Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-01-10-FMW] Aja Kong vs Combat Toyoda

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

This match starts as a crazy brawl, but is actually way better when it turns into a wrestling match, since these two are better than that. Cool to see Joshi paced like this, as it's not the typical style at all. Really good battle of the bulls mixed in with some great suplexes, almost like a female version of a Steve Williams/Terry Gordy match.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The stuff after the match was a little weird. I thought Aja would have attacked her again?

Combat, Kudo, Aja, Bison & Kaoru were all part of the same class in AJW so they're old friends from years back.

This is a "hey I wanna wrestle all my old buddies 1 last time before retiring" match essentially.

There were a bunch of those around this time. Combat vs Kaoru, Combat/Kudo vs Aja/Bison, Combat vs Bison, etc...

Aja's "bitch, I will end you" attitude never gets old, and I love when she nonchalantly uses her trashcan to block Combat's suicide dive.

Good stuff, which should not be a shock. These two know how to bring it when motivated. Incidentally, Combat doesn't seem nearly as big against Aja as she does against Kudome.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer seeing Aja killing some size 0 chick, but the irresistible force vs immovable object portion of the match was very cool. Kong's backfist is a nice finisher. It is believable as I can see even some men getting knocked out for four or five good seconds from it.

I know this subject has been mentioned in another match down the line (looked ahead while waiting for my set) but I do not like when they hug each other and walk back to the ring. I understand it is an easy way to quickly get back to the ring while calling your spots, but I would prefer them to stay closer to the ring if they can't beat each other up and back. Maybe a little too critical but something that I have grown to dislike about modern brawling.

I know this subject has been mentioned in another match down the line (looked ahead while waiting for my set) but I do not like when they hug each other and walk back to the ring. I understand it is an easy way to quickly get back to the ring while calling your spots, but I would prefer them to stay closer to the ring if they can't beat each other up and back. Maybe a little too critical but something that I have grown to dislike about modern brawling.

Seriously, it just obliterates the suspension of disbelief. They can just trade blows while staggering in the general direction of the ring, and unless they're at a huge venue it won't take that long.

• 2 years later...

Hollinger's comment on how modern day US indy draws from this kind of match is spot on, though most modern day indy guys wish they had the presence of these 2. I was at a Championship Wrestling from Hollywood show where 2 guys who maxed out at around 160lbs tried to pull off this type of match and it was horrible. This works because they both have the physical charisma to make all the "respect" spots seem tough rather than silly or affected.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I got into this a good deal and really like the variety we are seeing on the first bit of 1996 footage and where short matches have stepped up and delivered. This had good brawling aspects and a dramatic finish and post match. They played up the hoss-battle aspects of the match well. (***1/2)

• 3 weeks later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1996-01-10-FMW] Aja Kong vs Combat Toyoda
  • 3 years later...

I didn’t think the brawling section was too bad but it definitely didn’t add too much, other than the hilarious counter to the suicide dive. When they get back in the ring and it becomes a battle of the bombs, it’s really good. Combat drops Aja with a nasty German halfway through, maybe she watched Vader/Inoki from the week previous.