Pro Wrestling Only

The New Japan 175

goodhelmet

Posted Image Floyd's Master Plan to ruin the results (Part 3 of 15):

Disk #3:

1. Tiger Mask vs. Dynamite Kid (8/5/82)

2. Tiger Mask vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi (11/4/82)

3. Tiger Mask vs. Black Tiger (5/26/82)

4. Tiger Mask, Antonio Inoki & Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Baby Face, Dynamite Kid & Abdullah the Butcher (1/8/82)

5. Andre the Giant vs. Killer Khan (4/1/82)

6. Tiger Mask & Kengo Kimura vs. Bret Hart & Dynamite Kid (7/16/82)

7. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Hiroshi Hamaguchi (9/24/82)

8. Tiger Mask vs. Dynamite Kid (1/28/82)

9. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Dick Murdoch (7/23/82)

10. Tiger Mask vs. Bret Hart (2/5/82)

11. Tiger Mask vs. Steven Wright (4/1/82)

12. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Dick Murdoch (7/6/82)

13. Hulk Hogan vs. Abdullah the Butcher (5/26/82)

-----------------------------------------------------

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading some of the comments so far on DVDVR, it is amusing to me how much of smkelly's whining has been discredited by what people are saying. He was bitching about two of the TM v. Dynamite matches being left off, meanwhile that series has been savaged by people watching, with most people wondering why we put on as many as we did. The Black Tiger v. TM match we put on has been universally panned, I can't imagine anyone wanting to see those two lock up again. Meanwhile Rocco v. Fujinami has finish at the top of some peoples first disc ballot, and both TM v. Hamada and TM v. Wright have been widely praised.

What did you guys think of the Adonis/Fujinami match from 6/22/84, btw? IIRC it was getting pimped a fair bit a few years ago, and while I was thining about some of the more highly regarded matches that never made the set, this one popped into my head. Then again, I might have been imagining this "praise".

This is in no way a complaint, btw. Nor is it a roundabout way of bitching about something being left off. At all.

My review ...

I've seen this match rated highly elsewhere, and I'm not quite sure why. Adonis did a good job of controlling with attacks on Fujinami's sore ribs and back (though not as good as Hogan and Murdoch in the recent tag match.) Fujinami teased a comeback but missed a dropkick and crashed hard. Adonis quickly followed with a Boston crab. Good sequence. Adonis then went for the elbow off the top. Fujinami countered with a superplex, failing to sell Adonis' bodywork in either the execution or the aftermath. He rolled him up for the pin a few seconds later. I have no problem with Fujinami winning on a quick counter, but why did that counter have to crap on the story of the match? That pushed it out of nomination territory for me.

I'm in the rare minority that liked Black Tiger vs Tiger Mask I see.

I also liked the match.:-(

Ive been passing out "Support Tiger Mask Vs. Black Tiger" leaflets throughout parking lots to keep it from being the last match in the results. I call it Proposition 174.

Posted Image Floyd's Master Plan to ruin the results (Part 4 of 15):

Disk #4

#1. Tiger Mask vs. Dynamite Kid (4/21/83)

#2. Tiger Mask vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi (1/6/83)

#3. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Riki Choshu (4/3/83)

#4. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Riki Choshu (4/21/83)

#5. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Riki Choshu (7/7/83)

#6. Tiger Mask & Kantaro Hoshino vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi & Gran Hamada (2/10/83)

#7. Andre the Giant vs. Hulk Hogan (12/9/82)

#8. Akira Maeda vs. Killer Khan (5/17/83)

#9. Antonio Inoki & Kengo Kimura vs. Adrian Adonis & Bob Orton Jr. (3/4/83)

#10. Hulk Hogan vs. Antonio Inoki (IWGP League Final) (6/2/83)

#11. Gran Hamada, Kantaro Hoshino & Tiger Mask vs. Missionaries De La Muerte (1/14/83)

#12. Dick Murdoch vs. Abdullah the Butcher (7/7/83)

- Looks like Disk 5 is all Sekigun Vs Ishingun. awesome!!!

Posted Image Floyd's Master Plan to ruin the results (Part 5 of 15):

Disk #5

#1. 5-on-5 Gauntlet (4/19/84)

#2. Tatsumi Fujinami, Akira Maeda & Kengo Kimura vs. Riki Choshu, Yoshiaki Yatsu & Animal Hamaguchi (12/8/83)

#3. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Riki Choshu (8/4/83)

#4. Tatsumi Fujinami & Akira Maeda vs. Riki Choshu & Animal Hamaguchi (12/2/83)

#5. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Riki Choshu (9/21/83)

#6. Antonio Inoki, Akira Maeda & Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs. Riki Choshu, Yoshiaki Yatsu & Animal Hamaguchi (2/9/84)

#7. Tatsumi Fujinami, Seiji Sakaguchi & Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs. Riki Choshu, Yoshiaki Yatsu & Higo Hamaguchi (3/22/84)

#8. Nobuhiko Takada vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi (3/9/84)

#9. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Killer Khan (11/3/83)

Tentative Top 10 for Disks 1-5

#1. Tiger Mask vs. Dynamite Kid (4/21/83)

#2. Andre the Giant vs. Stan Hansen (9/23/81)

#3. 5-on-5 Gauntlet (4/19/84)

#4. Tatsumi Fujinami, Akira Maeda & Kengo Kimura vs. Riki Choshu, Yoshiaki Yatsu & Animal Hamaguchi (12/8/83)

#5. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Dynamite Kid (2/5/80)

#6. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Riki Choshu (4/3/83)

#7. Tiger Mask vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi (1/6/83)

#8. Tiger Mask vs. Dynamite Kid (8/5/82)

#9. Tiger Mask vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi (11/4/82)

#10. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Riki Choshu (4/21/83)

My Disc 2 Rankings:

1. Andre the Giant vs. Stan Hansen (9/23/81)

2. Antonio Inoki vs. Stan Hansen (4/23/81)

3. Antonio Inoki & Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Andre the Giant & Rene Goulet (12/10/81)

4. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Steve Keirn (11/6/80)

5. Tiger Mask vs. El Canek (12/8/81)

6. Tiger Mask vs. Gran Hamada (11/6/81)

7. Chavo Guerrero vs. Kengo Kimura (11/3/80)

8. Bob Backlund vs. Stan Hansen (9/30/80)

9. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Isamu Teranishi (10/8/81)

10. Tiger Mask & Kengo Kimura vs. Negro Navarro & El Signo (10/30/81)

11. Tiger Mask vs. Dynamite Kid (4/23/81)

12. George Takano vs. Stan Lane (7/24/81)

13. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Ron Starr (9/30/80)

14. Chavo Guerrero vs. Kengo Kimura (9/30/80)

15. Tiger Mask & Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Pete Roberts & El Solitario (9/4/81)

I think Hansen was the worker of this. Loved the Inoki feud, but loved getting to see him have great matches with other opponents, too. Sad to see him go, but I know there's still a ton of great stuff to come. Andre rules so hard, he is honestly not far behind Stan. Tiger Mask is overrated as Hell, but I am shocked that I do not hate him more than I do, and he has had some fun performances. I think the myth that's really going to get shot full of holes here is the idea that Dynamite Kid was some kind of superworker who was able to reign in Sayama and get great matches from him that other opponents couldn't. I liked their match on this disc more than most, surprisingly, but Hamada was clearly Dyno's superior in that regard, and while I wouldn't classify what Canek did as "reigning Sayama in", I do think his style coaxed a better performance out of Sayama than what we would normally see from him. I also was totally blown away by the Missionarios tag on first viewing, but it didn't hold up quite as well on reflection, which I guess is the story of Sayama's entire run as Tiger Mask. Still dug it a bunch, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Image Floyd's Master Plan to ruin the results (Part 6 of 15):

Disk #6

#1. Tatsumi Fujinami & Antonio Inoki vs. Dick Murdoch & Adrian Adonis (12/7/84)

#2. Tatsumi Fujinami & Kengo Kimura vs. Dick Murdoch & Adrian Adonis (5/24/85)

#3. The Cobra vs. Hiroshi Saito (11/9/84)

#4. Hulk Hogan vs. Tatsumi Fujinami (2/5/85)

#5. Tatsumi Fujinami & Kengo Kimura vs. Adrian Adonis & Dick Murdoch (12/8/84)

#6. Keiichi Yamada vs. Shunji Kosugi (4/18/85)

#7. Antonio Inoki vs. Billy Crusher (9/17/84)

#8. Antonio Inoki vs. Riki Choshu (5/18/84)

#9. Antonio Inoki vs. Andre the Giant (6/11/84)

#10. Riki Choshu vs. Greg Valentine (9/7/84)

#11. Antonio Inoki & Seiji Sakaguchi vs. Dick Murdoch & Adrian Adonis (3/29/85)

#12. Bob Backlund vs. Riki Choshu (8/24/84)

Posted Image Floyd's Master Plan to ruin the results (Part 7 of 15):

Disk #7

#1. Keiji Mutoh, Keiichi Yamada & Kengo Kimura vs. Shinya Hashimoto, Shunji Kosugi & Kantaro Hoshino (9/13/85)

#2. Tatsumi Fujinami & Kengo Kimura vs. Antonio Inoki & Seiji Sakaguchi (12/12/85)

#3. Tatsumi Fujinami & Kengo Kimura vs. Antonio Inoki & Seiji Sakaguchi (12/6/85)

#4. Dick Murdoch vs. Bruiser Brody (11/22/85)

#5. Akira Maeda vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara (1/10/86)

#6. Akira Maeda vs. Nobuhiko Takada (1/3/86)

#7. Antonio Inoki vs. Bruiser Brody (10/31/85)

#8. Antonio Inoki vs. Dick Murdoch (12/10/85)

#9. Tatsumi Fujinami & Kengo Kimura vs. Masked Superstar & Dick Murdoch (11/29/85)

#10. The Cobra vs. Don Arakawa (8/1/85)

#11. Andre the Giant & Tony St. Clair vs. Seiji Sakaguchi & Kantaro Hoshino (6/13/85)

OK ill try to post some thought from now on.

As for Disk #7. The only 3 matches that stood out for me was:

#1. Keiji Mutoh, Keiichi Yamada & Kengo Kimura vs. Shinya Hashimoto, Shunji Kosugi & Kantaro Hoshino (9/13/85)

- Fun non-stop 6-man with the new guys trying out all their moves. Noting super special but my favorite on the disk.

#2. Tatsumi Fujinami & Kengo Kimura vs. Antonio Inoki & Seiji Sakaguchi (12/12/85)

#3. Tatsumi Fujinami & Kengo Kimura vs. Antonio Inoki & Seiji Sakaguchi (12/6/85)

- A little slow at times but two solid tag matches with the younger dudes taking on their mentors.

#7. Antonio Inoki vs. Bruiser Brody (10/31/85)

- OK but really slow at times and Brody silly selling went into underdrive. To be honest I've seen about 4 or so other Inoki/Brody matches (admittedly not at the same time) and would rate them higher than this one. Didnt have the big matchup feel and crown heat as in their other matches. But thats just me.

Posted Image

How about you guys? Anyone gotten to Disk #7 yet? Or any thought on other matches. In the midst of packing up and moving but hopefully I'll get to start Disk #8 which is the start of the awesome NJ/UWF feud.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hansen vs. Andre 9/23/81

I watched it, and was not overly impressed. I watched it a second time, and it grew on me.

I watched it for a third time, last night, and I found out why it is hailed. Andre goes on his berserker rampage like he did against Khan in the stretcher match, and it is awesome.

They brawl like two men possessed, literally beating the shit out of each other. Andre has a look of sheer anger at times, which is awesome.

I disliked the finish though, but neither man was going to do the job to each other, but Hansen will job to Inoki...

I am not sure where this will place on my ballot, I do like the match, but I dig juniors work typically more than huge heavyweights, but it remains, it is Hansen and Andre.

• 2 weeks later...

So with the deadline fast approaching, spent today before my shift trying to play some catch-up.

As a general rule, I steer clear of the individual threads discussing each match until I watch them--so as to avoid spoilers.

Even though I know the predilection of many of the folks in this fair community, I was rather shocked at the abject Hatred (yeah, capital H) for Tiger Mask/Dynamite from 4/23/81.

It was far from a perfect match, and right now it's middle of the road on my ballot, but I still found it entertaining. It probably also should be noted I can count all the Sayama matches I have seen in my life on one hand and have fingers left over.

What was your opinion about that match?

So with the deadline fast approaching, spent today before my shift trying to play some catch-up.

As a general rule, I steer clear of the individual threads discussing each match until I watch them--so as to avoid spoilers.

Even though I know the predilection of many of the folks in this fair community, I was rather shocked at the abject Hatred (yeah, capital H) for Tiger Mask/Dynamite from 4/23/81.

It was far from a perfect match, and right now it's middle of the road on my ballot, but I still found it entertaining. It probably also should be noted I can count all the Sayama matches I have seen in my life on one hand and have fingers left over.

What was your opinion about that match?

That's the Debut match right? I always liked it. On its own it established Tiger Mask as a guy with crazy moves and Dynamite being bewildered and unprepared. Then it sets up their series as in the next matches Dynamite uses counters to those moves. I don't know if I'll get a ballot in but it probably would've been in the middle, or slightly up a bit, for me too.

That's my thought. I know there was some sloppy execution but the goal was to make TM look like a million bucks. And Dynamite Kid achieved that. So, the match did its job.

Will probably be middlin' on my ballot--assuming I get one in.

Yeah, I enjoyed it a lot. It's the kind of match I can watch over and over and over again over the years. Tiger's suplex at the end has got to be one of the best bridges I have ever seen. Floyd hit it right on the head on why this match works. I'd like to point out it has some good structure too.

Some of the criticism for TM was that he didn't allow anyone to get enough of a beatdown on him so when he made his comebacks they'd be worth more. I understand this thought process but in TM's case I always looked at it as the guy being too kayfabe good for anyone to do that to often to him. It just addes to his mythical greatness for me.