Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-02-01-SMW-TV] Interview: Jim Cornette

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

It's the first episode of SMW! SMW doesn't have an official backdrop yet, just a white sheet. Cornette lays out the SMW mission, talks about how WCW buried the Midnights and how corporations have destroyed wrestling in a quick, yet really good promo.

It's the first episode of SMW! SMW doesn't have an official backdrop yet, just a white sheet. Cornette lays out the SMW mission, talks about how WCW buried the Midnights and how corporations have destroyed wrestling in a quick, yet really good promo.

Get used to this promo, you'll hear different versions of the same promo throughout the year on SMW TV.

Also, I wonder if they got the white sheet from the background from Cornette's closet...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Good promo, but kinda ridiculous when he talks about how wrestling as turned into a complete circus. Meanwhile, WCW was just at its all time best with the Dangerous Alliance and tons of good wrestling on TV. From day one, you get the same feel as ECW : we are the real deal. But infact, the first episode of SMW looked like a summer of 1990 episode of WCW TV, which is not a compliment.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Good promo, but kinda ridiculous when he talks about how wrestling as turned into a complete circus. Meanwhile, WCW was just at its all time best with the Dangerous Alliance and tons of good wrestling on TV. From day one, you get the same feel as ECW : we are the real deal. But infact, the first episode of SMW looked like a summer of 1990 episode of WCW TV, which is not a compliment.

I thought this exact thing when watching the show last night and how easily it could have been mistaken for an episode of World Championship Wrestling from 1990 (the arena, the jobbers (Cazana, Horowitz, Kyle), Dutch Mantel, Robert Gibson etc).

Fantasic interview by Cornette and the highlight of the debut episode. I liked his line about the big promotions turned wrestling into a circus and sideshow, so he turned his back on them. Talks about how these days its all about how many dolls you can sell at Toys 'R' Us and how juiced up on steroids you are. Without naming them, sets the story for the Heavenly Bodies to debut in a few weeks.

• 4 months later...

This was the best of both worlds for Corny; he could fire the crowd up and pave the way for the Bodies' debut and still get his shots in at the WWF and WCW at the same time.

I really liked most of what I saw on Will's SMW set, but '92 was kind of underrepresented, so I'm excited to see how it all started for the promotion.

Nice to see Bob Caudle again; this may sound weird for longtime JCP watchers, but I think he really did a lot of his best work here, especially with Dutch Mantel as his color man.

• 2 years later...

Looking forward to seeing what SMW becomes. Corny gives a great mission statement despite (as mentioned above) WCW's turnaround with the DA. A southern wrestling promotion based on tag team wrestling with a focus on the actual in-ring sounds pretty awesome to me. I did like how he accomplished that and still heeled himself with the fans.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-02-01-SMW-TV] Interview: Jim Cornette