Pro Wrestling Only

Superstar vs Incompetent Jobber

Indikator

I just watched Tito Santana vs Ed Dean (4/25/87 Superstars) and Dean blew a hammerlock reversal and a leapfrog spot. This reminded me how awesome superstar vs incompetent jobber matches can be. Like, there was an Iron Sheik match from the European IWCCW tapes where he had some +250 slob opponent and at the end just gutwrenched him into oblivion and I bet his opponent didn't know that spot (might have been the Dublin Destroyer)

I could have posted this in "Make That Comp!", but a mere listamania should be enough for me, as I might have other "gems" unbeknown to me

So give me your clueless, give me your incompetent, the technically impaired and all the guys who had a couple hours of training by Paul Roma prior to their TV debut. I just like watching stuff where every spot might lead to bodily harm (*tries to ignore Chuck Austin*)

Nice match, but I wouldn't say Reese was bad. What did he fuck up? He was the perfect cannon fodder that is needed in squash matches.

This guy on the other hand...

Oh man, that was something else! "Judo" Joe Black's performance had me legitimately questioning whether he was actually trained in wrestling at all.

I've told this story before but I had a friend in elementary school whose father did jobs for the WWF in the early /mid 80s at the Poughkeepsie tapings. He was barely trained to work and was chosen because he had a "husky" tough guy look. So like that Patera match you are going to see a lot of shitty jobbers during that time frame.

I think the WWF became a little better in their requirements for enhancement talent by the second half of the decade

Stan Hansen & Ole Anderson vs. The Samoans (3/27/82 Georgia)

One of the Samoan dudes just keeps messing things up, won't sell and Hansen and Ole are getting pissed. It got to the point I started yelling "just stay down and let it end!" at the TV.

This isn't The Wild Samoans, btw

There is a Buzz Sawyer match from 82 or 83 in Ga against Randy Mulley, Gordon Solie introduces him as Randy Mulley but I swear its Randy Mulkey. Sawyer just abuses him. It was downright frightening. At one point Sawyer threw him out of the ring and Mulley takes an insane bump on the floor. I dont think this was planned at all. Mulley was actually able to get back in the ring but you can tell he was pretty hurt. Sawyer just mauled enhancement guys. I know people talk about how bad Steiner and Vader were but I think Sawyer was the worst with jobber guys. I dont think Mulley was incompetent in this case but how could you tell against Buzz? He just did his own thing went he went in there. I thought he was immensely talented, He could have been and should have been one of the greats.

The best guys with jobber matches was Muraco and The Midnite Express. They honestly looked like they were having fun. Muraco barking at the crowd while they chanted beach bum while destroying his opponent was great and so were his interviews. Then on TBS you had the Express flying all over the ring while Cornette was going a mile a minute on the mic zinging everyone from Jimmy Valiant, Rocky King, the Street People, The Rock and Roll Express, Dusty Rhodes and Baby Doll to Dave and Tony themselves. Bobby always looked like he was going to hit his head in the rafters in the old studio while flying off the top rope. A guilty pleasure of mine is the short lived tag team of the New Breed with Sean Royal and Chris Champion. Yes there gimmick was horrible but I thought they had some cool moves and were fun to watch in the ring. I might be the only person out there with a New Breed comp. The Bulldogs vs Thornton and Foley match always makes me laugh when I see it. The look on Foleys face while being introduced by Fink is priceless. I really do miss jobber matches.

Here is Foleys first televised match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQDbE9kFUkw