Jump to content
Pro Wrestling Only

khawk20

DVDVR 80s Project
  • Posts

    2584
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by khawk20

  1. Dave always hated the AWA. He never understood how the AWA style stayed so popular for so long. It likely skews even how he looks at the greats that came out of the AWA before his time. Anytime he mentions the AWA in any context, the facts vs. his opinion should be checked thoroughly before accepting the argument...if the argument seems to make sense to you to begin with.
  2. Please tell me there is footage of this. Ditto.
  3. Hart's involvement in Memphis vs. Heenan's in the AWA is really an apples-and-bananas type of comparison. Promotional strategies and TV product were too different. Hart was perfect for the Memphis style of TV and angle-building and Heenan was perfect in the AWA's "less is more" approach on the TV end of it. If you transplanted each into the other's territory and time frame, I don't think either would have been as effective, for what it's worth.
  4. I don't know whether to be outraged or start loling uncontrollably after reading that.
  5. Hearing the Bible translated into Pro Wres terms makes the whole thing sound incredibly retarded. He's doing his religious beliefs a huge disservice spelling out like he does.
  6. khawk20

    RAW tonight

    Perhaps they were counting on a lot of "Shit, I turned it off and missed it" being said the next day, so as to illustrate that viewers should watch the whole show because "anything can happen". Not likely, but even unintentionally I imagine it did that to a few people, and it did create a buzz amongst casual viewers and channel flippers as well. That's not a bad thing.
  7. lol, just made some points about this in the Random comments thread. Mine were more about how poor the audio seems to be. I couldn't hear what Abby was talking about to rate the content.
  8. ...so, on the Observer site, there is a link to the preview clip of the Abby shoot interview. One of the features they advertise is an "Original audio soundtrack". It's loud enough in the preview clip that you can't really hear anything Abby is saying. That ain't gonna stimulate sales, at all. One can only hope it's a marketing ploy to get people to want to buy the shoot to ehar what he actualy has to say. I have my doubts, though. If the audio is legit like that throughout the entire shoot, it's a FAIL already!
  9. Note from the latest WON: It wasn't Ian's first match in his hometown. He wrestled here as "Billy Fury" against Steve Strong on an International Wrestling card back in early 1987. He was really young and very skinny. I was at the match. Someone that e-mails Dave or posts at his website/board please let him know for me, thanks.
  10. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  11. We would just get confused when Duggan would come to a Canadian town and try to start "USA!" chants.
  12. -- The Midnights/Horsemen title change when Arn and Tully were leaving was supposed to be 2/3 falls, but was switched to one fall because one of the participants was in no condition to perform. Still, the match was **** Should we assume Tully is the participant that was "in no shape to perform" here?
  13. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  14. For context:
  15. Anyone ever see Lawler's cartoons about a couple of his Black opponents? Those are "holy shit" racist, as far as that goes. Lawler was the face at that time as well...I have them but I can't remember off the top of my head who they were portraying. Sonny King, maybe? Anyways I guess it illustrates that Lawler went the race route more than often with his Black opponents. Not sure if that's relevant to the discussion or not, just thought I'd throw it out there.
  16. I agree. I still think you start a new venture like this with someone that is more trustworthy to make it worth your time and money to kick it off. Abby fucking up their 3rd or 4th interview doesn't have the consequences attached that him fucking up their first one does. If it's actually good, though, you're right, they're off to the races.
  17. I broke this story on here two weeks ago. I’m looking forward to Abby kayfabing Bryan and the resulting 5 minutes of usable footage that it will produce. I thought I saw this here but couldn't remember, so I put up a post on the Comments thread with this update. My thoughts there seem to be echoed by those in this thread.
  18. Not sure if this was mentioned in this thread or not, but from the Tuesday Observer online update: Why would you start a Shoot DVD series interviewing Abdullah, of all people? that has potential to be both an incredibly shitty interview and a disaster for the shootitself if Abby decides to go off his meds and not co-operate on that day. Plus Abby telling the truth = lol. I've seen a few of Abby's shoots and they all sucked. His pro Wres Icons segment was the only thing relatively decent in that genre, and that was short and professionally put together, not your standard shoot fair. Is it fair to say they are trying to hit a home run and get a truly "Good" Abby shoot as their kickoff, as opposed to a safer choice that couldn't potentially screw it up for them?
  19. Off-topic sorta, and if this were true I can imagine there is a thread for it already here, but anyone ever see those Bowflex commercials with a "Bryan Alvarez" as the main focal point? How this little guy worked out with the bowflex and got all muscular (and very cocky too, going by the commercial). Just curious. This guy looks like he's younger than Alvarez could be, but I don't know how old he actually is.
  20. Pretty sure he was just called "The King" to explain why such an old dude had a chance against Hogan and others..."King of Wrestling", in terms of him being a wrestling Grandmaster. If that makes sense. Actually no, Race won the KOTR tournament, beating Pedro Morales in the final. It was a non televised event in 1986. Gotcha. I didn't think they were running it in the 80's.
  21. Pretty sure he was just called "The King" to explain why such an old dude had a chance against Hogan and others..."King of Wrestling", in terms of him being a wrestling Grandmaster. If that makes sense.
  22. reading that fake prom link made me embarassed to be part of the human race.
  23. That reminds me of a time a bunch of us crashed an online/on air chat with Jimmy Hart someone was doing. Basically Hart was taking questions on-air as read to him from an online chatroom. Someone asked him if he remembered managing against Dan "Crimson Mask" Chernau in Florida. Surprisingly, the name didn't ring a bell to him.
×
×
  • Create New...