Jump to content
Pro Wrestling Only

khawk20

DVDVR 80s Project
  • Posts

    2584
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by khawk20

  1. I loved the Apter Mags for the news and columns. Apter's news reports were a big deal in a pre-internet world when you lived in a smaller area with limited wrestling on your tv. Before we got the big C-band satellite in 85-86-ish, I relied on those mags to know what was going on. The articles I usually didn't pay too much attention to. Favourite catch-all phrase the Apter mags used to use: "It was a _________ display of wrestling ______." That came up probably in every one of their mags before 1990. "It was a savage display of wrestling fury.", "It was a magnificent display of wrestling science", etc. Shit, I bet when they audtioned writers this was a test question, to see how they would fill the blanks in. The Letter pages I would read, but I always wondered if some of the names that seemed to be in the letter section each month were the real people or the made-up ones. The name "Stephen Caruso" rings a bell as one of those always-got-their-letters-in-the-mag guys.
  2. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  3. I don't think I have anything to check with Buck before 1979 (one TV match with Bockwinkel, no intro other than the job-guy-name-announcment as I remember). Buck really didn't get any sort of push until he did a thing with Heenan circa 1979-81, where they did a Weasel suit bit around the horn. I'd be hard-pressed to say he came out with any sort of fanfare (i.e., entrance music) before that. I'll look into it a bit further.
  4. Agreed. It's common practice here to look towards Manitoba and Minnesota for leagues of any sort to participate in, given our location...my guess is that there just isn't anything happening they can get into there, yet. Plus travel costs is still a huge factor, even when talking about shorter distances than Southern Ontario.
  5. Are you looking for a specific issue or issues, or just issues in general?
  6. There is a "shoot" team up here in Thunder Bay. they've been looking to get into a league or get one started for a few years. They occasionally bring in teams for exhibition matches, but not very often.
  7. It go so ridiculous that they signed Brad Rheingans to come in and job on house shows to guys like Tiger Chung Lee, and this was circa 1988. Rheingans was still the centerpiece of Verne's training camp at the time (so I've heard). Guys that had defaulted to the higher spots on the card in the AWA, like perennial mid-carder Dave Petersen, were signed away as well and used primarily as jobbers. Hell, they even signed Baron Von Raschke away from Verne briefly to manage the Powers of Pain. The signing of Mexican stars is nothing like that was, imo. Vince was actively trying to put Verne out of business. if Vince was trying to do the same thing here, we'd all be able to tell.
  8. Shit. Thanks though.
  9. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  10. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  11. This is a must read, one of Meltzer's greatest issues. Really awesome stuff. What issue was it in? I'd like to read it.
  12. See, I've been into taping stuff at least as long as you have in terms of age started, but there was no online anything back then (circa 1985-86, whenI got my 2nd VCR). So, while I am a long-time taper, I'm a relatively short-term trader. Internet trading was already a big thing when I got into it.
  13. Bix 26: More shocking to me than Hogan joining the NWO. So Long from the 42-year-old State....
  14. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  15. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  16. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  17. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  18. Hoops Johnson is that guy's internet handle. He's been selling Rose tapes for years, and just got in a ton more after(?) Buddy passed.
  19. khawk20

    WWE channel

    Understood, but to digitalize 27,000 hours of footage...that has to go back a fair bit years-wise, doesn't it? I guess a definition of "Digitized" is needed, as I assume the programming they currently make is digitally archived. Question is, when did they start doing that with their programming? You'd have to measure the 27,000 hours moving backwards from there.
  20. khawk20

    WWE channel

    So, 27,000 hours = what percentage of their collection?
  21. One thing that stand out about this match is the absolute fervor that the crowd is in before, during, and after the bout. As intense as anything I've ever seen in North American Wrestling. Hot crowd does not a classic match make, but it can help it make a larger impression than it might make without it, for sure.
  22. Yep. Patera was as hot as a wrestler could get in 1980.
  23. This is out there, you should be able to find a copy of it.
  24. Outside of WOS, there is plenty of Robinson out there, from early 70's Japan to a UWFI Exhibition vs. Nick Bockwinkel in 1992.
  25. I remember this vividly because I was watching it at a bar (the bars here used to show the PPV's religiously, at multiple locations, and the crowds were huge), and when Nash won, at least three people threw something at the screen and one guy broke the door rushing out of the bar pissed off...slam-and smash. It was one of theose moments that you imagined being repeated every place that the card was being broadcast, honestly. Nobody wanted Nash to win indeed.
×
×
  • Create New...