Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-03-01-NJPW-Big Fight Series] Masa Chono vs Shinya Hashimoto

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

On the slow side, but brutal with lots of great selling. Hashimoto gets his nose bloodied early on and he and Chono exchange some really hard shots. I've already noticed that seeing the natives against each other in New Japan isn't the same guarantee of a decent match like it was in 1993 or 1996, based on some earlier matches on this set. But this is a very good match. Hashimoto wins with a jumping DDT.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A nicely understated match that I very much appreciated. They never left the ring, never cheated and didn't even run the ropes much. All the action took place in the heart of the squared circle. They created a certain intimacy and drew the viewer in. The moves were hard hitting and not too flashy. They stripped things down and produced a keen sporting contest between 2 evenly matched peers. On this day Hash got a degree of payback for the G1. There would be many battles down the line.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Very deliberate, but they crafted a nice long match without the need for a lot of 2-counts and very basic action until Hash's belly-to-belly superplex. Not a classic, but a showcase of two guys who knew how to work in addition to knowing how to brutalize each other.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This was almost fought like a shoot-style match at times with all the brutal kicks and chops. It was slow, but never boring, as you got the sense that these were two guys who knew each other well and were looking for an opening, not just resting or filling time.

Shinya breaking the STF twice, even by going to the ropes, is a huge deal and really puts him over as one of the toughest guys in the promotion. So does Chono taking two regular DDTs before succumbing to the jumping version that earned Shinya the win.

I didn't see the shot that bloodied Shinya's nose, but given the nature of the bout I'm surprised that Chono wasn't busted open somehow as well.

The most interesting thing about this bout is that these two are going to be partners later this month against Vader and Bam Bam. Will they be able to trust each other enough to work together against these two monsters? I can't wait to find out!

• 2 years later...

Good, stiff match between these two. Nothing spectacular, but it had all the stiff shots you could ask for and I liked that they kept it simple. With the way they wrestled the match going too big would have gone away from the expectation they had created.

• 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1992-03-01-NJPW-Big Fight Series] Masa Chono vs Shinya Hashimoto