Pro Wrestling Only

Some things I learned watching Tough Enough

El-P

1 - spitting blood is cool because it shows the guy really wants it

2 - girls are supposed to be exactly as strong as 200 pounds guys and should go through the *exact* same training

3 - WWE workers are all able to stand on the top rope and do squats. Ask HHH, he can do it for hours

4 - wrestlers work injured and that's the bizness. Ask HHH, he tore his quad once, and he keep on going.

5 - Bill Demott who did exactly nothing but be a JTTS on Nitro, and who got a slight push when there was nobody else on the roster and when his ring-name was Hugh G Rection, is a great trainer.

6 - Luke has accomplished exactly zilch but is already as annoying as Shawn Micheals in 1995.

7 - Booker T. has his head deep into HHH's ass (cf 3).

8 - Trish Stratus looks not a day under 40.

9 - Guys with short hairs are the best.

10 - I wish there was a camera in Verne Gagne's camp back in the mid-70's

Man, this show is kinda fun for Austin's usually great promos at the end and Demott being a dick, but otherwise, what a bunch of bullshit. Were the other edition the same kind of nonsense ? Anyway, it's still the first weekly WWE programming I'm following since I stopped watching RAW 12 years ago. I guess Austin is a draw.

One of the rare times I totally agree with Alvarez was, I think, in their recap of last week's show. "Luke's by far the best contestant left, but can he do anything that Alex Riley can't? Isn't he just a smaller version of Alex Riley?".

The other edition's eliminations made alot more sense. I just watched TE 1 and TE 3 in the last few days and I think they are overall better. The shows are only 30 minutes so they fly by and by the end, you feel for everyone. They all end up seeming like mostly decent people and they aren't made to look like idiots. If someone looked like they needed to go, then they did and early! That's my biggest problem with this season as everyone except for 3 guys has been pushed as a loser and incompetent. What is also interesting is that they had them learning double the moves in half the time as this crew. Even Bill Demott seemed like a decent guy in season 3.

I'm sick of Trish on this show. Just shut up Trish, please. You never annoyed me until this show.

5 - Bill Demott who did exactly nothing but be a JTTS on Nitro, and who got a slight push when there was nobody else on the roster and when his ring-name was Hugh G Rection, is a great trainer.

While you're totally right about Demott really not ever being much of a player, that really doesn't have anything to do with how effective he can be as a trainer. Let me preface this by saying that I really don't know of anyone who's done anything after training with Demott. He may totally suck for all I know. I'm just saying that there are numerous examples in sports of guys who weren't that great of players being great coaches. Tony Larussa only played a handful of games in the majors, but is one of the greatest baseball managers of all time. Bobby Knight played college basketball but never went pro, yet he is one of the greatest coaches ever.

I agree with most of what you posted. Just remember that this is a reality competition. Doing squats on the top rope (or doing most of the shit they do) doesn't really have any bearing on whether or not someone's going to be a great wrestler. But it does make for good tv. Everything done on this show is for that purpose.

While you're totally right about Demott really not ever being much of a player, that really doesn't have anything to do with how effective he can be as a trainer. Let me preface this by saying that I really don't know of anyone who's done anything after training with Demott. He may totally suck for all I know. I'm just saying that there are numerous examples in sports of guys who weren't that great of players being great coaches.

I know. I admit it was just a cheap knock on Demott, who I actually enjoyed as a worker. But as you said, it's not like anyone he would have trained became anything. And really, although great worker doesn't equal great trainer, I'm scratching my head at the thought of Lance Storm for instance, teaching people how to work : "ok, so this is how you throw a shitty punch. this is how you throw a dropkick in the corner that look like it wouldn't hurt a fly."

Just remember that this is a reality competition. Doing squats on the top rope (or doing most of the shit they do) doesn't really have any bearing on whether or not someone's going to be a great wrestler. But it does make for good tv. Everything done on this show is for that purpose.

Yea, I know, it's supposed to be a bunch of bullshit anyway. Actually it adds up to the idea that WWE really isn't "wrestling" anymore.

Have you noticed how the WWE superstars's intervention are totally useless ? I was expecting Big Show to chokeslam some of these guys...

Have you noticed how the WWE superstars's intervention are totally useless ? I was expecting Big Show to chokeslam some of these guys...

I loved Mysterio talking about teamwork. Pro wrestling is one of the most back-stabbin-est businesses there is. At least Morrison helped that girl off of the rope thingy.

Eh, I'm a sucker for reality TV (even exceptionally bad reality TV, like Bad Girls Club) so I have watched every episode of Tough Enough so far. I guess I dig it, although no one on the entire show, sans Rima whom already was eliminated, stands out to me as someone that could go anywhere in wrestling. It also does not really feel natural at all and the majority of the stuff that they are doing seems to favor small people.

Something I've never been clear on: Is wrestling training typically 100% bumping and moves, or do most camps also teach psychology?

It varies from place to place. Some barely even halfway train you how to do basic moves right before you "graduate". Others will teach you psychology, give you advice on business practices, help you get your first bookings, etcetera. Depends on the individual trainer.

Something I've never been clear on: Is wrestling training typically 100% bumping and moves, or do most camps also teach psychology?

It varies from place to place. Some barely even halfway train you how to do basic moves right before you "graduate". Others will teach you psychology, give you advice on business practices, help you get your first bookings, etcetera. Depends on the individual trainer.

And some will teach you a life lesson about getting ripped off!

A buddy of mine who lives in Reno just told me today that a local promotion wants him to be a manager while they train him. He is REALLY tall and not skinny, but he's a little old to start. In return he pays 100 bucks a month, gets them on UStream, and drive a few guys to shows.

He's fully aware of what's going on, but he's tempted to check it out anyway.

A buddy of mine who lives in Reno just told me today that a local promotion wants him to be a manager while they train him. He is REALLY tall and not skinny, but he's a little old to start. In return he pays 100 bucks a month, gets them on UStream, and drive a few guys to shows.

What do you mean, gets them on UStream? Is this an online wrestling school? If so, that's the most hilarious thing I've heard in a while. But even beside that, it sounds like a scam. If they're making you transport employees to the show in your own car, you shouldn't be paying them money for that "privilege".

What do you mean, gets them on UStream? Is this an online wrestling school? If so, that's the most hilarious thing I've heard in a while. But even beside that, it sounds like a scam. If they're making you transport employees to the show in your own car, you shouldn't be paying them money for that "privilege".

My pal does a U Stream show that's sorta popular with a small group of people. Apparently, no one at this promotion knows how to broadcast their taped show on U Stream..

I know, I know..

If he's providing not only transportation for the workers but also a distribution outlet for their product, they probably shouldn't be charging him a fucking dime. Your friend sounds like he's being exploited. Of course it depends on plenty of variables, like how much in-ring training time he's getting and the credentials of his trainers and stuff like that, but it sounds like he's going way above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to doing extra favors for the promotion.

If he's providing not only transportation for the workers but also a distribution outlet for their product, they probably shouldn't be charging him a fucking dime. Your friend sounds like he's being exploited. Of course it depends on plenty of variables, like how much in-ring training time he's getting and the credentials of his trainers and stuff like that, but it sounds like he's going way above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to doing extra favors for the promotion.

Like I said, he hasn't spent dollar one yet. He's FULLY aware of what's going on. He's just interested in looking into it so he can "do wrestling" at least once.

Back when he was a JTTS on Nitro, DeMott was able to do a hell of a moonsault.

Regarding Johnny Sorrow's friend, if he's smart enough to know he's getting taken advantage of, he should be smart enough to avoid it. It seems perfectly reasonable that he could help with rides and do the UStream thing in place of paying them.

• 2 weeks later...

Eh, I'm a sucker for reality TV (even exceptionally bad reality TV, like Bad Girls Club) so I have watched every episode of Tough Enough so far. I guess I dig it, although no one on the entire show, sans Rima whom already was eliminated, stands out to me as someone that could go anywhere in wrestling. It also does not really feel natural at all and the majority of the stuff that they are doing seems to favor small people.

Really? I've never watched one second of this show but even I know she was absolutely clueless at wrestling and only stayed as long as she did because she had some name recognition. The gif of her doing a faceplant trying to do a front bump was on every message board on the internet.

Even if she had a shred of ability, I wouldn't trust WWE to do anything with her that didn't involve them revealing she's Mohammad Hassan's long lost sister who declared fatwa on the other divas.

Ah ah, they totally buried Luke just to fuck with him. That said, he has nothing to bring to the table. Looks like a miniature Randy Orton.

Andy could be your second rate Test. The final moments was so all about nostalgia and so not about Tough Enough it's funny. This show as all bullshit from the get-go, and the final really proved that.

Well, at least Austin was great. I would watch another season with more Austin.

Most important thing learned from Tough Enough: wrestling shows with Steve Austin are more entertaining than wrestling shows without Steve Austin, even if they are in a shitty reality show format with a bunch of dudes nobody will ever care about ever again.

Most important thing learned from Tough Enough: wrestling shows with Steve Austin are more entertaining than wrestling shows without Steve Austin, even if they are in a shitty reality show format with a bunch of dudes nobody will ever care about ever again.

Pretty much. This was the first weekly WWE program I have followed since I stopped watching RAW in the summer of 1999.

Bryan and Dave though that selling Vince's slap and falling to the floor was the right reaction. While I thought standing there and taking it would have been the "right" option. No?

Am I wrong?

Andy will probably never amount to anything in WWE anyway, let's be honest. So, bump for a slap from Mr. MacMahon and take a stunner will probably end up being his most famous moments in the company.