Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-02-11-WCW-Superbrawl VI] Ric Flair vs Randy Savage (Cage)

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Weird match. Flair stalls so long early on that it kills the heat a little when they finally lock up. Then they get the crowd back into it and Savage goes for a quick nearfall early on, and the ref isn't there to count because he's fumbling locking the cage. It takes a while for the match to get going again, but when it does, it's very good, with Flair doing all his 80s-era cage spots, like having his trunks pulled down, crotching himself on the ring ropes, etc.

Good Flair performance after some early problems, and a great memorable angle at the end with Liz handing Flair her shoe and turning on Savage, helping Flair win his 13th world title.

• 4 weeks later...

The production of this is great. Apparently WCW cannot show blood at this point, so from the time Flair begins to bleed on they try not to show Flair's head at all. So this means it's all lower body shots of Savage and Flair fighting or wide angle shots. They also cut away when Flair is doing his full-moon spot. They last five minutes this turned into a radio broadcast.

Oh yes, let's not forget about Michael Buffer: "He is accompanied to the ring by a woman."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What about the weird moment in the pre-match throw to the commentators. Heenan has his back to the camera and Tony is trying to get him to turn around. Heenan turns one way and gets tangled in his headset wire and then turns fully around. For this and the one after the strap match Heenan just looks miserable.

• 2 years later...

Mean Gene talks about Savage walking the Razor’s Edge. Big hint towards future happenings of WCW in 96. Flair takes out the referee early which is questionable when you are chasing the title. That might be the quickest referee recovery ever. Dusty with the “she handed the shoe to Flair”! Elizabeth has turned on Savage which is big I guess. Hogan takes his aggression out on Arn and lets Flair escape the cage.

• 6 months later...

Better than I remembered. But damn, Buffer fucking up Flair's intro, the ref being inept at closing the door and making a superman comeback, the bell sounding at the wrong time, the wide shots and cut away from the blood and the ass, what a production disaster. Enjoyed the match more than I ever did though, Savage's selling was excellent, Flair brought back tons of fun spots, the best being falling crotch first on the top rope while showing ass (litteraly). The woman shoe is officialy the most lethal foreign object ever, it beat the MegaPowers. Liz's turn was a really nice twist that freshened the scene and gave Flair his last great stint as a character.

• 11 months later...

In the pre-match promos, Woman begins her bizarre gimmick of constantly attempting to seduce Mean Gene. Savage cuts off a Liz interview, just like old times. They also say the word "MegaPowers" like 30 times, so apparently that trademark lapsed or was discovered not to have existed.

Lots of "Oh, WCW" moments here. The goofiness with the door, the idiot timekeeper, the wide shot once Flair starts bleeding, the weird bit with Flair punching out the referee for no reason, and I don't know what the hell was up with the constant moonings, but it was ridiculous and borderline uncomfortable. Also, Flair for some reason turns into Sportatorium Lawler, stalling and working the mic before the match. That said, they picked the intensity up as the match went along and the ending is a shock among shocks. WCW would top themselves with shocking heel turns not once but twice more in the next few months, but Liz turning heel was a moment that blindsided everybody at the time even if it would get overshadowed later.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what to think about this match. There were portions I really liked but most things just felt off from a production standpoint, from Flair's frame of reference and even Savage with his comebacks. It is a match I want to like more giving the buildup and the moment of Flair regaining and the Liz turn which is pretty shocking, but there is just too many moments of oddness and Flair was more interested in literally showing his ass than having a great match for some reason. ***

• 2 years later...

Odd match. Something about February cage matches with Ric Flair in WCW. Flair randomly knocks out the ref early on, but he gets up and keeps reffing. Savage actually takes a shot at the ref later, too, and it's not really acknowledged. Other than the weird moments, match isn't bad but did nothing for me, and I was ready for it to end well before it did.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-02-11-WCW-Superbrawl VI] Ric Flair vs Randy Savage (Cage)