Pro Wrestling Only

Pro Wrestling Magazine Memories(NOT from WWF Magazine)

Johnny Sorrow

Ging by past history it's probably the production schedule.

Wrestler and Inside Wrestling have been the same double magazine for a few years now.

It amazes me that they've survived in any form.

That's super lame and Ive always thought that even pre-internet. Powerslam was only 10 days or so behind.

Speaking of Powerslam has anyone ever met or had any dealings with Ernie "Stately Wayne Manor" Santilli:

http://www.swmswm.com/

Ging by past history it's probably the production schedule.

Wrestler and Inside Wrestling have been the same double magazine for a few years now.

It amazes me that they've survived in any form.

That's super lame and Ive always thought that even pre-internet. Powerslam was only 10 days or so behind.

Speaking of Powerslam has anyone ever met or had any dealings with Ernie "Stately Wayne Manor" Santilli:

http://www.swmswm.com/

Boy is that a name from the past!

Similarly, I wonder what happened to Carmine DeSpirito/Hubie Marx, and WME's heel writers Sir Jonathan Boyd, "Flamboyant" Freddie Fargo, and (especially) Al "Chump Hogan/Stink/Flex Loser" McGinnis?

Someone in the States satisfy my curiousness what issue of PWI is on US newstands currently? Over here it is the post Mania issue. Are we behind or is that just the production schedule.

I also saw the Wrestler and Inside Wrestling as a double magazine this morning.

The PWI currently on the news stand has Cena on the cover with a yellow background, asking if he can stay on top with Rock in his head. (Not sure of the month listed on it)

It's amazing to me all the Apter mags are in circulation. I lost interest in them totally by 2000 when I followed WrestleZone. You would think such a niche market would have fallen, considering the receeding interest in print media over the last decade.

I never liked that the PWI year-end issue was always out around New Year's Day, thus not able to cover anything that happened from November to December.

This shit fucked me up as a kid....

Posted Image

I loved that cover.

That also was the one SRW a year to get: the one that covered Starcade. I ordering all the Back Issues of the "March" SRW's to get the coverage of the full Starcade cards. Which leads to...

PWI, Wrestler, and Inside Wrestling were all monthly for sure...I think Sports Review Wrestling might have been as well. The rest were all quarterlies or short runs, IIRC.

Exactly. Those were the big four. Sports Review Wrestling was always the "red headed step child" of the line, but I remember it being my favorite one.

It was the sorta step child, though it did get the big bone of Starcade. I also seem to recall it got the Analysis Articles. I want to say that the article that ranked Brody as the #1 All Around Wrestler in 1986ish was in SRW, along with other things like that.

As far as the publications, you sort of got a sense of them if you happened to be anal about getting all the Rankings in a given year (or for several years like I did), you ended up with:

Monthly

Pro Wrestling Illustrated

Inside Wrestling

Sports Review Wrestling

The Wrestler

Quarterly

Wrestling USA

There probably were some other quarterlies... I want to see there was a second primary one like Wrestling USA, and then a few semi-regular picture related ones. But combined that would be 48 rankings in the monthlies, and another 4 from the quarterlies.

At the time I always thought it was dumb for them to do four different mags a month and that instead they would be better off taking their anchor (PWI) weekly. PWI sold more than all of the other ones, so get it out there.

In hindsight, the points seemed to be:

* 4 allows each on a month to sell rather than a week

* 4 gets more shelf space

* 4 let them put different features in different mags

* 4 *might* have allowed you to ignore how behind "current" they were

I think the top one was probably the most important. We also probably could look at any given "month" where stuff would be on the shelf and see a cover with Hogan on it... so Hogan Fan had at least one mag at any given time he might want to pull off.

Anyway...

The other issue I liked a lot at the time was the 1986 issue that covered all of the GAB shows. Thought it was really coll to see how all the cards were laid out, even in those pre-WON years my brain thinking about how they fit together. :)

John

I always thought PWI's greatest remaining marketability would be their photo library. They should do a coffee table book series.

I'm gonna have to disagree there. For historical purposes maybe, but it's certainly not as interesting as what was in WWF magazines. I remember the magazine that came with the PPV purchase of Wrestlemania X. It was pictures of every match from 1 through 9, and they looked brilliant. Of all the mags I ever collected and eventually lost for whatever reason, I still wish I had that one.

That said, I always thought the articles were more interesting in the Apter mags. You could tell it was coming from a true fan's perspective, which was nice. And for whatever reason, I was always obsessed with reading the card results of house shows and such. Especially the little section at the end with cards from the 60's and 70's.

It's amazing to me all the Apter mags are in circulation. I lost interest in them totally by 2000 when I followed WrestleZone. You would think such a niche market would have fallen, considering the receeding interest in print media over the last decade.

I never liked that the PWI year-end issue was always out around New Year's Day, thus not able to cover anything that happened in October or December.

Oh, the Year End Issue with the Awards? Shit, that was my favorite. I loved the "fan awards" which could be really funny. The first examples of "smarky jokes" would be in there.

Speaking of Sports Review Wrestling, does anyone remember the OJ Simpson issue? The feature was some sort of crazy fanfic with various wrestlers and personalities playing the roles of the players in the Simpson trial.

I can relate to what Blehschmidt says about feeling like a kid in some respects by reading them. The Apter mags were intrinsic to my childhood, between my father, grandparents, and uncles they were everywhere. I remember thumbing through them before I could even read, just looking at the pictures.

To add to your list, John, two other quarterly mags were the Wrestling 83, Wrestling 84, Wrestling 85, etc. that RZombie and I are both big fans of, and there was also "Wrestling Superstars"

I always thought PWI's greatest remaining marketability would be their photo library. They should do a coffee table book series.

Given that the WWF is using their photo library so much, I wonder if the WWF has bought exclusive rights to use the old photo library.

That might curtail the coffee-table book idea, if true.

PWI had a run of mags in 1982-83 where they had great single-wrestler shots on the cover. It made the mags seem classier than the other magazines of the era, even the other Apter mags, which tended to use action shots on the cover. It really helped them sell the idea that PWI was a step above all the other mags of the time.

I just remembered this last night...

I remember one of the PWI columnists ripping the first WCW Uncensored PPV to shreds for being so tame. They specifically attacked WCW for editing the "blacktop brawl." The column completely tore it apart, revealing that WCW filmed it the day before and were disgusted by the bleeding so they clipped it together. Their phrase was "edited down to cleanliness." The author said that Turner Broadcasting had a very strict no-violence policy and WCW was using a bait-and-switch knowing full well they couldn't get away with putting on an ECW-style card. I think it was a year later that Vince wrote his trademark Nasty Letter to Turner tattling on Eric Bischoff for advertising that there would be blood shed in the main event cage matches at SuperBrawl.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure many on here are on my side of the Atlantic besides kjh but Ive been really impressed with Fighting Spirit magazine ever since they got a new editor. As the previous editor had a man crush on Bryan Alvarez copying Bryan's style of writing in the magazine with ~!s and humour only people who subscribed to F4W would get. The magazine would have really shitty stuff like eight page fantasy booking articles and Alex Shane conspiracy theory stuff all on the worst quality paper imaginable. While it's competitor Powerslam was no better as it is intensely negative and it would have stuff like 4 page Batista & Edge retrospectives seeming every month.

Anyway....

I think this month's issue is the best yet. As with previous issues they have been using well known internet figures/bloggers along with bringing back John Lister, known for his work with Powerslam magazine during it's glory days in the mid to late 90s. This month's issue in particular has some really interesting and/or original articles:

Rob Naylor on Tozawa's US stint

John Lister on the traditional of Wrestling in Summer Camps in the UK

Alan (4L) Counihan on WWE Superstars and another article on wrestlers in their 40s who can still go

Phil Schneider on the history of lucha aka Phil introduces UK teenagers to IWRG

Sorry if this is too schilly but I am really enjoying the magazine's direction after years of swearing off Wrestling magazines in general.

Not sure many on here are on my side of the Atlantic besides kjh but Ive been really impressed with Fighting Spirit magazine ever since they got a new editor.

With you here although haven't got this month's issue yet (is it just out in the last few days?)

I picked up FSM a while ago and thought it was god-awful; gave it another try a few months back and could barely believe it was the same magazine. Lots of interesting articles, a couple of good pages about the UK scene, and decent variety in what's covered. Very impressed!

Not sure many on here are on my side of the Atlantic besides kjh but Ive been really impressed with Fighting Spirit magazine ever since they got a new editor. As the previous editor had a man crush on Bryan Alvarez copying Bryan's style of writing in the magazine with ~!s and humour only people who subscribed to F4W would get. The magazine would have really shitty stuff like eight page fantasy booking articles and Alex Shane conspiracy theory stuff all on the worst quality paper imaginable. While it's competitor Powerslam was no better as it is intensely negative and it would have stuff like 4 page Batista & Edge retrospectives seeming every month.

I haven't purchased any wrestling mags for years, but Brian Elliott posts over on the UKFF and usually is very open to any constructive criticism and listens to what the readers have to say. The general opinion is that the magazine has improved greatly sice he took over the editorialship, and the main issues that people seem to have are the columns from Bill Apter (stopped being relevant over a decade ago) and RD Reynolds (generally considered not funny and a poor writer).

One of my friends purchases Powerslam monthly and I will usually read that if ever I am over at his house (he lives the other end of the UK to me), and I am surprised that people still purchase this. If a magazine is 'going through the motions' then this clearly is; A4 full page photos, A3 center poster, a page of house show results, peoples twitter postings, internet forum posts, stuff what the commentators said, a two page neverending history of PPVs, a letters page, This Year in Powerslam, another page of photos, DVD reviews, Stately Wayne... Fin is clearly picking just picking up his cheque and has been for years now.

I haven't purchased any wrestling mags for years, but Brian Elliott posts over on the UKFF and usually is very open to any constructive criticism and listens to what the readers have to say. The general opinion is that the magazine has improved greatly sice he took over the editorialship, and the main issues that people seem to have are the columns from Bill Apter (stopped being relevant over a decade ago) and RD Reynolds (generally considered not funny and a poor writer).

I skip both of them as well as Lance Storm's (I hear him enough on F4W) and Nic Aldis'd (TNA schilling & the politically safest article of all times) article. All of that is buried in the back of the magazine in fairness. I dont know how much of a draw Bill, R.D. and Nic are in a UK newsstand in 2011. Apter really annoys me with all he has seen and done he only ever offers the same dozen or so stories over and over. Much prefer those columns to be taken out of the magazine and some of the main articles be given an extra page or so.

One of my friends purchases Powerslam monthly and I will usually read that if ever I am over at his house (he lives the other end of the UK to me), and I am surprised that people still purchase this. If a magazine is 'going through the motions' then this clearly is; A4 full page photos, A3 center poster, a page of house show results, peoples twitter postings, internet forum posts, stuff what the commentators said, a two page neverending history of PPVs, a letters page, This Year in Powerslam, another page of photos, DVD reviews, Stately Wayne... Fin is clearly picking just picking up his cheque and has been for years now.

What can you say? After all these years and changes Powerslam is still in business so Finlay must be doing something right. But yeah it is the same magazine I used to buy 5 years ago.

Not sure many on here are on my side of the Atlantic besides kjh but Ive been really impressed with Fighting Spirit magazine ever since they got a new editor...

I think this month's issue is the best yet. As with previous issues they have been using well known internet figures/bloggers along with bringing back John Lister, known for his work with Powerslam magazine during it's glory days in the mid to late 90s. This month's issue in particular has some really interesting and/or original articles:

Rob Naylor on Tozawa's US stint

John Lister on the traditional of Wrestling in Summer Camps in the UK

Alan (4L) Counihan on WWE Superstars and another article on wrestlers in their 40s who can still go

Phil Schneider on the history of lucha aka Phil introduces UK teenagers to IWRG

Have now picked this up and would definitely agree with you, particularly on the Listers, Counihan and Schenider articles. Also thought the interview with Fit Finlay was interesting and I REALLY like their DVD reviews.