Pro Wrestling Only

RAW tonight

sek69

I watch too much current lucha and am burned out by invasion angles. Still...

The guys from NXT are considered as "rookies" right ? If so, I just can't see how they will compete with the established stars. The NWO was about two of the biggest stars of the opposite company showing up, and being joined by the biggest superstar ever. Is the WWE audience supposed to believe that guys that haven't done shit will kick the ass of the megastars of RAW now ? I know, I'm playing the devil's advocate, as I really don't watch WWE at all at this point, nor care, but reading the whole thing, there's just something that doesn't work for me. Indeed it sounds like Natural Born Thrillers redux rather than NWO redux. Then again, what do I know.

Mpro ran a long time built on punk rookie kids disrespecting Gran Hamada and other established stars. It seemed credible.

Michaels is retired. Undertaker is out for a while, as is HHH. Unless one of those guys shows up next week, WWE doesn't currently have the kind of selfish megastars that will no sell a Natural Born Thrillers angle. I have no faith in WWE's followup and assume that this whole thing will get blown in two weeks. But there is no structural reason that would force them to blow it.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not quite sure I go along with the logic of Raw being "consciously bad and goofy" prior to that angle to further make it stand out. It was well done, but how many people had they turned off by that point? I mean even by the worst of current Raw standards that was fucking awful for the first 2 3/4 hours.

Perhaps they were counting on a lot of "Shit, I turned it off and missed it" being said the next day, so as to illustrate that viewers should watch the whole show because "anything can happen".

Not likely, but even unintentionally I imagine it did that to a few people, and it did create a buzz amongst casual viewers and channel flippers as well. That's not a bad thing.

This angle so missed blood.

Agreed. The angle had that mayhem feeling to it, but since the WWF has reverted back to a "more family friendly environment", a potential 5* angle was only 4 1/2*. But really, if this happened ten years ago, it would have been spectacular with blood and weapons. Nevertheless, it was an awesome closing to Raw...which might be just one of the best I have ever seen - and yes, I am including the Attitude Era. This beats the beer truck angle by a large margin.

I've always been a fan of large numbered gangs wrecking havoc and destroying everyone in sight a la the NWO. While this probably one time angle can't compare to the NWO wrecking havoc, it's the best thing the WWF has done in a long, long time.

Possibly, I'm already tired of hearing the word "vegetative", but WWE has always has this weird thing with words.

I wonder if the word choice was an awkward PG synonym for something more violent.

So I looked them up with funny results

abundant, arable, bearing, black, bountiful, breeding, breedy, bringing forth, childing, fecund, feracious, flowering, flowing with milk and honey, fruitful, generative, gravid, hebetic, loamy, lush, luxuriant, plenteous, plentiful, pregnant, procreant, producing, productive, proliferant, prolific, puberal, pubescent, rank, rich, spawning, teeming, uberous, vegetative , virile, with child, yielding

Undertaker is pregnant!

The NXT invasion storyline continued at last night's WWE developmental show in Melbourne, Florida. The main event was scheduled to be The Miz and Daniel Bryan vs. Christian and Heath Slater but that didn't happen. The Miz's music played before the match but nobody came out. Christian came out next and talked about what happened on RAW, then called out Heath Slater. Slater talked about how everything was good to start off on NXT but then Christian wouldn't give him the answers so they lost the competition.

Daniel Bryan then ran out and attacked Christian from behind. The Miz came down next and fought off the Rookies with Christian. Miz proposes that they do a Pros vs. Rookies match. Miz cut a babyface promo with Christian and worked the match as a face.

The ending came when Miz and Christian were about to hit their finishers on the Rookies. All of the Season 1 Rookies rushed the ring and beat down Miz and Christian. The Rookies tore down the FCW ring before Bryan kicked Miz in the head and Slater hit the Killswitch on Christian. The Rookies left with the Pros laid out.

The NXT invasion storyline continued at last night's WWE developmental show in Melbourne, Florida. The main event was scheduled to be The Miz and Daniel Bryan vs. Christian and Heath Slater but that didn't happen. The Miz's music played before the match but nobody came out. Christian came out next and talked about what happened on RAW, then called out Heath Slater. Slater talked about how everything was good to start off on NXT but then Christian wouldn't give him the answers so they lost the competition.

Daniel Bryan then ran out and attacked Christian from behind. The Miz came down next and fought off the Rookies with Christian. Miz proposes that they do a Pros vs. Rookies match. Miz cut a babyface promo with Christian and worked the match as a face.

The ending came when Miz and Christian were about to hit their finishers on the Rookies. All of the Season 1 Rookies rushed the ring and beat down Miz and Christian. The Rookies tore down the FCW ring before Bryan kicked Miz in the head and Slater hit the Killswitch on Christian. The Rookies left with the Pros laid out.

That sounds better than Striker's opening on Tuesday night. He almost sunk the whole angle all by himself...Bombastic?!?

Possibly, I'm already tired of hearing the word "vegetative", but WWE has always has this weird thing with words.

Imagine how I feel then...

My mother was stricken down by a ruptured aneurysm...and is now in a vegetative state.

:(

Within WWE, the word has been sent out internally that the Bryan Danielson firing is legitimate the same way any other firing would be done. All the higher-ups in the company were informed that he was gone before the item that everyone assumes to be a work was put on the web site. It's difficult to believe given the timing that it could possibly be legitimate. The idea they would work their own employees on a wrestling angle is also hard to fathom given the history of companies that have done that.

Hmm..

Within WWE, the word has been sent out internally that the Bryan Danielson firing is legitimate the same way any other firing would be done. All the higher-ups in the company were informed that he was gone before the item that everyone assumes to be a work was put on the web site. It's difficult to believe given the timing that it could possibly be legitimate. The idea they would work their own employees on a wrestling angle is also hard to fathom given the history of companies that have done that.

Hmm..

Different board said it evolves not taking care of Justin Roberts while choking him monday

Guest Cobra Commander

I prefer version 1 of the Meltzer revision, where he outs the two WWE corporate board members who were his sources on "it's real"

Whoops!

I seriously doubt Dave just accidentally put two sources in his news update. Or that he's tight with the COO, who is someone with no prior wrestling experience. He's probably protecting someone under them. Or he replaced their names with "executives" so people would know who he's talking about.

From Meltzer at the F4W board:

" What I was told if someone very important complained about the angle and it was the idea that kids watching may think it's fun to choke people with their ties.

He was a scapegoat. They want him back when it blows over.

What I don't know is where the complaint came from, but obviously it was someone very powerful, because even people internally now that it's out can't understand why they didn't wait until Tuesday and have Cena destroy him on Raw on Monday."

Think it's supposed to read "was told is someone"....

Really depressing to hear something so stupid could screw up something so great. Unbelievable.