Pro Wrestling Only

WWE "Rise And Fall Of WCW" DVD

Marty

If memory serves, there are only two rehashings of matches here (Hogan-Flair and Flair-Steamer Chi-Town). Wasn't surprised that Ted Turner and Bill Shaw turned down being interviewed, but was a little surprised that Bischoff turned things down, but Goldberg apparently got interviewed. Gotta figure the "Lost in Cleveland" footage is intended as a rib on Foley.

http://www.silvervision.co.uk/products/The...VD-3-Discs.html

Disc 1

Jim Crockett Promotions

Georgia Championship Wrestling

Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling

Black Saturday

The Expansion

Crockett Sells to Turner

Greatest Talent in the World

New Management

Bill Watts Era

Bill Shaw Hires Eric Bischoff

Hulk Hogan Arrives

Nitro Debuts

nWo

Cruiserweights

Goldberg

WCW Ratings Champ

Celebrities

Goldberg vs. Hogan

Mistakes Begin

Vince Russo

A Corporate Merger

McMahon buys WCW

Legacy of WCW

Bonus Features

• Lost in Cleveland

• Bill Watts Defends Himself

• Spam Man

• The Origin of Goldberg

• Bischoff Gives Away RAW Results

Disc 2

$1,000 Challenge Match

Ric Flair vs. Magnum T.A.

NWA World Championship Wrestling – June 15, 1985

Sting, Lex Luger & Barry Windham vs. Ric Flair, Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard (w/ JJ Dillon)

The Main Event – April 3, 1988

United States Championship Match

Dusty Rhodes vs. Barry Windham

Great American Bash – July 10, 1988

NWA World Heavyweight Championship Match

Ric Flair vs. Ricky ‘The Dragon’ Steamboat

Chi-Town Rumble – February 20, 1989

The Rock ‘n’ Roll Express vs. The Midnight Express

Wrestle War – February 25, 1990

NWA United States Tag Team Championship Match

The Midnight Express vs. The Southern Boys

Great American Bash – July 7, 1990

WCW World Tag Team Championship Match

The Steiner Brothers vs. Sting & Lex Luger

SuperBrawl – May 19, 1991

WCW World Heavyweight Championship Match

Sting vs. Big Van Vader

Great American Bash – July 12, 1992

WCW International World Heavyweight Championship Match

Rick Rude vs. Sting

Spring Stampede – April 17, 1994

Ric Flair vs. Hulk Hogan

Bash at the Beach – July 17, 1994

Disc 3

Ric Flair vs. The Giant

Nitro – April 29, 1996

WCW Cruiserweight Championship Match

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Dean Malenko

Clash of the Champions XXXIII – August 15, 1996

War Games Match

Team WCW- Sting, Lex Luger, Ric Fair & Arn Anderson vs. Team n.W.o.- Hollywood Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall & a Mystery Partner

Fall Brawl – September 15, 1996

United States Championship Ladder Match

Syxx vs. Eddie Guerrero

Souled Out – January 25, 1997

United States Championship No Disqualification Match

Eddie Guerrero vs. Dean Malenko

Uncensored – March 16, 1997

WCW Cruiserweight Championship Title vs. Mask Match

Chris Jericho vs. Juventud Guerrera

SuperBrawl VIII – February 22, 1998

WCW Unified World Tag Team Championship Match

The Steiner Brothers vs. The Outsiders

SuperBrawl VIII – February 22, 1998

Diamond Dallas Page & Karl Malone vs. Hollywood Hulk Hogan & Dennis Rodman

Bash at the Beach – July 12, 1998

Goldberg vs. Diamond Dallas Page

Halloween Havoc – October 25, 1998

Booker T vs. Lance Storm

Nitro – August 7, 2000

Artwork subject to change

Love some of the matches that are included in this. First WWE released set I'm definitely gonna but this year. First I've been sure about buying since Flair's last year, actually (still want the SNME set at some point, though). That scoudrel Goodhelmet gets all my money nowadays.

Guest Hail Sabin

Looks like a must buy from the match listings with some stuff (Lost in Cleveland, Syxx/Eddie) I am interested in seeing since both Foley and Eddie talked in their books about how much they hated that stuff.

The match selection is definitely a plus... whoever had input did well in picking them.

It certainly appears they interviewed Bill Watts, but I hope they don't gloss over the K. Allen Frey era, as there were some pretty significant developments that could have led to better things down the road had the order not come down to cut costs.

As far as the Watts era goes, that's likely to be the most interesting one to debate, given that opinions are so mixed about it.

Who knows if Goldberg was actually interviewed, but it makes sense to feature him as he was the perfect example of a fresh face who could have carried the company had WCW gotten behind him strongly rather than constantly making him second tier even after he won the WCW title. I will say this: Jim Ross was pretty fair to Goldberg on the Starrcade documentary, essentially saying what others have said all along: They should not have taken the title off Goldberg when he was still somebody people wanted to see.

Observer and F4W reported a while back that Goldberg was interviewed.

Watts was a good booker, but the "no moves off the top" rule made the promotion look boring and dated. If he wanted to teach the wrestlers to work on the mat, he could have just told them not to come off the top but not publicized it on the air. Also, the worst thing he did was the Barbarian title push. I'm sure we have some Barbarian fans here, which is fine, but nobody took him seriously, despite WCW Magazine's 10 reasons telling us why it could happen. Halloween Havoc should have been the Simmons/Vader rematch. Also that whole angle which led to Simmons winning the title would have been better had it aired on Clash XX, but part of his job was to get Omni attendance up. Also Beach Blast '92 had a really terrible match order. Look it up.

Can we all agree that WCW in '93 wasn't nearly as bad as Scooter and others always claim it was? I'm sure it was a disaster backstage, but on the air it wasn't horrible. The biggest problem from that year is that most of the undercard matches on the big shows disappoint, but I thought the main event scene was pretty solid. I may be looking at it through rose-colored glasses, however, because I was 8. :)

The reasoning for banning moves off the top was because Watts didn't feel like the top rope manuevers were as over as they should have been, so he thought by banning them, they would more over as outlaw moves. I think he was actually trying to protect top rope moves in the same way that Memphis protected the piledriver. I don't really agree with it, but I can see the logic.

Also that whole angle which led to Simmons winning the title would have been better had it aired on Clash XX, but part of his job was to get Omni attendance up.

Which is funny, considering that the Simmons title win and Jake debut was in Baltimore.

Can we all agree that WCW in '93 wasn't nearly as bad as Scooter and others always claim it was? I'm sure it was a disaster backstage, but on the air it wasn't horrible. The biggest problem from that year is that most of the undercard matches on the big shows disappoint, but I thought the main event scene was pretty solid. I may be looking at it through rose-colored glasses, however, because I was 8.

Agreed. WCW in '93 had Sting/Vader, Austin and Pillman, Barry Windham on fire, Regal coming in, and lots of excellent free TV matches. That said, it was a step down from '92, so that's probably why there was the disappointment there was.

I bet Watts did the Simmons title win at the Baltimore TV taping because:

1. It was a market where the crowds were usually hot.

2. It was a market with a large black population.

He probably figured it would get over huge live and that it would translate as being the emotional moment that he wanted. Which it did, thanks in part to the kid in the front row jumping up and down.

Watts really did a hell of a job trying to get the Simmons title reign to mean something (emotional title win in front of the hottest crowd they'd had in awhile, CNN Center press conference, etc) even if it ended up being a failure for various other reasons.

I should also add that the Disney tapings were such a turnoff to people at the time. It's odd that all these years later, Eric still thinks recording at Disney was a good idea and was part of how WCW turned the corner.

If it's true that the Disney tapings helped them with selling Worldwide in syndication and getting better sponsors, then I can see why he thinks that, though there's also the argument that it killed syndication as a viable entity for anything but a fun diversion for hardcore fans since the continuity was destroyed and then the show stopped being relevant as it stopped being related to storylines (to the point of nobody wearing belts at the tapings).

The significance of the Disney tapings is pretty overrated but I have to say passing off a successful title defense by Harlem Heat from before Slamboree '95 as them winning the titles back from the Nasty Boys was one of the dumbest things ever to air on WCW television. I was 10 years old at the time and even I knew something was fishy with that.

I should also add that the Disney tapings were such a turnoff to people at the time. It's odd that all these years later, Eric still thinks recording at Disney was a good idea and was part of how WCW turned the corner.

This is pretty much the top reason, IMO, that WCW in 1993 gets looked down upon so much. You had them switching titles several months in advance, then watched it blow up in WCW's face several times, such as the whole NWA title ordeal leading to WCW pulling out of NWA and now calling it The Big Gold Belt or the International title.

I don't think WCW 1993 was a huge letdown, but the mistakes the company made tend to really stand out. They took a hot angle with Cactus Jack and Vader and booked the follow-up entirely wrong, they introduced Paul Roma as the fourth Horseman out of the blue when people expected the Horsemen reunion to be a major happening, the Shockmaster ordeal will always be front and center and the mini movies (which actually started in 1992 under Watts) kept getting worse until we got Sting's yacht being blown up to hype a PPV.

WCW was filled with bad booking through the years, but the mistakes made in 1993 tend to be pretty big ones.

I think the plan with the top rope ban was after awhile to lift the ban and make the fans care more about top rope manuevers .

It was more to benefit the heels so they could get heat for hitting a move from the top rope behind the ref's back.

Wasn't this originally supposed to be basically a Turner vs McMahon DVD and when Ted (not surprisingly) said no we ended up with this?

I mean, if this set is covering Georgia Championship Wrestling it's hardly a WCW collection.

Rey/Malenko was on the first Rey set wasn't it? I'll be getting this and good to see some Vader matches on here.

To the best of my memory, the Mysterio-Malenko matches that were previously released on DVD were GAB 96, Nitro July 96 (Mysterio title win) and Halloween Havoc 96.

Wasn't this originally supposed to be basically a Turner vs McMahon DVD and when Ted (not surprisingly) said no we ended up with this?

I mean, if this set is covering Georgia Championship Wrestling it's hardly a WCW collection.

IMO at least GCW is a necessary part of WCW history even if it wasn't actually merged into JCP.

IMO at least GCW is a necessary part of WCW history even if it wasn't actually merged into JCP.

Particularly from the Vince McMahon mindset that "Ted Turner wants to put me out of business."

Particularly from the Vince McMahon mindset that "Ted Turner wants to put me out of business."

I wasn't even thinking of that, but yeah. "After I bought GCW and had shows on his network, Turner wanted to buy into the company but I refused so he bought tried to force me out of business."

Was Barbarian as the first challenger to Simmons' world title booked any worse than Barbarian as first challenger to Ultimate Warrior's world title?

B

Warrior's first challenger was Rude, not Barbarian. Barbarian spent most of 1990 feuding with Jimmy Snuka and the Big Boss Man.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm watching Halloween Havoc 1990, and does anyone else think 1990 WCW deserves the criticism that 1993 gets? For all the talk of how WWE likes to make wrestlers look bad in their hometowns, everyone forgets that WCW had Luger's 20-month US title reign end in Chicago, in a clean job to a really shitty-looking lariat from Stan Hansen. And the main event finish with Sid pinning Barry Windham in Sting paint was one of those things that's a good idea in theory, and WWE today probably could pull it off well, but in practice it was awkward, confusing and made both guys look like crap. Sid, the big monster heel, had no chance of winning the belt unless he got one of his buddies to tie up his opponent and pull a switcheroo with him, and Sting, the top babyface, can't beat Sid without hitting him with the belt, which curiously didn't get him disqualified. My favorite shot is the replay at the end of Sting coming back through the crowd, seeing Windham dressed like him from head to toe as part of the Horsemen's diabolical scheme, and just glancing as he passes by as though to say, "Man, that shit's wacky." Hit him! That's what Hogan would do! I'm glad I wasn't watching wrestling back then.

I'm watching Halloween Havoc 1990, and does anyone else think 1990 WCW deserves the criticism that 1993 gets?

I always thought Black Scorpion era WCW from a booking standpoint got crapped on more than WCW in 1993.