Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would rather not use this thread to speculate on drug use from a guy who it's pretty known is clean.

Please keep the focus of this thread on his work. I have no problem cracking jokes at his suit or referencing the banana girlfriend story from Eyada, but I think accusing him of drug use is a step too far.

I'm probably hypocritical since I just pointed out that Nash's youthful looks are suspicious, and Dave has even pointed out when he thought people were on something. But Dave isn't a public figure in the same way wrestlers are public figures, and I don't like the idea of going there.

He's always made clear that he lives cleanly, and he's given no reason for us to suspect otherwise.

For the record, I wasn't accusing Dave of definitely using. I thought it was a legit question based on both his time spent around bodybuilders and pro wrestling, which both are known for their cavalier attitudes toward usage at times. It's also not unheard of for guys who claim to be clean to turn out not to be. It's not like I was wondering if he ever raped puppies, at the very least there's enough circumstantial evidence for it to be something worth pondering. For a time there he looked like 1992 Scott Steiner, so to suggest he's never given any reason to suspect otherwise is kind of silly.

Or maybe it's because I just don't trust anyone who's ever willingly worn Zubaz pants.

But whatever, if he says he's clean, he's clean. Even if he was doing something at one point he isn't now since he's not jacked up as he used to be. Either way, it's not anything worth ruffling feathers over.

referencing the banana girlfriend story from Eyada

Sounds interesting. What's the story exactly?

From the 03-06-2001 Wrestling Observer Live. You to listen to Dave to tell the story:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/s33bjd

I dont have a time mark.

Somehow, Dave plotting a revenge angle and feuding with his ex-girlfriend doesn't surprise me at all. :)

Loved this:

--Who was the biggest all-around star of 2011?

C.M. Punk 45.9%

The Rock 25.9%

Manny Pacquiao 7.0%

Floyd Mayweather 5.3%

John Cena 4.1%

Anderson Silva 3.6%

GSP 3.0%

Hulk Hogan 2.1%

Brock Lesnar 2.1%

Randy Orton 1.1%

There are some days when these poll results really reflect badly on the web site. This is one of those days.

Poor Dave is going to have a meltdown when Punk wins the Wrestler of the Year and Most Outstanding.

Here it is in full:

What was the greatest in-ring rivalry in history?

Flair vs. Steamboat 36.5%

Misawa vs. Kobashi 23.8%

Freebirds vs. Von Erichs 10.2%

Rock & Roll Express vs. Midnight Express 7.2%

Hogan vs. Andre 7.0%

Jack Brisco vs Dory Funk Jr. 5.9%

Tiger Mask vs. Dynamite Kid 3.5%

Jushin Liger vs. Chris Benoit 1.4%

Strangler Lewis vs. Joe Stecher1.2%

Ric Flair vs. Barry Windham 1.2%

Aja Kong vs. Manami Toyota 1.2%

Lou Thesz vs. Pat O'Connor 1.0%

What a bizarre selection. Stetcher/Strangler Lewis may have been awesome, but how would anyone know? And Hogan vs Andre?

The poll just seems to be an exercise to point out that Fast 5 drew (brother) $625,396,319 and that maybe Pro Wrestling=MMA=Movies and that anyone who doesnt get it is behind the times or something.

A movie film out drew Money in the Bank. I await Rock to go all Arthouse so that WWE has a fighting chance.

On the Dave/Juice question/comments earlier, a most emphatic NO. Clean, to the point that people thought he was square.

Dave doesn't need me to vouch for him on anything, but that one I will. Countless conversations with him on the topic, travelled with him, saw his reaction to people who were juiced and that he worried about... he was extremely sincere and unguarded on the topic. Clean to an extreme degree.

John

Of all the stuff going on in wrestling around the world, this is what is your top headline in today's update.

--Chuck Langerman's daily wrestling trivia. Steve Borden, later to become Sting and for a brief period of time, Real Estate Steve, was a 6-foot-2 high school basketball star at Williams S. Hart High School in Newhall, CA. Others who went to that school are actor Mark-Paul Gosselaar, former White House Press Secretary Dee Dee Myers, a man in the news today, Joe Kapp as well as another NFL quarterback, Kyle Boller.

He has a slight point though, as towing the company line in public is at odds with what got him over in the first place, which was being a "truth sayer" willing to stick up for the much maligned hardcore fans. Coming off as a company shill does him nor his company any favours whatsoever.

Thought some people would enjoy this. Huge Dave response to the poll criticism.

Comprehend the words:

There are days when the poll results reflect badly on the web site. That's all that was said. Nothing else. And they did.

You can argue about wrestling vs. MMA which this wasn't about, considering the four biggest stars right now are probably two wrestlers and two boxers, and definitely the big three are a wrestler and two boxers.

It's not about making fun of the subscribers (who I'd guess were a very small percentage of those who voted) but if it suits your political purpose to say I said that, go ahead.

It's that if anyone from the outside saw that poll, they would laugh. Maybe they'd laugh at other polls, but I rarely get e-mails about poll results, usually from older fans who will see a result skewing young, or skewing American and talk about ignorance of history or foreign (like the poll where people said New York had more great matches than Tokyo which a number of people commented on and obviously they are right) and get mad. It is what it is.

Before I even checked on the results, I had several e-mails saying how this proves things about people on the site is not very kind words. I'd be willing to defend the results if they were close, like if they got mad Rock beat Pacquiao, well, Rock's a bigger star in some circles, Pacquiao in others. But when you have people saying the guy who won by a significant margin isn't one of the three biggest wrestling stars in the poll (for this year I'd put him third behind Rock and Cena but I can see if you're arguing mainstream he's not top three), well, it was just a comment about e-mails I'd already gotten and figured I would be getting. Which I did.

For those trying to use this as some sort of evidence about wrestling vs. MMA, man, that's really sad, because we have wrestling and MMA polls all the time and not in all cases, but the majority, whether it's what show you are most interested in, what show you liked the most, what is your favorite promotion, the vast majority of the time, not every time, but the vast majority, something to do with UFC is winning.

We've done this poll probably 6-7 times over the past three years and I believe Lesnar won in every case, maybe Cena won once before Lesnar got hot. Did MMA fan after any of them start writing about how we should drop our coverage of pro wrestling (well, probably on MMA sites, but I'd hope our site has smarter readers than MMA sites). So clinging onto this poll to argue wrestling vs. MMA is really, well, I don't know, short-sighted, lacking examination of the subject, I don't know.

This site has been carried for years by UFC and WWE, in no specific order, depending on which is hottest at that moment. The idea of cutting back on coverage of either would be so unbelievably foolish that whenever I read someone who brings either up, I have to shake my head.

Now, you can go back and argue about Jonah Hill vs. John Wayne or about how I don't listen to my own audience when the people who are arguing it are apparently the ones who listen to the audience the least.

For this coming month, and granted, it's a Lesnar month, but it's also the most up to date and current:

What show are you most interested in

UFC 141 51.6%

ROH Final Battle 17.8%

WWE TLC 15.1%

TNA Final Resolution 3.9%

What was your favorite recent show

UFC 138 52.3%

Survivor Series 27.5%

Bound for Glory 5.4%

So if you want to tell me we cover TNA too much, go right ahead. If you want to tell me we cover UFC too much, no, we cover it too little and anyone who looks at interest level and percentage of space in the Observer and studies this will come to the same conclusion when you compare UFC, TNA and WWE. WWE is covered maybe about right, UFC too little and TNA too much.