Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't follow MMA media much but how big is Meltzer in the MMA media world? Seems weird for Dana to go after a guy that writes the Wrestling Observer. Wasn't Dave gone from Yahoo when he wrote what got Dana upset?

That's a hard question to answer as MMA journalism hasn't really matured. If anything any Tom, Dick or Harry with a website or blog can get a press pass if they arent uber anti UFC.

There is plenty of successful blog sites but the most popular traditional website to my reckoning at least is Sherdog. They regularly have Todd Martin on their podcasts who breaks down fights as a sports analyst would. Sporadically Dave is on Sherdog and is introduced as the" Dean" or "Professor" of MMA and is credited with being the first or the longest reigning journalist to cover the sport. The host usual pitches to Dave on history and business matters and only light pitches to him went it comes down to analysing and breaking down fights and fighters.

Dave is VERY respected by MMA journalists and blogs but in my experience is still seen as "that Pro Wrestling guy?" by fans on Twitter at least. I really do think not being on Twitter/being a behind the paywall commodity hurts him greatly.

Again this is from my experience blah, blah.

Dave's been following and covering MMA since the start of UFC and even prior to that if you count UWF and Pancrase as common roots. He's always had his finger on the pulse of combat sports as an industry, boxing, PPV, etc. and understands the history that all of these things share.....

That's why I've always thought it's silly when people get on his case about blending coverage of MMA and wrestling and how he draws parallels between them.....they are two different forms of the same thing and have more in common than not, and Dave is as knowledgeable about the history of both as anyone out there

Dana White knows as well as anyone the type of knowledge Dave brings to the table, I remember when he was the fresh faced new promoter and sucking up to Meltzer, I remember him lavishing praise on Vince McMahon......Dana White isn't fooling anyone with his act. He's a carnival barking promoter, no different from McMahon or Don King or Paul Heyman or Hulk Hogan or Howard Stern or anyone else with a product to sell

Dana White did an interview with Ariel Helwani where he accused Dave of being a mouthpiece for Spike and Bellator, being given UFC ratings numbers by them to write negative pieces in the Observer. We all know how crazy that is. I do have to admit to enjoying this a little bit after all of these years of hearing about how UFC is doing pro wrestling better than pro wrestling.

This is really odd. Has Dave's rather harmless style of reporting gotten that far under the skin of Dana that he went back for a second bite at the apple?

At this point, I don't think it's about what Dave wrote. He's attempting to get the MMA media to pick sides, rather than remain neutral in the upcoming promotional battle between UFC and Bellator. Dave is a good guy to pick on because he won't rise to the bait.

--Just one note regarding the Dana White thing with Ariel Helwani on Thursday, when White talked about me saying UFC was a fad, in actuality in the article in question, the word "fad" was used once, in a sentence where I said that they've been popular too long to be considered a fad.

I am starting to think someone and likely someone here has put a hex on UFC:

Arianny Celeste was arrested this morning for domestic violence

Even the ring card girls are getting into trouble. UFC just seems to lurch from disaster to disaster.

Irv Muchnik needs to a WCCW style expose on the UFC at this stage.

OK, this thread sucks now. Just a bunch of bullshit navel-gazing about Dave and Dana. Seriously, who gives fuck?

1. Dana's spent the last few weeks trying to bait Dave into a flamewar and seems frustrated he isn't taking the bait.

2. Is there anything worse than the self appointed arbiter of what can and can't be discussed on message boards?

I think the actual topic isn't the actual brouhaha, but how the face of a major sports enterprise is devoting large chunks of time to try to start a slappy fight with a reporter no one outside of the MMA/pro wres bubble would even know let alone care about.

OK, this thread sucks now. Just a bunch of bullshit navel-gazing about Dave and Dana. Seriously, who gives a fuck?

Your post was the 2412th in the thread. Why don't you let us know how many of those have been about the current Dave-Dana issue? It would take 241 of them to reach a 1% threshold.

John

OK, this thread sucks now. Just a bunch of bullshit navel-gazing about Dave and Dana. Seriously, who gives a fuck?

Your post was the 2412th in the thread. Why don't you let us know how many of those have been about the current Dave-Dana issue? It would take 241 of them to reach a 1% threshold.

John

241/2412 * 100 = ?

And people are complaining about Dave's math. ;)

Hey, I'm not your mom. If you think that what Dave had for breakfast this morning is a topic of great interest, knock yourself out. I just think that the current Dave/Dana brouhaha is too petty to warrant discussing in great detail.

The public face of American MMA has now done several videos accusing Dave of being a mouthpiece for their competitor, questioning his credibility in front of thousands of viewers. Has the "Dave Meltzer Stuff" thread been so eventful that this is somehow not worth of a mention?

And people are complaining about Dave's math. ;)

Is Dave's math bad? I certainly don't get that impression when listening to the podcast and he pulls some quick mental arithmetic when calculating, say, percentage changes. Bryan, on the other hand, seems to struggle with anything like that.