Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
Charles (Loss)

[1996-11-11-WCW-Nitro] Music Video: Roddy Piper

A fan sends in a European music video of Roddy Piper from 1992, which is TERRIBLE.

This is supposed to make it clear that Piper wants Hogan, since there are Piper vs Hogan marquees mixed in the video, which I didn't think needed to be clarified.

The video is like an extended Mentos commercial. The extended talking sequence at the end is borderline unbearable.

Not having the yearbook yet, not remembering enough about the live show, and having had a recap show version on tape for years: Was there crowd noise from the arena on the original live Nitro during the video? The recap version I had was filled with what sounded like ridiculously canned cheers.

That was exactly what I thought. But Kevin Sullivan's biggest weakness as a booker was always that he had trouble just spelling things out clearly. He sometimes liked to be vague and mysterious for no reason except to be vague and mysterious. He did it with the Hogan/Savage build, the Hogan/Piper build, not spelling out that Woman was his wife in the Benoit feud and probably a few other times that are escaping me too.

It wasn't supposed to make Piper look like an ass. It was suppose to make him look like an charismatic international superstar who successfully branched out into music (and wanted a match with Hogan).

Piper's video wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting. He should've come out the next week and shown a Hulk Hogan music video. 'Hulk Rules' was such a great album.

After the initial surprise at Havoc, the build really pettered out with kinda useless Hogan promos and this kind of stuff which was stupid. I don't know how much it was Sullivan's thing and how much it was Hogan, Piper and Bischoff, really.

Still as WTF now as it was then. This is essentially a 3-minute Mentos ad. There are brief shots of a Hogan vs. Piper marquee, so this is evidently proof that Piper wants Hogan in a match. Yeah, why couldn't Piper just cut a promo saying as much?

Holy shit, I can't even believe what I just saw. WCW has very few missteps between now and Starrcade 97 but this makes Pipers crazy Alcatraz promo look like a stroke of genius in building a match.