would be getting.

In fact, I can't imagine anyone else getting a pass on the "quits a cushy announcer gig in WWE because Vince is a meanie" deal either. In fact, in his rush to justify Foley quitting rather than put up with it had the unintended consequence of making Foley look like a giant pussy who couldn't handle the same stuff guys like JR and Michael Cole deal with all the time.

Besides, there really aren't any "other sites" when it comes to wrestling anymore. There's the WON, the Torch, and pretty much everyone else just cut-and-pastes from one of them.

Guest jonnymudd

I question your classification of yourself as "even semi-intelligent", considering you missed this part

cuz I like Alvarez

in the exact same fucking post that you just quoted.

Hey, what a coincedence, there's something I hope you understand! That being, JDW knows Meltzer in real life. Has known him for years. Went on at least one trip to Japan with him to see the rassling over there. Knows way more about Dave than you ever will.

Don't just show up on a new board and start lecturing the regulars on how they're all wrong when you don't know a damn thing about any of them, kid.

What are you on? PLease, tell me? Firstly its not my fault that you are CLEARLY bi-polar. you like him and he annoys you. I suggest you get over that.

Secondly, I didnt say he didnt know Dave. I was responding to the dumbass post about meltzer and internet enemies. Clearly. I mean, its fucking right there in front of your very eye you brain dead fuck-wit. Meltzer may hate him in real life, love him, i dont give a shit. Fact is, if people seriously thinks that Meltzer sits around giving two flying fucks about 'internet enemies' then you're very very much mistaken. It suits Bix to think that he does.

And Bix, btw, that cunt post you start over on the Board, it wasn't actually funny. you continually said 'that was a JOKE' about certain things that you said. because you realised you had fucked up. But none of them were remotely funny. The Board has a sense of humour but CLEARLY you are devoid of such a personality trait.

Grow the fuck up man. all three of yas.

What are you on? PLease, tell me? Firstly its not my fault that you are CLEARLY bi-polar.

Oh, I'm sorry doctor, I didn't mean to second-guess your judgement. ...You are a doctor, right? Because otherwise, you'd be totally talking out of your ass with such a specific psychological diagnosis. And you must be the best damn shrink in the entire world, to be able to clearly define my particular affliction from a single post on a message board. Tell me doctor, is it Type I or Type II Bipolar Disorder? It's a good thing that you're such a world-class physician, or else you'd look like a moron throwing around childish insults right now.

you like him and he annoys you. I suggest you get over that.

Do you have any reading comprehension skills whatsoever? Please refer back to the actual post you are inaccurately repeating:

Alvarez also totally took a shot at our man Bix on the latest free Bryan & Vinny show. Which is aggravating, cuz I like Alvarez, so for him to call out one of my e-brethren fills my soul with ambiguity.

The word "annoy" is never once used in that statement. The meaning is so clear as to be transparent. "I like Alvarez, and I like Bix, and it's not fun when two people you like get in a fight." How can you possibly miss that?

Secondly, I didnt say he didnt know Dave. I was responding to the dumbass post about meltzer and internet enemies. ...Meltzer may hate him in real life, love him, i dont give a shit. Fact is, if people seriously thinks that Meltzer sits around giving two flying fucks about 'internet enemies' then you're very very much mistaken. It suits Bix to think that he does.

Hey kids, it's time to play Quote The Words So He Can't Backtrack From Them!

Maybe Dave is losing his eyesight and thought my F4W name was JDW Express.

I tend to think Dave knows who you are and who I am. The Ring of Hell comment would support that. He probably would toss something else at me.

John

Jonny Mudd - because sometimes it's better just to walk away

Right there, you are explicitly telling someone who knows Dave better than you... that he doesn't know Dave better than you. He never once mentioned "internet enemies". Dave and JDW knew each other before the Internet even friggin' existed. Bix isn't just Some Guy On The Internet either, he's also been around forever and Meltzer knows exactly who he is too. These aren't "internet enemies" when you've actually met them in person, know their full real names, so forth and so on. You're making up talking points which simply aren't present here. And clearly Dave does care about Bix since he, y'know, took the time to actually talk about him on a public forum. You don't acknowledge the existence and views of people you're apathetic towards.

I mean, its fucking right there in front of your very eye you brain dead fuck-wit.

Firstly, my tested IQ score comes out to 150 the last time it was checked, so you're factually incorrect. Secondly, as an example of hyperbole acting as perjorative, your attack was very poor. Do you hang around the Gamefaqs forums and Youtube comments sections a lot? Because your insults have the same amateurish ring of someone who's new to calling someone else names over the internet. Crack open a book sometime and learn some insults which originate above a fourth-grade reading level, you pathetic priapric pud-pulling pissant.

And Bix, btw, that cunt post you start over on the Board, it wasn't actually funny. you continually said 'that was a JOKE' about certain things that you said. because you realised you had fucked up. But none of them were remotely funny. The Board has a sense of humour but CLEARLY you are devoid of such a personality trait.

I was just gonna say "Bix can defend himself here", but I noticed that one part. You're trying to defend The Board? A wretched hive of scum and villainy which is so legendarily awful that Alvarez himself consistently goes out of his way to bash it and the vast majority of the people on it?

Grow the fuck up man. all three of yas.

You first, son.

Guest jonnymudd

You've known Dave for years, both as a friend and OMG INTERNET ENEMY. Even at your "worst" at WC and the like, his most heated rebuttals were incredibly tame compared to what he said to me. What the hell happened?

ahem.

Ill accept a written apology. Cock.

Jingus, far from me to get involved in a silly fight, but you do realize stating your IQ score isn't an effective strategy to counter someone's rather idiotic argument?

Over on the Real TSM, I come across as a moron at times, and I have a 160 IQ last I checked.

That said, Mudd, shut the fuck up. You're way out of your element here.

I'll also accept you learning how to type a simple fucking sentence without a horde of errors in spelling, grammar, punctuation, and general fact checking. At this point that seems about as likely as my apology. Bix was obviously making a joke. I pity your inability to discern what someone means by reading their unsubtle words.

What is your purpose here, exactly? You log onto a board and instantly start hurling around insults at total strangers in your very first posts? Those are the actions of a troll, and trolls are not welcome on this board.

Jingus, far from me to get involved in a silly fight, but you do realize stating your IQ score isn't an effective strategy to counter someone's rather idiotic argument?

Over on the Real TSM, I come across as a moron at times, and I have a 160 IQ last I checked.

It was a piece of gratuitous thoroughly gratuitous throwaway snark, sure. Our dear friend Jonny Mudd (spelled wrong cuz illiteracy is kewl!) just punched enough buttons that I not only fired phasers and photon torpedos, but was hurling random pieces of furniture out the airlock at him as well.

Guest jonnymudd

That said, Mudd, shut the fuck up. You're way out of your element here.

No. really, i'm not.

Let me tell you who i am. I'm the greatest single Boarder in the history of the internet. Fact. Bix is a dick. Even his biggest supporters have to agree with that. This board is ok, ive been watching, waiting. But such anger and frustation just because you can't get laid. Seriously guys. Just admit that Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez are better than you, and we can all just move on. Bix didnt MEAN to start a war, but he did. And now he hasn't the balls to stand up and be counted. Biggest cunt ever. And ive seen some cunts before. Unlike 90 per cent of this board.

Guest jonnymudd

I'll also accept you learning how to type a simple fucking sentence without a horde of errors in spelling, grammar, punctuation, and general fact checking. At this point that seems about as likely as my apology. Bix was obviously making a joke. I pity your inability to discern what someone means by reading their unsubtle words.

What is your purpose here, exactly? You log onto a board and instantly start hurling around insults at total strangers in your very first posts? Those are the actions of a troll, and trolls are not welcome on this board.

It was a piece of gratuitous thoroughly gratuitous throwaway snark, sure. Our dear friend Jonny Mudd (spelled wrong cuz illiteracy is kewl!) just punched enough buttons that I not only fired phasers and photon torpedos, but was hurling random pieces of furniture out the airlock at him as well.

Excuse me? What is spelt wrong? Jonny is correct and Mudd is correct. Common surname mate. Check it.

Fact is, Bix CAN'T joke because he is an idiot. I honestly don't feel that that is trolling to point out a troll faggot like that. Bix honestly does feel that Meltzer hated him and was harsh to him. Because BIX takes things personally.

I don't hate Bix btw. But he can't admit that he's wrong. Fact.