Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-03-14-WWF-Superstars] Update: Wrestlemania Press Conference highlights

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

They show clips of a press conference in Indianapolis, where Flair arrives in a limo WEARING HIS ROBE. At a press conference?

Then, we cut to Vince interviewing Flair at a high-end restaurant while the piano is playing in the background. Flair talks about dissension in their marriage and says he has a shoulder waiting for Liz to cry on. Fun stuff.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

That Flair/Hogan didn't come off at WM is a ball-dropping of monumental proportions and there's no adequate substitute for it. That said...this is as perfect of a storyline for Flair as you could ask for in the WWF, and this angle done with either Flair or Rick Rude a few years earlier when the WWF was hotter would have been absolutely huge. Like, possible mainstream media penetration huge.

Vince's disgust at dinner with Flair is hilarious. Ric is absolutely awesome in this setting--no, it's not a Hogan feud, but it's a better use of heel Flair than just about anything WCW had done in Flair's final year and a half.

"We're not going to talk about that!"

"We're gonna talk about anything I want to, I'm the WWF Champion, have you forgotten?"

• 6 months later...

First thing you see is an ad for Super Wrestlemania on SNES. I got that game not long after it came out and hated it. The followup, Royal Rumble, was probably my favorite video game as a kid.

Loved Flair and McMahon. Vince's reactions to the stuff Flair was saying was hilarious.

"Let me assure you McMahon, the temperature in her pool is second to none."

!

• 1 year later...

Another incredible Flair promo, the kind of which he should have been doing all along in WCW, in style if not content. Vince is an even more effective moral policeman than Gene was in the earlier interview, but nothing and no one can stop The Champ when he's on a roll. The fresh opponents and fresh setting of the WWF have revitalized him, and being part of an angle that wasn't practically ended before it started (did anyone really believe that Vince was going to recognize the NWA belt in any way shape or form?) doesn't hurt a bit either.

I wonder how thrilled Vince was to have TNT brought up, even briefly. He sure couldn't get away from it fast enough when it was tanking in the ratings.

I know it really couldn't (and shouldn't) have happened, but can you imagine what the heat would have been like if Liz had acknowledged a (fictional) past relationship with Flair as part of the angle, and maybe even admitted that they'd been happy together at some point?

Pete said above that he thought that not having Flair-Hogan at Mania was a major "ball drop", as he put it. Not to me it wasn't. I know MSG matches weren't really a part of the WWF's televised narrative, but the fact remains that I saw Flair destroyed like a jobber and tossed to the floor of the Garden to lay there like a piece of garbage, not even worthy of being pinned by Hogan. You're telling me that I'd be more entertained by something like that than a Flair/Savage match that has so far been exquisitely set up with one of the most intriguing angles the WWF has run in years? Sorry, pal. For once, I'll take what Vince is giving me and be glad.

The robe over the suit was an odd look for Flair, I'll admit, but he pulled it off with aplomb. Hogan on the bus might have been the inspiration for the Lex Express; I'll leave it to each individual to decide whether that's good or bad.

The Hogan-Sid "confrontation" was just as phony (even by wrestling standards) as any of the ones you see today at boxing weigh-ins. They ceased to impress me after about the second one I saw.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-03-14-WWF-Superstars] Update: Wrestlemania Press Conference highlights
  • 1 year later...

The Flair robe-suit combination was superb.  I enjoyed the interview with Vince for all the reasons above.  At the same time, I was thinking that Vince very likely was internally agreeing with Flair 100% of the time, so kudos on the acting!