Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-01-18-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Hulk Hogan

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Hogan recaps all of his big programs since 1984 and talks about how every time there has been a major challenge, he and his Hulkamaniacs have overcome it. Footage is shown of Andre, Savage, Earthquake, Slaughter and Undertaker while he's talking.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Nice recap of some of Hogan's major programs, with video footage to boot. Like I said about the "Update" with the Mountie title win, this is the sort of stuff you don't see on RAW anymore that I wish we could. Aside from perhaps a quick video clip from the week before or the previous night's PPV. Typical Hogan promo.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The Warrior has been Stalinized from history, but I'm surprised to see acknowledgment of the MegaPowers explosion considering Savage was a babyface now. Even the Slaughter footage sort of undermines what they were trying to do with him. Still a very cool little historical piece that the WWF didn't typically go for. Hogan whines about that nearsighted Jack Tunney, ignores Ric Flair, and calls out Savage and Sid Justice instead.

• 1 year later...

Hogan completely ignoring Flair really sticks out like a sore thumb when Flair a week earlier sold that his feud with Hogan was more important to him than the Rumble match and the WWF title up for grabs too. That's just plain odd, even though the promo itself was a good way of getting over how Hogan usually overcame the insurmountable odds thrown at him.

• 10 months later...

There was no mention of how Hogan had won the last two Rumbles, which was strange.

The nods to history were nice, and like a few others have said, quite unexpected in the context of 1992 WWF.

I didn't like the shot at Tunney, nor did I like the fact that out of the three people Hogan called out, two (Savage and Sid) were faces. One would have been sufficient to get over the "every man for himself" bit. The fact that Flair wasn't one of the people called out signified just how done Hogan (and Vince) were with him already, at least as far as being "The Man" was concerned. MSG three weeks ago killed almost all desire I have to see Flair touch Hogan ever again, and, quite frankly, it's diluted Flair's Rumble performance for me as well, mostly because I'm almost sure Flair would never have even sniffed the belt if Hogan hadn't been scheduled to go away after Mania and Vince hadn't needed a transitional heel champ for Savage to beat.

On a much more somber note, Mean Gene's liver disease is beginning to be noticeable here. He's not as drawn as he'd be later on in WCW, but he's doesn't quite have the (relatively) youthful appearance he's had since his AWA days. I wouldn't be surprised if his sickness was as much of a factor in the downfall of his work as the cheesier atmosphere of Attitude Era-WCW.

• 1 year later...

A cool promo from Hulk with a lot of backstory and clips added in. However, after the clips he gets really heelish and cultish talking about how he is going to force Tunney to see things his way. The tonal shift was odd and the close up shot on an intense Hogan made the tone of the promo off from what they probably intended.

• 6 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1992-01-18-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Hulk Hogan