Jump to content
Pro Wrestling Only

El-P

Members
  • Posts

    18681
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by El-P

  1. He'll probably get "You've still got it" and "You deserve it" chants back in the US instead. (On a side note, I find it quite ironic yet totally logical (when you actually think about it) that the born-again christian would come back for a huge fat check from the wahhabis...)
  2. Damn, Harold Meij is actually Jim Herd.
  3. When even Erdoğan is on the "babyface" side, you know things are really fucked up... Can't wait for the backlash.
  4. The booker wanted Ultimate Warrior to win...
  5. You mean the journalist who "disappeared" in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul ? Well, people do disappear in Istanbul these days, but yeah, it looks pretty fucking bad. Honestly it was only a matter of time before something like this popped up. They deserve all the shit, and more.
  6. Of course it is. Mercedes didn't impress me that much last year either. I did check out this match because of the hype, and yeah, what you said. But since it happened in the WWE, it's pimped like it was some kind of great match (whereas I'm sure Meiko had about a few hundred matches as good as this one in the last 20 years, and I was never a huge Meiko fan back in the days of joshi craze either, so it's not me assuming things about an old favourite).
  7. Acting class, probably.
  8. It's kind of funny that Steve Corino was never considered good enough for the holy WWE roster, but he's certainly good enough to train the future stars. Good for him though. Plus I guess the trainers get pension and health care.
  9. And there George Carlin pops up in my mind.
  10. The Flair shoot interview is addressed in details. The rest, not so much, it's a bunch of factual elements with Bruce rationalizing every step of the stop/start push without ever really giving a thought about why this guy never got over or why the booking never found a way to put him over (and I don't think there's much interesting told in term of context of the company at the time either). The episode to me was as dull and uninteresting as Carlito's career (and work). What shocked me though is how high Bruce seems to be on the guy, talking about him like he had It, like he was some kind of great worker. It's ironic that it begins with Corny thinking Carly was coasting in OVW and ending with Carly effectively coasting for years in the main roster. In the end, the one thing that can explain such a lackluster stint appears to be as simple as this...
  11. Because Nia being Australian doesn't go well with the story of her being related to The Rock and Roman Reigns, who are Samoans but good ol' red white & blue 'mericans, god damnit. She has to be from San Francisco and make a difference.
  12. So I've reached EP6. It slowly kinda progress into a nice little show, although some of the most über indieriffic matches I've really not cared about. Not too sure about the kinda revivalist stuff either as of now (I mean, trying to really go into full 80's mode with the Stud Stable... it's reaching). On the other hand, I've really enjoyed Schiavone on commentary. Salina de la Renta is quickly becoming a favourite of mine, she seems to be an excellent heel manager, which has been such a lost art. Tom Lawlor and Gotch are quite a good act too. Although I know it's different in nature and context, it kinda amuses me to think of Lucha Underground as ECW and MLW as SMW...
  13. I agree. Cody as a character and working along with Brandi as an old-school heel + valet >>>>> Cody by himself doing the modern workrate style match.
  14. DDPY update. 6 months in of using the App (+ one year of the old videos). I've done my best Extreme Psycho workout ever (got up on those damn extreme push-ups, no reps but going up twice was already a feat as far as I'm concerned) and finally hit the 10 Ten seconds push-ups today (ok, 7 done allright, the 8th was a struggle and the last two were as godawful as that Taker vs HHH aussie match, but I never hit the ground with my knees so it counts damnit!). Yay me.
  15. One thing that struck me, is that Ronda really looks like she's on the verge of being "just another girl", if that's not already the case. It's crazy, she should be nothing less than a super special attraction working very near or at the top of the cards (of course, we're not there yet in term of women in WWE). You know, kinda like Lesnar (except without the suckitude).
  16. He's both underrated (by Meltz, in this case) and overrated (by the "he's as good or better than the other Four Pillars" crowd). There has been points when he was actively bad when he was teaming with Jumbo or Kawada up to 95 (after that point, not so much anymore). His best stuff in NOAH is terrific, but overrated in the sense of it's been often portrayed as him "carrying overrated Kobashi/ broken Misawa", when it was clearly not the case. For instance, I just watched the infamous (and great) Kobashi title defense from 2004. Taue's best performance since the Nagata match. Yet, people are confusing the fact that he looked great and better than Kobashi and the fact that the story of the match was him looking great and better than Kobashi, while Kobashi had to give a more subtle, understated performance of a guy who was exhausted by his title reign and had to hang by a thread and use an killer death spot at the end to escape his fate. It has been described by some as "Taue carried Kobashi to a great match and reigned his worst head-dropping tendencies", while in reality, Taue was great at what he did, being a terrific offensive worker, but Kobashi actually made the match really great because of his performance and psychology.
  17. The ending was like the Curtain Call at the glue factory... (until the angle to set up the Saudi show of course, because that's what it was all about)
  18. Remember when the WWF was making fun of 45 year old Hulk Hogan main-eventing in WCW ? And now, we're having *this*. Australian fans deserved better.
  19. Yeah, it was not much better then...
  20. Taker's face is orange. A Hulk tribute maybe.
  21. Wow. I had not seen old Micheals yet. The arms though. He's training...
  22. This show is still going on ? Damn. I want to see the living-deads already.
  23. I enjoy the longer episodes too also. The last few shorter cards one felt very rushed and by-the-numbers. Carlito I couldn't give a shit to begin with, so I'm not expecting much (maybe some stuff about that piece of shit father of his ?).
  24. Ok, thanks for the clarification. I wasn't paying a lot of attention to that match, it was lunch time. Piss-break match now I guess.
×
×
  • Create New...