Pro Wrestling Only

WON 2010

Dan

I would agree that Dave needs to expand his voting pool, but I could see him being very resistent to it. I would be curious to see how strictly he defines his "reporter" and "historian" categories. Do you automatically move from "random reader/fan" to "reporter" by writing articles for his site? What qualifies someone as a historian? I'm guessing if someone handed Dave a list of names of internet message board experts he would discount them as simply fans who happen to watch a lot of stuff thus unworthy of a ballot just because they aren't "official" reporters or historians. I would dare say there are many more "internet fans" who have a wider breadth of knowledge than some of the alleged experts who do vote. But it's not like Dave would probably take the time to see weigh anybody's credentials.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has it ever been relevant? I mean, I have some friends that are pretty big wrestling fans. They have followed it since the 80's. They keep up with stuff online. Not as much as the people who frequent this board, but they're pretty up on stuff. They may have heard of Meltzer, but I'd seriously doubt they even know he has a hall of fame. I'm just saying that even within wrestling fans, it's a pretty small segment that even know it exists.

It's the closest thing wrestling has to a real HOF, but after 2003 (when Dave really started crowing about the Hall being great because there are so many workers who have the vote) and 2004 (when the really silly inductees like Angle, Ultimo, and Sakuraba started going in), it's definitely no longer close enough. It's a neat curiosity at this point, but nothing more, and basically needs to be scrapped and started from scratch by some other party, as Dave and his followers are clearly too far gone by this point to handle it themselves.

It's the closest thing wrestling has to a real HOF

What about these guys:

http://www.pwhf.org/halloffamers/inductees.asp

I realize there's probably inductees here that would cause people to raise eyebrows and that they've gone overboard with some category (hello, ladies!), but with the age and experience restrictions being much stronger than Meltzer's (and close to some of the suggestions tossed around in this thread) it's closer to being a real HOF IMO.

I have no knowledge about that Thesz/Tragos HOF, on the other hand.

PWHF is definitely getting better over the years. It's early growing pains do hurt it, though.

Thesz/Tragos was all about "legitimacy" and Lou protecting his version of wrestling history. That's been sloooooooooooooooooowly starting to let up since Lou's death, but it's definitely the least of the three halls.

The PWO Hall of Fame might be kinda interesting. If nothing else, we'd be rather stringent in who we let in, what with us being the most negative message board about anything in the entire internet.

I'd like to nominate Davey Richards as the first inductee of the Pro Wrestling Only Hall of Fame.

Man, let's wait until ResidentEvil's inevitable return before we go back to taking potshots at his shitty wrestling aesthetic.

Let's instead nominate Bryan Alvarez for the Journalist's Wing of the PWO Hall.

I'd like to nominate Davey Richards as the first inductee of the Pro Wrestling Only Hall of Fame.

Man, let's wait until ResidentEvil's inevitable return before we go back to taking potshots at his shitty wrestling aesthetic.

Alright. Can I ironically nominate Mark Henry since there is no way anyone could seriously think he's good?

Alright. Can I ironically nominate Mark Henry since there is no way anyone could seriously think he's good?

Don't forget Dustin Rhodes!