Pro Wrestling Only

RAW tonight

sek69

Yeah I know, it's just a handy example of the hypocracy surrounding this incident. Also, at another board someone pointed out that the finish of the main event of the Breaking Point ppv last year was Cena choking out Orton with the chain on a pair of handcuffs.

Cryme Tyme at Extreme Rulz were choking each other in a strap match this year though.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't seem to find which site this originated from, but it's being C&P'ed all over:

One of WWE's sponsors (possibly the same one that got Danielson fired) is unhappy with The Undertaker's gimmick and want it changed so that he's not a "deadman". They are also reportedly complaining about CM Punk being presented as a "cult" leader.

Its accuracy is totally unverified, but it does sound like something that could happen. At what point does the WWE give in? Which is more important, a fat licensing contract or the eternally overprotected character of the Undertaker?

Presuming that is the case, when they start messing with Undertaker, that is when I would presume WWE would fight back. That may be just an Internet rumor as I haven't seen it reported anywhere, but if it is not, that would make WWE more "PG" than they were even in the Hogan era.

I know we've seen wrestlers choke each other all the time, but now you have a wrestler choking a ring announcer, so I imagine whoever complained saw that as being different... for lack of a better team, said person thought of a ring announcer as a "civilian."

But this is the type of stuff WWE is going to have to deal with now that the company is venturing further into the world of corporate America, where image is what matters more often than not.

I can't seem to find which site this originated from, but it's being C&P'ed all over:

One of WWE's sponsors (possibly the same one that got Danielson fired) is unhappy with The Undertaker's gimmick and want it changed so that he's not a "deadman". They are also reportedly complaining about CM Punk being presented as a "cult" leader.

Its accuracy is totally unverified, but it does sound like something that could happen. At what point does the WWE give in? Which is more important, a fat licensing contract or the eternally overprotected character of the Undertaker?

It's not accurate.

yes another C & P but I really think John Pollock sums up the situation quite nicely:

**One of the major issues we will be discussing tonight is the release of Daniel Bryan (Bryan Danielson) this past Friday and the issues that the release brings up with the new culture within the WWE and the realities of their business plan. For those that have only heard bits and pieces regarding the reasoning behind his release it was felt that incident involving Bryan choking out Justin Roberts with a tie was too violent for the product and that there needed to be a fall guy for the incident and it ended up being Bryan. The WWE were not the ones that was angry about the incident but rather an outside source that no one knows the identity of, who clearly wields a lot of political and monetary power in regards to WWE business (and you can speculate all you want in terms of who or whom that may or may not be). The WWE in 2010 is a major global brand that has worked very hard over the past 2-3 years to reshape their image to the corporate world and the result has been a slow process that has resulted in significantly higher scale sponsors as well as some very big licensing deals (Mattel) that is working to present a family friendly entertainment product and no one angle is worth jeopardizing the work they have done. Is it unfair? Absolutely it is. It should be noted that in the post Chris Benoit murder / suicide that there was a company directive against choking anyone on screen and this was known publicly as it was one of the first things that went through my mind when I saw the spot Monday as well as Heath Slater attempting to choke John Cena with a ring rope (and he immediately dropped the rope when it likely clicked in his head that he was not allowed to perform that spot). It's really easy to blame the WWE for choosing their corporate interests above a really hot angle but I understand the spot they were put in and you have to view this in the big picture if you were running this company and not as a wrestling fan who is pissed off that Daniel Bryan has been fired. I think it hurts the angle a lot, it's not fair that Daniel Bryan is out of a job and I hope he is eventually brought back because he has been a part of the two best segments on WWE TV this year in my opinion and is a real talent that could be a top guy. We welcome your calls tonight on the show to discuss the situation and where the company comes next with the NXT angle starting tomorrow night.

I think at this point it's clear it had to be someone from Mattel that complained, their deal is the reason WWE is PG rated now (not Linda's campaign like everyone seems to think) and I think WWE is getting enough money from them now that they have to jump if someone gets offended. I mean, if you were a top level suit a a toy company would you like to see the business you just signed a huge deal with show simulated strangulation when you were promised a product you can market to kids?

I mean, it wasn't even like the usual wrestling "strangle" where one guy has his arms across the ropes or the hold is worked loose enough you can see daylight. I know he's not a wrestler but Roberts should have been clued in enough to at least attempt to get his hands under the tie to at least give the visual impression you aren't about to see a dude get legit strangled.

I understand there had to be a fall guy, but the things that are so peculiar about it are:

(1) The camera switched to it when there was plenty of other action going on that they could have covered

(2) Justin Roberts was also a participant in this, not just Danielson

(3) Why is this resulting in termination instead of a fine or even a suspension? Had the fine been significant enough, they could have equally conveyed the point to their business partners that they are serious about keeping things clean.

I'm also not sure there ever was an official "no choking" policy. Internet whispering is the first I have heard about such a WWE policy.

One thing I haven't really paid attention to that I'd be curious about: since they've moved in a more toned down direction, have they changed the way they portray their women at all? I know there was discussion about doing so at one point and Kevin Dunn nixed it, but did they finally end up dressing the women more conservatively? I watch WWE highlights on YouTube after I hear about something happening, and it's not often the divas do something considered a "highlight", so I have no idea what they are up to these days.

I'm also not sure there ever was an official "no choking" policy. Internet whispering is the first I have heard about such a WWE policy.

Same here. People keep bringing this up, but I don't remember ever hearing about it before now. Certainly there are enough examples of various chokings occuring on WWE programming over the last three years. If they ever had such a policy, it was enforced about as fiercely as their steroid testing.

John Cena just posted this long diatribe on Twitter.

I am very upset to hear about the release of bryan danielson. Social networks were formed so people would have a voice, and an opinon. I know you all have your own, theories and whatnot. I respect that. I have never asked any of you to feel a certaint way about me. But Bryan left a lasting impression on the wwe universe in a very short time, and although it came at my expense, I agree with the majority Of you who are caught off guard by this choice. I know I'm not exactly appreciated by all, nor do I care to be, but I believe what I believe. I would like bryan to come back to the wwe. I would like to sign your petition to bring him back. I was taught to stand up for what I beileve in. I tried and failed, so I could Use some help. Tell me how to sign and I will. If for nothing else, to at least have a chance to have a match with him after what was done. I know that seems a bit more fair. Give me a chance to have a fair match with him, and give him yet another chance to prove that he does Belong with us. Sorry for the long message, I know I am probally way out of line, I am sorry if I have offended anyone. But like me or not That is what Hustle. Loyalty. And most importantly Respect means to me.

Meltzer on Cena's twitter posts

This would certainly strongly indicate work. Another reason is that this idea some nebulous outside force complained at this point would have been revealed. They don't have a reason he was fired. If he was, you'd think there would be a reason. If it's an angle, you'd think they'd have a more solid reason.

What's the point on going such a elaborate road if it's a work ? Does the basic audience of the WWE care to begin with ? I mean, if it's a freaking wrestling angle, why not go the easiest way, having the Raw anouncers say that the NXT crew has been fined or such, but Bryan has been fired because his actions went too far. This whole "working the internet" nonsense reeks of Russoesque desperation.

Meltzer on Cena's twitter posts

This would certainly strongly indicate work. Another reason is that this idea some nebulous outside force complained at this point would have been revealed. They don't have a reason he was fired. If he was, you'd think there would be a reason. If it's an angle, you'd think they'd have a more solid reason.

I've read Dave for 20+ years... and I don't get what he's saying there. The first sentence is clear... after that, he just loses me.

John

I don't know about that, but on the radio show Dave elucidated that Cena, being the corporate man that he is, wouldn't go to bat for Daniels. And even his other twitter posts making fun of the stupid names on NXT are encouraged by the office, or something like that.